RM750X heating up my PC?

Bush Badger

TL;DR 

Is my GPU heating up my PSU or my PSU heating up my GPU?

Basically I have a really weird GPU setup with 9 fans cooling it. Further details can be found in this thread HERENormally my idle temp does not go over 34 but today after a good gaming session i see my GPU temp heated up to 46-50 degrees idle temp so I got really concerned. I touched my PSU which is a RM750X (white edition) was a bit hot or warm to touch and the fans werent spinning. I know that PSU fans dont spin unless its under heavy load. For the mean while I turned my AC down to 21 degrees and hoping the ambient temp will help bring it down which it did down to 36. PSU is no longer hot but still a bit warm. Should I be worried? I also included a quick sketch up of how the air goes in my Core P3 with the 9 fans and my GPU. 

*side note I tried doing some 1440p with DSR to put some load on my GPU since my 4790k might be bottle necking

23635291_10159562356850076_390562769_n.jpg?oh=dd53d9b30011f426a0a18e12ca2c82d0&oe=5A0F05A4

sketch.png

@jonnyGURU designed your PSU and can probably help you a fair bit.

That said, the RMx fan will come on when the PSU gets hot, it's just that, to market the PSU as a "silent" component, the fan needs to not come on until it's really necessary. The PSU will feel hot and that's normal. No need to actively cool it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I didn't design that PSU.  LOL!  I was still working for jonnyGURU.com at that time.  :D

That said....  The PSU fan WILL turn on if the PSU gets too hot.  It doesn't just depend on load.  So I wouldn't worry about the PSU getting too hot. The heat of the housing shouldn't be making anything else hot unless you have something right on top of the PSU (like sitting right on the surface).

i also forgot to mention, will my Thermaltake premium riser cable be toasted since it is touching and pushed against the psu. 

55B0AF98-3DBC-4441-A7C3-059D0A34F1FC.jpeg

That doesn't matter.  The rubber insulation on that cable is massive.

12 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I didn't design that PSU.  LOL!  I was still working for jonnyGURU.com at that time.  :D

That said....  The PSU fan WILL turn on if the PSU gets too hot.  It doesn't just depend on load.  So I wouldn't worry about the PSU getting too hot. The heat of the housing shouldn't be making anything else hot unless you have something right on top of the PSU (like sitting right on the surface).

The RMx wasn't designed by you?

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The RMx wasn't designed by you?

No!

I didn't even start as a PSU product manager @ Corsair until half way through the SF Series product development.  Only Corsair PSU that I was PM for from beginning to launch was the HX (whoppie!  I removed Link!), TX-M (let's upgrade CS-M) and white RMx (and that shouldn't count since it's just RMx with white cables!)  :D

And since I've been in the R&D department, nothing I have worked on has even launched (not until Q1 2018)!

8 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

No!

I didn't even start as a PSU product manager @ Corsair until half way through the SF Series product development.  Only Corsair PSU that I was PM for from beginning to launch was the HX (whoppie!  I removed Link!), TX-M (let's upgrade CS-M) and white RMx (and that shouldn't count since it's just RMx with white cables!)  :D

And since I've been in the R&D department, nothing I have worked on has even launched (not until Q1 2018)!

Huh, well alright then! The more you know. I must have misread that you engineered everything from the TX-M up.

How exactly does someone get a job as yours? I'm in community college now with about 10-15 ideas about where I'd like to go in life and wondering how you get to be in R&D at Corsair. 

25 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Huh, well alright then! The more you know. I must have misread that you engineered everything from the TX-M up.

TX-M Gold, which launched this year, I was the PM.  That launched way after RMx.  RMx is about three years old.

The original TX-M?  That thing dates back to when I worked at BFG!

12 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

It sounds like you know what you're talking about so I have a quick question that you may be able to help with!

I have a tiny case, a Silverstone RVZ03 case. I also have a full sized PSU inside of it and under load after an hour or so it'll heat up rather significantly (as PSUs normally do). If I put my face right in the PSU it smells like hot electronics/hot plastic (NOT burning). I've never been that close to a running PSU until I started using this case so I'm not sure if this is normal. When the system has been off for numerous hours and you put your face on the PSU grill you can still sorta smell it. It basically smells like a hot version of what it smelled like when I first took it out of the box when I got it (about 3 weeks ago). 

This is my first ULTRA tight build, so I'm worried that the PSU heat is radiating into the PSU cables that are crammed above it (see images). 

Am I just overreacting or is there potential for something bad here (I felt the wires immediately after turning it off and they didn't feel super hot). 

211674.e75cce3ee396a1449da6f3e57c2a5059.1600.jpg

211674.241af43bdd49e77288c1b9dd76747dc9.1600.jpg

What PSU is that?  Is the fan spinning?  Is it obstructed? 

14 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Looks like Seasonic Focus Plus...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

41 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's a seasonic platinum PSU . I believe it's the focus version, yes

55 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's a seasonic platinum PSU . I believe it's the focus version, yes. The fans spin up when needed and the fan is not obstructed. There is a fan grill on the other side where the PSU can take in cool air to blow at components. 

My system doesn't do anything weird or anything that may suggest an issue. I think it's just "hot computer smell", but am curious to hear what you think.

Ok.  If it's Platinum, the PSU itself shouldn't be generating that much heat.  The housing might feel hot to the touch because Seasonic uses the PSU housing as a heatsink.  The +12V MOSFET are on the bottom of the PCB right up against the housing.  So it's going to be hot to the touch.

The smell is because Seasonic doesn't clean their boards after SMT, so they often smell of flux.