A WATER COOLED POWER SUPPLY? ARE THEY NUTS??

Are they nuts? Yes...

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

this product is stupid. its more risk for no real gain over buying another high quality PSU of the same wattage, and id guess this PSU is going to cost more then an equivlent wattage and good quality air cooled PSU

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I get the idea - but seriously? What's the chance of your PSU overheating nowadays?

I'm sticking with air though.

I'm guessing it could be similar to Bitfenix Whisper M where the MOSFET are on the opposite side of the PCB with through PCB heatsinks soldered right next to them.

So the block could directly cool them.

I like custom WC in general, but wtf this thing is just stupid.

If the WC would actually work properly then it could be an option in insane rigs like the compensator or or desk pc or whatever.

But this thing, no. SIlly idea and sadly badly executed.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I think this idea has a chance but their idea is probably flawed. Why is the water block only mounted on the bottom of the PCB? Why not in like a go all the way around, eliminate the fan all together and try to cool all four sides of the PCB at once.

I would buy a watercooled power supply simply because I don't want to have any fans at all in my desktop.  Right now my AX1500i's fan is the only fan in the thing.  

The problem with this PSU specifically is that the fan is load based and not temperature based, which would make it completely fucking worthless.

Y'all should have shoved some cardboard in to block the fan spinning and seen if it can survive with water only.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

5 hours ago, 1kv said:

I get the idea - but seriously? What's the chance of your PSU overheating nowadays?

I'm sticking with air though.

Earlier in my life I thought it might be a good idea to measure the temps, although I didn't have a thermometer with me, so I just reached on in there to check the heatsink.

Results were shocking.

This is just a niche and has no added value what so ever. First of all, I don't see the fan disappearing any time soon. On a GPU or CPU you can determine the load and throttle back if your cooling isn't adequate. On a PSU the load is determined by external factors and thus you don't have that extra layer of security. This means that if your GPU would throttle up and your PSU isn't cooled properly, things will break. Literally! Take the heatsink of a MOSFET and watch it explode.

Second, the components have a wide temperate rating, usually the operating temperature is between -55 to +175C, so they can take a little bit of extra heat no problem. The problem isn't a bit of extra heat, the problem is keeping the temperature as steady as possible so you don't cause heat stress and also the output voltage is as stable as possible. Heat stress will kill any piece of electronics given time.

So having the extra little bit of cooling from a waterblock doesn't do help at all, only thing it does is introduce an extra safety hazard when leaks occur. Having said this, if you don't have a heatsink that interfaces with the components directly then there's no use for it all anyway and having the heatsink interface with the components directly is going to be very expensive as the block will have a very very odd shape.

This is just a stupid niche!

dunno, couldn't they submerge whole PSU in some kind of low-conductivity high-thermal-capacity liquid(oil) and just run it thru whole AiO?

RGB would have brought more performance benefits. 

Gosh Dammit FSP, Get your act together, you should know this by now. 

Quite frankly that PSU was a failure :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 hours ago, HimymCZe said:

dunno, couldn't they submerge whole PSU in some kind of low-conductivity high-thermal-capacity liquid(oil) and just run it thru whole AiO?

Watch the fishtank PC series, can be done with mineral oil has lots of problems and drawbacks.

18 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I would buy a watercooled power supply simply because I don't want to have any fans at all in my desktop.  Right now my AX1500i's fan is the only fan in the thing.  

The problem with this PSU specifically is that the fan is load based and not temperature based, which would make it completely fucking worthless.

Y'all should have shoved some cardboard in to block the fan spinning and seen if it can survive with water only.

why no fans?  Do you want to eliminate the noise?  Because from my understanding water pumps in the water-cooled systems make noise too.  

2 hours ago, CooperMyers said:

why no fans?  Do you want to eliminate the noise?  Because from my understanding water pumps in the water-cooled systems make noise too.  

Yes, no noise.

Pumps turned down to their lowest speed setting are inaudible unless you put your ear up next to them.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

9 hours ago, HimymCZe said:

looks like its MINERAL OIL TIME again.

On 11/9/2017 at 10:10 AM, VegetableStu said:

Heavy, Messy, and Expensive

(my nicknames in high school)

Why?
You dont have to fill the whole volume if you made the "canal" right.
How is AiO Messy?
therefore why would be expensive?

On 11/9/2017 at 3:23 PM, maksakal said:

Watch the fishtank PC series, can be done with mineral oil has lots of problems and drawbacks.

I understand that oil is not the best liquid to use, due to low viscosity, but there must be other high-viscosity low-conductivity liquid...

6 hours ago, HimymCZe said:

I understand that oil is not the best liquid to use, due to low viscosity, but there must be other high-viscosity low-conductivity liquid...

Yes, that's what I meant with "lots of problems and drawbacks", not to forget the absurd maintenance issues (watch the followup). There is evaporative cooling with a synthetic liquid called 3M Novec 7000, but it's patented as crap and requires special machinery. It requires a sealed cabinet which is slightly pressurized, making it a challenge to build cases. Because it's patented it costs alot, like alot alot. Some guy did a PC build and said he paid 1500 euro's for a few liters of it. You will need top ups, so the TCO will only get worse overtime. I'm not really sure about the health hazards, I for one wouldn't go near it without a mask and gloves. Nonetheless some people have taken on the challenge and there are vids of it on Youtube.

Other then that, draft cooling is still the easiest and cheapest.

• 1 month later...
On 8. 11. 2017 at 8:53 PM, nicklmg said:

I did a water cooled PSU a long time ago in P4 times, socket 478. I kept only the water blocks:

and I have my home mate water cooled cpu system

zdroj2.jpg

zdroj1.jpg

vodnik1.jpg

vodny blok.jpg