Asus Strix 1080ti / NZXT S340 Incompatibility

EvelynX

Greetings folks!

Just a word on compatibility if anyone with the ever popular an NZXT S340 is thinking of going for an Asus Strix 1080ti.

There is a slight problem fitting the GPU as the holes for the screws that attatch the GPU to the PCI slots dont quite reach.
The GPU fits in the system of course, but if you want it to be attached any more securely than the PCIE socket, you're out of luck!
I've made do and the video card is mostly held in place by the bracket alongside the PCIE screws. This card is unwieldy though and I'd have liked to be able to actually screw it in place firmly.

Looks like I need a case upgrade!

Gaming with: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC SLI @1950mhz & r7 2700x@4.2ghz / GSkill 3466mhz CL14 (1440p165hz)
Loitering with: Galaxy S8+

Can you send a picture of the issue so people can understand what is going on better?

so the case is blocking access to the screws,can you send a picture?
was a bit tough to reach in my 780t too

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

Just now, McHox said:

so the case is blocking access to the screws,can you send a picture?
was a bit tough to reach in my 780t too

Yeah, the S340 takes a bit of force to get the holes lined up just right.

I will take a photo when I get home tomorrow.
The amount of force I would need to line up the holes on the GPU to the holes in the case is not something I am comfortable with.
I couldn't even get them close enough to have the screw go in at an angle in that ganky way you sometimes can.

I would say that if a lined up screw hole is 100% and the holes not lined up at all is 0%, I can get the holes to about 60% lined up. Not enough to fit the screw in at all.

Gaming with: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC SLI @1950mhz & r7 2700x@4.2ghz / GSkill 3466mhz CL14 (1440p165hz)

I have to use that much force on my ACX GTX 970. That's nothing new. The holes are lined up to the millimeter perfect so if they're not fitting your GPU then you're not lifting the GPU up high enough.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

23 minutes ago, ChocoROID said:

Greetings folks!

Just a word on compatibility if anyone with the ever popular an NZXT S340 is thinking of going for an Asus Strix 1080ti.

There is a slight problem fitting the GPU as the holes for the screws that attatch the GPU to the PCI slots dont quite reach.
The GPU fits in the system of course, but if you want it to be attached any more securely than the PCIE socket, you're out of luck!
I've made do and the video card is mostly held in place by the bracket alongside the PCIE screws. This card is unwieldy though and I'd have liked to be able to actually screw it in place firmly.

Looks like I need a case upgrade!

I tend to believe that's more human error, as this is the first I'm hearing of this issue.

Examples of S340's and Asus Strix 1080ti's

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/zbkdnQ

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/NjWD4D

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/8Cr6Mp

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Wh9J7P

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/drGG3C

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/YXfH99

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

GTX 970

I've upgraded from two Strix 970s and didnt have this issue with those. I've removed those cards a dozen times and didn't have the issue.

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I tend to believe that's more human error,

Its worth looking into what exactly might be causing it and I will. Maybe a cable on the MB is interfering with it that wasnt an issue with previous cards. It is larger after all.
The other cards I have access to don't have this issue so there is something to it to get to the bottom of.

11 minutes ago, ChocoROID said:

I've upgraded from two Strix 970s and didnt have this issue with those. I've removed those cards a dozen times and didn't have the issue.

Its worth looking into what exactly might be causing it and I will. Maybe a cable on the MB is interfering with it that wasnt an issue with previous cards. It is larger after all.
The other cards I have access to don't have this issue so there is something to it to get to the bottom of.

Might be an issue with some people and not others. Either way, it does fit if you tighten it snugly and thus far I've removed my GTX 970 dozens of times without issue and each time it's been difficult to get the PCI slot screws back in place.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||