NFS Payback .... letting us down again

Rackooo

So i just had enough of the franchise because every game was hyped through the roof but didnt deliver in the end. needles to say i fell in love with payback the first time i saw the trailer, thinking to myself did they actually learn from their previous mistkes and made a game that we can actually enjoy. preodered it and installed on my pc, and i wasnt even 2 minutes in the game to notice the effing stuttery mess that the game is. the framerate is all over the place. played the proulogue mission (just barely, since it was a slide show), got better after that but still. t have a ryzen 1600x with 16gigs of memory and a auros gtx1080, and i cant run the game normaly. needles to say i am not the only one and probably every NFS Payback owner is ranting about the performance. Waste of money.

i just cant believe they can release the game so badly optimized, i mean what the F is going through the minds of ghost games quality control checks, when they try this stutter fest and say, yes put it on the shelves???

Not only that the game is full of glitches, textur bugs, pop in, a mess in general.

Sadly an addictive storyline but bad presentation.... AGAIN!

2 minutes ago, Rackooo said:

So i just had enough of the franchise because every game was hyped through the roof but didnt deliver in the end. needles to say i fell in love with payback the first time i saw the trailer, thinking to myself did they actually learn from their previous mistkes and made a game that we can actually enjoy. preodered it and installed on my pc, and i wasnt even 2 minutes in the game to notice the effing stuttery mess that the game is. the framerate is all over the place. played the proulogue mission (just barely, since it was a slide show), got better after that but still. t have a ryzen 1600x with 16gigs of memory and a auros gtx1080, and i cant run the game normaly. needles to say i am not the only one and probably every NFS Payback owner is ranting about the performance. Waste of money.

i just cant believe they can release the game so badly optimized, i mean what the F is going through the minds of ghost games quality control checks, when they try this stutter fest and say, yes put it on the shelves???

Not only that the game is full of glitches, textur bugs, pop in, a mess in general.

Sadly an addictive storyline but bad presentation.... AGAIN!

My guess they were pressured for time. Future updates will probably fix all of the above you just listed. 

What's the gameplay in terms of story/action like? 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

Just now, IKnight said:

My guess they were pressured for time. Future updates will probably fix all of the above you just listed. 

What's the gameplay in terms of story/action like? 

the gameplay is very linear even the cop chases everything seems scripted althi it is fun to play and very action packed. but the performance really destroys the game

That's unfortunate. I really liked NFS Rivals and was looking forward to this one.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

Same with a 6700k and 1080Ti. Get´s better after all the early missions. The system for car performance upgrades sucks imo...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

1 minute ago, njmyers3 said:

That's unfortunate. I really liked NFS Rivals and was looking forward to this one.

yes same here i am very unhappy that they can f**k up an otherwise good game. i hope they really patch it but i cant get over the fact that people with i7 8700k and gtx 1080 ti computers even get this stutter. it even looks like a hdd streaming problem, but i formated a Samsung 850 evo dedicated for the game

1 minute ago, racer243l said:

Same with a 6700k and 1080Ti. Get´s better after all the early missions. The system for car performance upgrades sucks imo...

it is definetly not a HW problem, everyone is having such isusses. yes i was like wth too when i saw the performance upgrade system

5 minutes ago, Rackooo said:

it is definetly not a HW problem, everyone is having such isusses. yes i was like wth too when i saw the performance upgrade system

Especially as a car enthusiast the way it´s handled is very dissapointing

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

Just now, racer243l said:

Especially as a car enthusiast the way it´s handled is very dissapointing

tell me bout it im a car painter and spent a lot of time under hoods aswell so this is a joke. if i am being honest the colors are one of the only pretty things as far as modding goes in this game (the visual upgrades are unlocked so far in the game that its not even worth customizing)

You meant Need for Speed Checkpoints and Cutscenes?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

You meant Need for Speed Checkpoints and Cutscenes?

Yes that should actualy be the title haha

15 hours ago, Rackooo said:

tell me bout it im a car painter and spent a lot of time under hoods aswell so this is a joke. if i am being honest the colors are one of the only pretty things as far as modding goes in this game (the visual upgrades are unlocked so far in the game that its not even worth customizing)

Did you play The Crew? It feels like a cheap rip off of that system. I have to agree, the colours and the wrap editor as a whole actually good. I liked it in NFS 2015 already, which I liked to call Wrapping Simulator 2015 as it was the best thing about the game.

And like xAcid9 said Payback seems like NfS Cutscenes wrap editor simulator so far...

1 hour ago, racer243l said:

Did you play The Crew? It feels like a cheap rip off of that system. I have to agree, the colours and the wrap editor as a whole actually good. I liked it in NFS 2015 already, which I liked to call Wrapping Simulator 2015 as it was the best thing about the game.

And like xAcid9 said Payback seems like NfS Cutscenes wrap editor simulator so far...

It is exactly like the crew that is the first thing my brother said. But the crew got it right. Nfs franchise is dying or it is time for a developer change because ghost games cant seem to put out a good game.

15 minutes ago, asus killer said:

too bad criterion did not made any more NFS or Burnout games

Thats right at least they know what a fun game is

Strange, i saw many benchies showing Payback a great port from EA Access gameplays, even 1050 Ti was doing Ultra 50 fps

4 hours ago, GitGud said:

Strange, i saw many benchies showing Payback a great port from EA Access gameplays, even 1050 Ti was doing Ultra 50 fps

The funny thing is the fps dont even drop during the stutters, it has to be a streaming issue

I found the last need for speed stuttered like hell and would sometimes fall though the road when I had shadowplay enabled.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

10 hours ago, leelaa14 said:

I found the last need for speed stuttered like hell and would sometimes fall though the road when I had shadowplay enabled.

I had the same issuses with the previous nfs, just thought meh its because ryzen is new and it isnt optimised for it. Now they have no excuse. I guess they jus took the same base game and modified it

5930K @ 4.5 and 1070 here, only really noticed stuttering during the movie scenes, the framerate ingame wasn't all that consistent but never problematic.  I played in 1080p, on "high" settings and with only the basic Nvidia 388.13 driver. (no physx driver, no GeForce Experience, no 3D or audio driver, I always un-select that stuff)

I bought the game, played it for 14 hours straight and got a refund. 

The story was okay-ish but certainly not original, the physics aren't terrible but I really wouldn't call them good either. 

What killed the game it for me is the lack of Toyotas (Supra fan) and the lack of a freeroam lobby.  I'm also not a fan of the whole gambling/prizecard thing.

I used to play NFS World and there always were meetings in several locations to show off our cars in-game.  That was a big part of the game's appeal, we'd spend hours and hours on the vinyls, either creating replicas of Fast & Furious cars or coming up with the wildest things.  I just can't be bothered to do it in Payback because now the only way to show off your work is to post pictures in a forum, and that just isn't the same. 

Also the physics in NFSW were simply better.  None of that drift nonsense.  So yeah, I'm still waiting for a decent replacement for NFSW

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

5930K @ 4.5 and 1070 here, only really noticed stuttering during the movie scenes, the framerate ingame wasn't all that consistent but never problematic.  I played in 1080p, on "high" settings and with only the basic Nvidia 388.13 driver. (no physx driver, no GeForce Experience, no 3D or audio driver, I always un-select that stuff)

I bought the game, played it for 14 hours straight and got a refund. 

The story was okay-ish but certainly not original, the physics aren't terrible but I really wouldn't call them good either. 

What killed the game it for me is the lack of Toyotas (Supra fan) and the lack of a freeroam lobby.  I'm also not a fan of the whole gambling/prizecard thing.

I used to play NFS World and there always were meetings in several locations to show off our cars in-game.  That was a big part of the game's appeal, we'd spend hours and hours on the vinyls, either creating replicas of Fast & Furious cars or coming up with the wildest things.  I just can't be bothered to do it in Payback because now the only way to show off your work is to post pictures in a forum, and that just isn't the same. 

Also the physics in NFSW were simply better.  None of that drift nonsense.  So yeah, I'm still waiting for a decent replacement for NFSW

I have the same driver without geforce experience, and the other crap except for physics. Will try unistalling that today and se if it makes any change but i doubt it will. To me stuttering occurs even in freeroam (not that intensive but still if you know it is there you can spot it). During cop chases it literally looks like the whole game frezzes sometimes.

What version of windows are you running?

And some of the cpu cores even reach 92% utilisation in freeroam (tried disabling SMT too). This is not normal for a game like this. Even crysis isnt such a cpu and gpu hog

Payback gets a mixed reception from me.

The map and the cars are great and the cops are much better than before, but I really feel that the storyline was cheesy, the voice acting wasn’t good and honestly, the free roam just feels empty. There’s no actual cop chase that you can do Most-Wanted style. 

Imagine getting away from corrupted cops with Skyhammer and Killswitches and if you get busted, you get a strike on your car and with 3 strikes, you lose the car to the House and if you want it back, you have to bet another car and win in order to do so.

Think about it, that would be nice.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1