Computer won't turn on. Flashing lights on the motherboard

Hi. I have an MSI Z170A Gaming M3 motherboard that has a flashing blue light and another red light. The computer itself wont turn on. I was trying to install a heatsink fan and the metal bit at the end of the measuring tape turned off the computer. Any advice on how to get my desktop working again? I can't start anything and the only thing that's on are the two lights. I haven't built this computer myself so I don't really know where everything is. I had this computer for almost a year and this is the first time this happened to me.

Have you tried resetting the CMOS, unplugging the power cable with the pc turned off at the main switch at the back, plug it back in, turn on the main switch, then press the power switch at the front/top wherever? Also, what do you mean by 'the metal bit at the end of the measuring tape turned off the computer?' Did you install the fan with the pc still plugged in and turned on?

6 minutes ago, abduscot said:

I was trying to install a heatsink fan and the metal bit at the end of the measuring tape turned off the computer.

You what? You were trying to install a heatsink fan while the computer was running? What metal piece? This?

measuring-tape.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

Where was this computer built? IS it a pre-build or did someone else build it for you? If you have the computer manual then I would consult that. It could be because something on the motherboard is not connected like maybe the power is not put in all the way or maybe something else. The best bet would be to consult the manual if you still have it.

8 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Have you tried resetting the CMOS, unplugging the power cable with the pc turned off at the main switch at the back, plug it back in, turn on the main switch, then press the power switch at the front/top wherever?

This would be my suggestion as well, but press the power button a few times before plugging it back up. Drain whatever juice may still be present. Give it a few minutes while you cross your fingers, then plug it up and turn it on.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

12 minutes ago, johndms said:

You what? You were trying to install a heatsink fan while the computer was running? What metal piece? This?

measuring-tape.jpg

Yea im dumb

14 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Have you tried resetting the CMOS, unplugging the power cable with the pc turned off at the main switch at the back, plug it back in, turn on the main switch, then press the power switch at the front/top wherever? Also, what do you mean by 'the metal bit at the end of the measuring tape turned off the computer?' Did you install the fan with the pc still plugged in and turned on?

Ill try resetting the CMOS now and post results 

Just now, abduscot said:

Yea im dumb

You could have shorted out something. You could have actually fried something. I wold also just unplug and turn on and off like johndms said

Just now, PJSeiler said:

You could have shorted out something. You could have actually fried something. I wold also just unplug and turn on and off like johndms said

Wait how do I know if I didnt already destroy something? Like the computer didnt fry up or anything, just turned off 

Just now, abduscot said:

Wait how do I know if I didnt already destroy something? Like the computer didnt fry up or anything, just turned off 

If something does not turn on and you were putting power through it, this could mean that you broke something. If you have any place or anyone that you know that knows PCs then ask them to look at it. But too much power could have gone into a part of your motherboard which could have fried it. In my science class today I learned that power will take the less resistant way to travel to someplace. The metal piece was the less resistant path. Too much power could have traveled through the metal piece and into your motherboard.

1 hour ago, abduscot said:

well when you short the board it can cause a cap to pop or fry any little resister on the board. if nothing you try works take a flashlight and see if any capacitors look bulged or if there are any pieces that look like they were burnt, it could be just a tiny brown discoloration on it. 

35 minutes ago, abduscot said:

Hi. I have an MSI Z170A Gaming M3 motherboard that has a flashing blue light and another red light. The computer itself wont turn on. I was trying to install a heatsink fan and the metal bit at the end of the measuring tape turned off the computer. Any advice on how to get my desktop working again? I can't start anything and the only thing that's on are the two lights. I haven't built this computer myself so I don't really know where everything is. I had this computer for almost a year and this is the first time this happened to me.

Have you tried swaping power supplies ur PSU could be failing

Just now, 1NIGHTMAREGAMER said:

Have you tried swaping power supplies ur PSU could be failing

I don't think it would be that. Because he said that he was swapping put a CPU cooler when the PC was on. I think it is a motherboard problem. 

Just now, PJSeiler said:

I don't think it would be that. Because he said that he was swapping put a CPU cooler when the PC was on. I think it is a motherboard problem. 

But if  mother board blinking it could have damaged PSU and getting under wattage needed to turn on or like u said Mo could be dead 

1 minute ago, PJSeiler said:

I was measuring if the fan would fit inside the can, and i think the metal bit hit the motherboard and turned off the computer. 

Just now, 1NIGHTMAREGAMER said:

But if  mother board blinking it could have damaged PSU and getting under wattage needed to turn on or like u said Mo could be dead 

Since when do u mess withinside of PC while on anyways xD

1 minute ago, abduscot said:

I was measuring if the fan would fit inside the can, and i think the metal bit hit the motherboard and turned off the computer. 

I am kind of in the blue. Was the computer on or off. Even if the computer was off you should have the computer turned off. 

There are a lot of variables with this situation. I would check the motherboard. The motherboard I honestly think in the culprit here.