Corsair Rm1000i coil whine, replace it or RMA?

applesuxD

Is it a normal thing for the rm1000i to coil whine with a very high pitch?

I've thought of replacing it with a 550-650w  power supply since i don't plan to add another gpu anymore.

If RMAing won't fix it,

any power supply of 550-650w that turns off the fan on idle or is completely fanless?

I run r9 390 and i7 5820k

Will probably add a used 1070/1080 for 3440 x 1440 games when the time's right

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

13 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

Do it happen at all loads? And are you sure Its the psu and not the gpu?

ive had Corsair send new PSUs because of unbearable coil wine before, so if you are certain it’s the PSU go for an rma 

It's the PSU. But i've beared with the noise for about 1 year +, it's still eligible for RMA right? i even had a previous post on this but didn't get the chance to rma and now i have time :>

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

Unless it's stupidly loud you generally can't RMA just for coil whine.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

Unless it's stupidly loud you generally can't RMA just for coil whine.

Ok i'm selling it lol!

Any PSU with no coil whine? or like it doesn't have coil whine at least when on idle. Cos thats what the rm1000i does, and it's irritating

Just now, applesuxD said:

Ok i'm selling it lol!

Any PSU with no coil whine? or like it doesn't have coil whine at least when on idle. Cos thats what the rm1000i does, and it's irritating

Coil whine can happen with any PSU, no way to know if it will until you've bought it and got it running.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

Coil whine can happen with any PSU, no way to know if it will until you've bought it and got it running.

:((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

19 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

Do it happen at all loads? And are you sure Its the psu and not the gpu?

ive had Corsair send new PSUs because of unbearable coil wine before, so if you are certain it’s the PSU go for an rma 

Should I still try my luck and RMA?

1 minute ago, NoobCase said:

Doesn’t hurt. Don’t they come with 3 years warranty or more?

10 years. States 7 in the box, but when i look at all the shops' details here in singapore it states 10 years LOL

1 hour ago, applesuxD said:

any power supply of 550-650w that turns off the fan on idle or is completely fanless?

I have the EVGA 550w G2, and its fanless until 45C

26 minutes ago, applesuxD said:

10 years. States 7 in the box, but when i look at all the shops' details here in singapore it states 10 years LOL

i can second the g2 series as being reliable, i do have a r9 390x and 650w version of it, works great, though really i think it is stated by @RKRiley that any really any PSU can have coil whine

5 hours ago, applesuxD said:

Ok i'm selling it lol!

All PSUs can have coil whine. Almost all do to some degree of you listen closely at various different loads. Mine has it while the system is completely off.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

On 11/7/2017 at 2:06 AM, applesuxD said:

Is it a normal thing for the rm1000i to coil whine with a very high pitch?

I've thought of replacing it with a 550-650w  power supply since i don't plan to add another gpu anymore.

If RMAing won't fix it,

I run r9 390 and i7 5820k

Will probably add a used 1070/1080 for 3440 x 1440 games when the time's right

As long as the unit was purchased new and not a refurbished unit, it should come with a 10yr warranty.  Like some of the others mentioned, coil whine can happen to any PSU.  If you already tried connecting a different GPU and heard the same noise, next step is to submit a ticket through the Corsair support site, and we can have the unit replaced.  Let me know if you run into any issues.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/