Learning to code with my 5-year old! - Kano Computer Kit Showcase

Nice RPi3B you got there. Don't even need to watch any of the video to know that it's good

Little lad is hilarious, might want to give him some new examples for words starting with c though. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Kinda surprised they didn't show the RGB capabilities of the additional shield. The meme's getting old anyway.

Working with his son has given Linus great training in working with the employees at LMG.

Kano doesn't ship to Canada... but Linus got one.... how the hell does that work? I tried to order one, and got shutdown.

We got a few of these at work (a school) that I messed around with and it was really slow loading the modules.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

3 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

We got a few of these at work (a school) that I messed around with and it was really slow loading the modules.

That's okay, I am a slow learner.xD

Does anyone know how he was using the razer blade as a display for the raspberry pi?

6 minutes ago, squuur said:

That's okay, I am a slow learner.xD

If you select the "coding" or whatever it's called from the main menu, it took 10 minutes just to load into that. Once loaded it was fine but that was a serious bottleneck imo.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

1 minute ago, MrEnthusiastic said:

Does anyone know how he was using the razer blade as a display for the raspberry pi?

Some remote control program like teamviewer probably.

1 minute ago, MrEnthusiastic said:

Pretty sure he was using the Computer Kit from Kano. It lets you use any computer you already own as a display device. You can get a screen kit though.

12 minutes ago, squuur said:

Pretty sure he was using the Computer Kit from Kano. It lets you use any computer you already own as a display device. You can get a screen kit though.

or just use the HDMI cable that came with it and plug into any TV/monitor with HDMI

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

or just use the HDMI cable that came with it and plug into any TV/monitor with HDMI

Yea, I mispoke (typed?) Any HDMI device would do the trick.

2 hours ago, squuur said:

Kano doesn't ship to Canada... but Linus got one.... how the hell does that work? I tried to order one, and got shutdown.

"This item ships to City, Canada"  https://www.amazon.com/Kano-2017-Computer-Learning-Kit/dp/B073VTCS66/ Same price as the site too.

Plus even if that wasn't the case Kano can ship the product to Mars if they really wanted too, while we can't buy from them directly Linus can get one shipped to him at the company's discretion.

why is anyone buying these, for this price you could buy way more powerfull SBC like latte panda or odroid xu4 if you want arm and logitech k400, both of which are miles more powerful devices not to mention how much better the k400 is compared to junk that kano includes

this is not worth more than 70USD tops

or if you really want RPI, you can just buy that, wireless keyboard and a case with active cooling and still save almost half the price...

14 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Some remote control program like teamviewer probably.

that would be an odd choice I though a capture card running in full screen. 

it is more about the education experience then the price. 

2 hours ago, Grimy said:

why is anyone buying these, for this price you could buy way more powerfull SBC like latte panda or odroid xu4 if you want arm and logitech k400, both of which are miles more powerful devices not to mention how much better the k400 is compared to junk that kano includes

this is not worth more than 70USD tops

or if you really want RPI, you can just buy that, wireless keyboard and a case with active cooling and still save almost half the price...

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

28 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

that would be an odd choice I though a capture card running in full screen. 

it is more about the education experience then the price. 

than you definitely need to research and get all the parts yourself, and than find and install the OS and software that you want yourself

21 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

"This item ships to City, Canada"  https://www.amazon.com/Kano-2017-Computer-Learning-Kit/dp/B073VTCS66/ Same price as the site too.

Plus even if that wasn't the case Kano can ship the product to Mars if they really wanted too, while we can't buy from them directly Linus can get one shipped to him at the company's discretion.

Not from Kano's site. The link you provided is for Amazon.com, while I am in Canada, and for whatever reason the Prime Membership does not work from the .ca site to the .com site. Not to mention the Kano on the .ca site is last generation. I quite literally got to the shipping portion of my order on the Kano site, and it said "We do not ship to Canada." 

4 minutes ago, squuur said:

Not from Kano's site. The link you provided is for Amazon.com, while I am in Canada, and for whatever reason the Prime Membership does not work from the .ca site to the .com site. Not to mention the Kano on the .ca site is last generation. I quite literally got to the shipping portion of my order on the Kano site, and it said "We do not ship to Canada." 

I did amazon's shipping quote when i posted that, it was about $22USD i dont think Kano can do it any cheaper. Remember Amazon is including all import fees, if you could buy from Kano's site they likely won't. While you could save money (not paying tax because they didn't look at your package), depending on who they ship it with you could be dinged $50+ additional to shipping Minimum being $8 i think from Canada Post.

Prime for USA is for USA only like Prime for Canada is for Canadians. If you want Prime on the .com you'll need to rebuy it for it, however i doubt they'll give you free or discounted shipping, not to mention all benefits are region locked meaning more money for TunnelBear if you dont already have it :P

10 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

I did amazon's shipping quote when i posted that, it was about $22USD i dont think Kano can do it any cheaper. Remember Amazon is including all import fees, if you could buy from Kano's site they likely won't. While you could save money (not paying tax because they didn't look at your package), depending on who they ship it with you could be dinged $50+ additional to shipping Minimum being $8 i think from Canada Post.

Prime for USA is for USA only like Prime for Canada is for Canadians. If you want Prime on the .com you'll need to rebuy it for it, however i doubt they'll give you free or discounted shipping, not to mention all benefits are region locked meaning more money for TunnelBear if you dont already have it :P

Just to clarify: 

I cannot buy it from Kano direct.

The Amazon.ca site does not carry the one I want.

I have to buy it from a site, that does not support other regional memberships of the same type AND... from the same country as the maker of the Kano itself.

I was already aware of the difference between the .ca and .com Prime Membership differences. :P 

I find this entire situation really annoying.

Edited by squuur
Spelling