Disney strongly influenced EA's decision to temporarily remove Micro-transactions on Battlefront 2

AlTech
6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

There's a lot of things that are "basically gambling", this isn't gonna end here xD

Bye-bye gumball machines, you don't know what color you might end up with. "sorry sir you have to be 18 to have the liberty to watch the gumball spiral down to the bottom."

I'm just being facetious lol.

8 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Bye-bye gumball machines, you don't know what color you might end up with. "sorry sir you have to be 18 to have the liberty to watch the gumball spiral down to the bottom."

I'm just being facetious lol.

the line could be drawn in many different places but one potentially logical place imo would be if the chance leads to getting things of a different value that would affect your experience.  Obviously in the gumball example, they're all basically equal, it's not like one is much better than the others, but if you're buying loot crates and some of them have items worth $500 and some have items worth $5, or some are visual and some are game changing, that would be a problem.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

55 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

the line could be drawn in many different places but one potentially logical place imo would be if the chance leads to getting things of a different value that would affect your experience.  Obviously in the gumball example, they're all basically equal, it's not like one is much better than the others, but if you're buying loot crates and some of them have items worth $500 and some have items worth $5, or some are visual and some are game changing, that would be a problem.

Oh I know and I see what you are saying. That would be good as long as the line doesn't get moved around or tunneled under. Also in that scenario I could see arguments of what a person considers a different experience. In the case of the gumball if different colors mean different flavors then all it would take is for them to argue that as "chancing the experience" since different people will achieve different experiences and value those differently. I'm just trying to provide different angle of sight though.

For me though I won't voice my personal opinion, as I try to keep my opinions on these things neutral. I'm not arguing on either side. I was just trying be a little facetious like I said. Tensions get so high in topics like these I try lighten it up, if even a little. I "value" your input though... Ok I'm done lol

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

why does no one complain about arcade games that you win "tickets" on so you can get $2 toys with your tickets?

basically gambling as well... if you think about it

You can pick your toy with the tickets, and at least some of the games require actual skill.

Plus, the total amount of money being spent is really low.  The incentives and availability are not that strong.

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

why does no one complain about arcade games that you win "tickets" on so you can get $2 toys with your tickets?

basically gambling as well... if you think about it

Because it doesnt cost 80 bucks to just walk in and then even more money to raise the chances of winning said tickets over the normal amount i might win.

3 hours ago, kingfurykiller said:

You can pick your toy with the tickets, and at least some of the games require actual skill.

Plus, the total amount of money being spent is really low.  The incentives and availability are not that strong.

Also it's understood that no matter what you lose anyway (the cost of earning enough tickets for the prize will always be much higher than just buying the prize elsewhere) so the whole procedure is done just for fun, not actually for an expected net gain as an outcome.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.