Civilization Maxing Out GPU

CrippledROBOT
Go to solution Solved by Ithanul,

Games are not code the same, and each will load a GPU differently depending on what the game is using.

Also, take into account games can vary by game engine, and some studios can even do custom modifications to an engine.  Another thing to take into account, since computers can have wide variations in hardware configurations, developers have to code in a way to make a game run across different builds.  Plus, even drivers can affect performance, as hardware is only as good as the software that can leverage it.

I have a GTX 1080Ti from EVGA hooked up to a new 1440p, 144hz Gsync monitor. In games such as BF1, Cities Skylines, etc, it does extremely well, but Civ 6 seems to be giving it a run for its money. For whatever reason, the game is running the GPU at 99% and keeping the fans at 75%, which is actually higher than what a more intense game such as BF1 would do. What is going on here?

Maybe it's just that much more demanding?  Or maybe is the framerate uncapped in Civ but capped in other games?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Games are not code the same, and each will load a GPU differently depending on what the game is using.

Also, take into account games can vary by game engine, and some studios can even do custom modifications to an engine.  Another thing to take into account, since computers can have wide variations in hardware configurations, developers have to code in a way to make a game run across different builds.  Plus, even drivers can affect performance, as hardware is only as good as the software that can leverage it.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Maybe it's just that much more demanding?  Or maybe is the framerate uncapped in Civ but capped in other games?

I'd be really surprised. Maybe it has to do something with FPS caps?

4 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

True. I may have to turn some settings down or something so my GPU isn't so loud 

Civ 6 always has been a demanding game more on the CPU but since its at 1440p and 144hz max settings (maybe) so it makes sense why its at 100% and is any background tasking running in the background that use the GPU?

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

5 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

Civ 6 always has been a demanding game more on the CPU but since its at 1440p and 144hz max settings (maybe) so it makes sense why its at 100% and is any background tasking running in the background that use the GPU?

Nothing that I can think of. A Chrome tab or two and HWMonitor, but that's all. In across-system demanding games like BF1 my CPU will reach 80c, yet GPU will peak at around 70c and fans running more quiet. 

Just now, CrippledROBOT said:

Nothing that I can think of. A Chrome tab or two and HWMonitor, but that's all. In across-system demanding games like BF1 my CPU will reach 80c, yet GPU will peak at around 70c and fans running more quiet. 

Whats your CPU and cooling for it?

Gpu should be at 100 use. Don't see the issue. Turn the fans down and let it burn or put it under water. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

My CPU is the i5 8600k and the cooler is a Cryorig C1. Here's a link to the build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/YjWD4D

Yeah Im sure its the cooler thats letting the CPU get that hot and is it stock or OCed?

2 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

Yeah Im sure its the cooler thats letting the CPU get that hot and is it stock or OCed?

It's definitely the cooler and case and the fact that Coffee Lake just runs hot I suppose. I have the XMP profile set (which raises voltages and temps a little bit), AND I have a 4.6ghz overclock using a 1.2vcore.

From my research, these temperatures SHOULDN'T damage the CPU in the long-run, it's the voltages that ultimately kill it.

It's definitely the cooler and case and the fact that Coffee Lake just runs hot I suppose. I have the XMP profile set (which raises voltages and temps a little bit), AND I have a 4.6ghz overclock using a 1.2vcore.

From my research, these temperatures SHOULDN'T damage the CPU in the long-run, it's the voltages that ultimately kill it.

Ok and its the resolution thats killing the GPU usage