Predictions for 2018 in the Desktop market?

minervx
3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Many already do have wifi, but I would like to see VGA and PCI go away.

PCI GO AWAY?????? no thats for gpu's boi

7 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

What about those running an older motherboard or those who do not care about USB-C?
I'd just scrap the USB-C idea.

On phones it does wonders. On the desktop it isn't usefull. 
I'm wondering why they didn't just up the spec on the normal USB A connector & made it backwards compatible.
Since I ain't buying heaps of new USB flashdrives anytime soon ;) 

M8, I'm talking about new cases, for people building new systems. Also USB Type C is readily available.

Just now, PeteTeradactyl said:

lol not unless you're still using a voodoo card :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 hours ago, minervx said:
  • RAM prices will drop 10%
  • SSD prices will drop 30%
  • Mini ITX builds become very popular
  • Motherboards adopt USB-C and wifi instead of legacy ports
  • AMD releases a high clock-speed Ryzen line for gamers
  • AMD integrated graphics will help raise its market share
  • SFX power supplies will be more than just a near-invisible niche
  • Vega will still be mehhh 
  • Hard drives live on, but most cases won't have triple drive ways
  • And, please, the abolition of the CD disc

I wish for number 4 

20 hours ago, PeteTeradactyl said:

M8, I'm talking about new cases, for people building new systems. Also USB Type C is readily available.

And I'm talking about moving to a new case.
Some people bought a case to start and now just want a new one?

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

3 hours ago, Sfekke said:

And I'm talking about moving to a new case.
Some people bought a case to start and now just want a new one?

*facepalms* who in their right mind would upgrade the case and not the parts???

38 minutes ago, PeteTeradactyl said:

*facepalms* who in their right mind would upgrade the case and not the parts???

I had to do it when my front IO shorted.
Only 1 USB 2.0 port of my CM Silencio 652s remained working, just got the same case again.
Stupid user error, trying to plug a non working USB drive into 3 ports before realising it ruined them...
That one also had a broken reset button, might or might not have  broken a plastic part on that when trying to pry it lose when it somehow got stuck :P

But yea, in some cases buying a new case is needed.
My system is mostly fine for me atm, my next build will be in this same case.
So might as well keep it in there for now, and replace when needed ;)

Sidenote:

I know this doesn't apply to the majority of people.
What I do know is that besides the CoolerMaster Silencio 652s, very few cases meet my requirements.
Either not enough fan mounts, not enough HDD mounts, maximum graphics card length is too short, CPU cooler height limit is too low, no 5.25" bays, etc

New cases go form over function.
They have the bare minimum for me, and just enough for most people.
Before you had enough for me, hella plenty for most people.

Room for more never hurts, but having not enough room hurts the ones that need it.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

The optical drives seem to be one of those things you very rarely use anymore, but are extremely thankful to have one when the need arises once in a blue moon.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Prediction: AMDtel's APU will be rocking 8/16 cores/threads running @5.0Ghz with a single score of 212 with the Radeon graphics inside of it triumphing over a Volta GTX 2080 Ti for $440.

On 11/7/2017 at 6:54 AM, minervx said:
  • Motherboards adopt USB-C and WiFi instead of legacy ports.

Great, now half of my mind is screaming.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

On 07/11/2017 at 11:00 PM, BubblyCharizard said:

umm...back to what it was 2 years ago I hope

Even 12 months ago it was half the price it is now. I got my HyperX 16GB kit for just under $100 AUD, same kit now is closer to $200 AUD

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

On 11/8/2017 at 12:54 AM, minervx said:
  • RAM prices will drop 10%
  • SSD prices will drop 30%
  • Mini ITX builds become very popular
  • Motherboards adopt USB-C and wifi instead of legacy ports
  • AMD releases a high clock-speed Ryzen line for gamers
  • AMD integrated graphics will help raise its market share
  • SFX power supplies will be more than just a near-invisible niche
  • Vega will still be mehhh 
  • Hard drives live on, but most cases won't have triple drive ways
  • And, please, the abolition of the CD disc

I like a lot of these. In my opinion:

- AMD GPU's will return to stock and normal value as ETH & LTC difficulty has increased to where ASIC's are more economic. 

- SSD prices wont so much drop, but they will shift in price bracket (256GB for price of 128GB, 512GB price of 256GB, etc....) - maybe a 15-20% drop in the higher end. 

- RGB will become less popular, and the popularity of steel cases will increase

- CoffeeLake i3's will dominate Ryzen3 sales when the B360/H370 boards come in due to onboard Intel HD graphics.

- More "console killer" mini-pc's from vendors at more reasonable prices. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Nvidia hate will continue. Volta will be released. Everyone will buy it. Nvidia will thus kick AMDs ass, AMD will release something halfhearted a year later that uses more power, and so shall the cycle continue. 

(I seriously hope not but this is the current situation). 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

On 11/7/2017 at 2:00 PM, BubblyCharizard said:

umm...back to what it was 2 years ago I hope

Have RAM prices actually gone up over the past couple years? Isn't it usually the opposite with hardware?

On 7.11.2017 at 10:37 PM, PeteTeradactyl said:

i assume he was talking about ye olde 32bit PCI slot that has been with us since the 90's 

these guys here:

1200px-PCI_Slots_Digon3.JPG

but ever since AGP was invented in the late 90's it was less and less common to use this slot for graphics cards.

... and unless you are rocking a retro machine or a really special setup, you probably won't need (or want) a graphics card for this slot.

PCI express is where it's at but i'd like to keep a PCI slot or two in my computer either way ... just ... not for a graphics card.   

in fact, i put a PCI graphics card in my own PC just to see what happens, and it didn't even work. i got it to post eventually but it crashed as soon as i started to play portal 2. (i know that this card can run portal because it runs just fine with it on the system i usually have this card in)

It's very telling that half of the pins and ports on my motherboard went completely un-used. 

Motherboards are just so horribly inefficient.

Here is what I want an IO to look like by 2019:

• 1x Ethernet
  • 1x HDMI
  • 1x 3.5mm jack
  • 4x USB-C Ports
  • 4x USB-3 Ports

That's really it.  And use the saved space to add Bluetooth 5 and audio that doesn't sound like 144p quality

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

On 07/11/2017 at 2:05 PM, TheBeastPC said:

The ryzen 7-2700 will have 2.2GHz base clock and a 3.8GHz boost clock. The ryzen 5-2500U will have a 2.0GHz base clock and a 3.6GHz boost clock. I dont see this as a "high clockspeed" launch. And since there is going to be a dGPU within the same die of intel mobile processors, this will also raise AMDs market share.

OP was referring to high clocked desktop CPUs... Of course the mobile version of Ryzen will have lower clocks for thermal reasons... As do Intel chips. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304