How to use msi afterburner?

The interface is kinda hard to read and im not sure how to use it 

Screenshot_25.png.8a6123926ce6927c3ef5e84a71803a12.png

^ thats the version im using

Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U *insert firetruck picture* :) 

1 minute ago, KhandakeF said:

The interface is kinda hard to read and im not sure how to use it 

^ thats the version im using

Go into the settings, and change the UI to Default Skin v3. It's much more intuitive that way.

7 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

So much unnessesary clutter. do as @Ryujin2003 saids and change it.

I never understood why the default view isn't the default view....

16 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Go into the settings, and change the UI to Default Skin v3. It's much more intuitive that way.

7 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

So much unnessesary clutter. do as @Ryujin2003 saids and change it.

Ok i did that. Now how do I tell when my overclocks are good and stuff?

PS: im on a laptop so can only overclock Core Clock and memory clock

Just now, KhandakeF said:

Those are usually the only two you can overclock. If you're on a laptop, im highly against doing so. To test a overclock you runa benchmark to check stability and framerates. Heaven is a example of a tool we use

7 minutes ago, KhandakeF said:

What laptop are you on? I generally (always) advise against laptop OC due to thermals.

But you would generally as a very small amount to the court clock and memory clock, like +20 to +50 on core and generally +150 on memory. I know my laptop"can" auto OC the GPU +200 on memory, but I just leave it as is. If I need more power, I'll use my desktop.

Coming is generally a thing in laptops. I usually undervolt my CPU awhile gaming, -130mv, and my temps are great with better gaming performance. When the CPU throttles, the performance is worse when constantly undervolt since it no longer throttles.

So, what laptop, and what are you trying to get at?

3 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

What laptop are you on? I generally (always) advise against laptop OC due to thermals.

But you would generally as a very small amount to the court clock and memory clock, like +20 to +50 on core and generally +150 on memory. I know my laptop"can" auto OC the GPU +200 on memory, but I just leave it as is. If I need more power, I'll use my desktop.

Coming is generally a thing in laptops. I usually undervolt my CPU awhile gaming, -130mv, and my temps are great with better gaming performance. When the CPU throttles, the performance is worse when constantly undervolt since it no longer throttles.

So, what laptop, and what are you trying to get at?

Alienware 15r3, and I'm actually experimenting as I have never overclocked before.

Curiosity, I might say :) 

1 minute ago, KhandakeF said:

Alienware 15r3, and I'm actually experimenting as I have never overclocked before.

Curiosity, I might say :) 

What. That thing has pretty decent cooling, but I'm not sure I would practice OC on a laptop. I think it's much less forgiving than a desktop...

Have you researchers the mechanics on what you're physically doing to the hardware?

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

What. That thing has pretty decent cooling, but I'm not sure I would practice OC on a laptop. I think it's much less forgiving than a desktop...

Have you researchers the mechanics on what you're physically doing to the hardware?

This is literally the only thing I own that has a high-powered dedicated graphics card

And isn't overclocking essentially increasing base clock/fan speeds and voltage to deliver more power and therefore more performance at the expense of heat output and power draw?

Just now, KhandakeF said:

This is literally the only thing I own that has a high-powered dedicated graphics card

And isn't overclocking essentially increasing base clock/fan speeds and voltage to deliver more power and therefore more performance at the expense of heat output and power draw?

Well, I guess fan speeds are implicit, but essentially yes. You on the rest for the most part.

In a desktop, the GPU is it's own physical thing. So it's easier to OC, and often the stress remains on itself.

On your laptop, just as with mine, the GTX 1060 is a dedicated GPU, but it's physically soldered onto the MB. The current and everything is shared between the GP TO and other components. It also (been a couple months since I took apart an R3), but I'm pretty sure the CPU and GPU share the same heat pipes, so the heat dissipation isn't the same as a desk top...

Laptops are a bit more delicate because they are all one whole unit. If there GPU fails it has an issue, it can much more result damage other parts.

Otherwise,  there are some YouTube videos out there. I'll see if I can find one for you.

Also if notr, another issue with laptops is Afterburner conflicts with the manufacturer fan sure software and voltage often times. So you might have to remove anything Dell may have installed.

Idk, have not tried the limit cause I'm afraid to break it, but i have been using this for almost a year now, maybe i can push it more, let me know how far you get.

gprUSpu.png

2 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Well, I guess fan speeds are implicit, but essentially yes. You on the rest for the most part.

In a desktop, the GPU is it's own physical thing. So it's easier to OC, and often the stress remains on itself.

On your laptop, just as with mine, the GTX 1060 is a dedicated GPU, but it's physically soldered onto the MB. The current and everything is shared between the GP TO and other components. It also (been a couple months since I took apart an R3), but I'm pretty sure the CPU and GPU share the same heat pipes, so the heat dissipation isn't the same as a desk top...

Laptops are a bit more delicate because they are all one whole unit. If there GPU fails it has an issue, it can much more result damage other parts.

Otherwise,  there are some YouTube videos out there. I'll see if I can find one for you.

Also if notr, another issue with laptops is Afterburner conflicts with the manufacturer fan sure software and voltage often times. So you might have to remove anything Dell may have installed.

2 hours ago, Kimmaz said:

Idk, have not tried the limit cause I'm afraid to break it, but i have been using this for almost a year now, maybe i can push it more, let me know how far you get.

gprUSpu.png

I actually can't change the Voltage, Power Limit and Fan speed.

Also, I ran Unigine Heaven and got a score of 3053 with a Core Clock of +92 and Memory Clock of +32. It started stuttering a bit towards the end and it went up to 75C

18 minutes ago, KhandakeF said:

Also, I ran Unigine Heaven and got a score of 3053 with a Core Clock of +92 and Memory Clock of +32. It started stuttering a bit towards the end and it went up to 75C

To change the fan speed, you have to click on user defined option and make your own, otherwise I'll do automatic.

14 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

To change the fan speed, you have to click on user defined option and make your own, otherwise I'll do automatic.

Hmm it doesn't seem like it lets me. I also trued enabling voltage manipulation, but even though I checked the box, after it restarted it wouldn't let me modify the voltage.

Probably because this is a laptop with a battery that doesn't allow voltage changes

1 hour ago, KhandakeF said:

I think my cpu is dragging me down, but its still too good in games to justify getting a new one this year, maybe next holiday.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 (4.1GHZ) - RAM: 8x2GB DDR3 1866MHz Timings 9-10-9-27 - Motherboard Model: 990FXA-UD5 - Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 2088mhz/4551mhz

Unigine Valley (extreme HD): 3285

Unigine Heaven (extreme): 2881

Msi afterburner cant even oc that far its rather boring. For nvidia i rather use the nvidia inspector and watch the clock on both (msi afterburner) to see what the average clock is. After that you can just flash it to permanent clock if you like that.