Performance? FX-overclocked vs Ryzen-stock

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

No, it will not.

It will get stomped by Ryzen.

Okay, I'm lazy to research but I want to get back into PC for both video editing and gaming. 

I've had the AMD FX-8350 and it operated well "okaay" on some cases and I would like to buy it again. Been debating that either I'd go newer Ryzen 7 1700x for the 8 cores or the classic FX-8350. Although that the FX is cheaper than the Ryzen. 

But, the question is will the FX Overclocked operate as good as the stock Ryzen? 

This isn't even a fair comparison. Any Ryzen chip will be better then a FX chip.

ryzen will be better as it is supported and may be improved in the future

If you judge a fish based on its ability to climb trees it will go its whole life thinking its a failure.

yeah like they all said. also don't buy the X version. just get the regular 1700. because you can OC that on stock cooler to 3.8 and it's better than even the 1800x at that point

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

5 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

yeah like they all said. also don't buy the X version. just get the regular 1700. because you can OC that on stock cooler to 3.8 and it's better than even the 1800x at that point

dafak

3.8GHz with stock cooler with well-ventilated case 

also, 1800X has the second best silicon, These chips hit minimally 4GHz, usually 4.1GHz and sometimes even 4.2GHz+

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

35 minutes ago, dave_k said:

dafak

3.8GHz with stock cooler with well-ventilated case 

also, 1800X has the second best silicon, These chips hit minimally 4GHz, usually 4.1GHz and sometimes even 4.2GHz+

that is absolutely false and highly dependant on motherboard more than the chip. they 1800x doesn't have "better" silicon. they clocked it higher a bit like they did with the 95XX FX chips. they just overclocked it pretty much just like you would manually, as evident by the higher TDP. if it was really better and clocked higher at lower voltages it would be pretty much the same TDP.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

No, it will not.

It will get stomped by Ryzen.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I can speak from first hand. I have an FX-8350 at 4.7ghz. I use it everyday for games and video editing. I also have a Ryzen 7 1700x and even at stock it stomps the FX-8350. Overclock to 3.9ghz and it is literally twice as fast. The fx gets a 744 in Cinebench, the Ryzen gets a 1733. Plus going with a am4 mobo will be better for future proofing the system. Only time I would advise on an FX-8350 is when they are super cheaper and to do a very low budget build. It can perform well, but is no comparison to Ryzen 

Current System: MoonLightRyzen

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.9ghz  Board: Asus ROG C6H  Ram: G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 3000mhz  Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC in SLI M.2: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512gb x2 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB and 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM850x White  Cooler: XSPC/Phanteks Custom Loop 

Backup System: RedDragonV3.0

FX-8350 @ 4.7ghz, Asus TUF Sabertooth 990fx r3.0, MSI GTX 1060 6gb Gaming X, Crucial Balistix Tracer 32gb, M.2 Samsung 960 Evo 250,

Seagate Firecudda 2tb, Seagate Barracuda 2tb, NZXT S340 Elite White, Kraken X62, Corsair RM750x, Hue+