Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Somewhat disappointed: should I replace parts in my build or should I leave it alone?

minervx
 Share

I'm not sure whether these complaints are something which I can meaningfully improve upon or if it's just my OCD.

 

My build is way too big for what it is.  I'm not trying to move it around or anything, and it's not taking up a bunch of desk space, but it feels like a dinosaur and not the most efficient thing that could come from my intelligence and creativity.

 

My FD Define Mini C is way too big for the R5-1600/1060 build.  I don't consume THAT much power and I only have 1 hard drive.  I'm thinking of buying a Mini ITX mobo and case, and moving the Ryzen CPU into that.  Also, that means I might have to swap my Mugen 5 cooler for a smaller one.  Is this all worth the hassle?

'

My power supply is not loud but it's louder than all of my other parts.  Can I replace the fan on my Rosewill Capstone 550w?  Or should I just buy a dead-silent PSU and sell the Capstone?

 

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have to relate with this to some extent.  I built a machine 2 years ago and hated everything about it.  I built a new machine that was supposed to be my dream machine, and I still dislike it though to a lesser extent.  There is something to be said about finding peace with the thing you have created.  It will never be perfect.

Cans                                          Amps                                                               Speakers                                      Mic

Sennheiser 6xx                          Topping DX7 (dac/amp) (class D balanced)     Micca RB42                                  Antlion ModMic Uni

Beyerdynamic DT880-600         Emotiva A-100 (class A)                                                                                         Vmoda Boom Pro

Phillips Fidelio X3                      Nobsound Little Bear P7 (pure tube)                 Accessories                                Neego boom mic

Harmonicdyne Zeus                   Little dot MKII (pure tube)                                  Dekoni, Brainwavz and ZMF pads

Fostex T50RP                            Darkvoice 336SE (pure tube)                            Hart and Periapt cables

HiFi-man HE400i (2017)            Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)                Yoga Blocks (headphone stands)

Blue Microphones Lola               Xduoo MT-602 (class A hybrid tube)

Koss KPH30iCL                          Schiit Fulla (class D dac/amp)                          Headset

AKG K-361-BT                                                                                                      Turtle Beach Stealth 700 v2 + adapter

Phillips shp9500

AKG K240 studio

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What Capstone do you have? You could get a G2 550W. 

 

Honestly, I'd keep it as is unless you're doing something that requires silence. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, minervx said:

I'm not sure whether these complaints are something which I can meaningfully improve upon or if it's just my OCD.

 

My build is way too big for what it is.  I'm not trying to move it around or anything, and it's not taking up a bunch of desk space, but it feels like a dinosaur and not the most efficient thing that could come from my intelligence and creativity.

 

My FD Define Mini C is way too big for the R5-1600/1060 build.  I don't consume THAT much power and I only have 1 hard drive.  I'm thinking of buying a Mini ITX mobo and case, and moving the Ryzen CPU into that.  Also, that means I might have to swap my Mugen 5 cooler for a smaller one.  Is this all worth the hassle?

'

My power supply is not loud but it's louder than all of my other parts.  Can I replace the fan on my Rosewill Capstone 550w?  Or should I just buy a dead-silent PSU and sell the Capstone?

 

i don't think rosewill is a great brand.... define mini C isn't very big to start off. and going full on SFF has allot of drawbacks. from cooling to size compatibility to COST. it's a real challenge. and you will end up sacrificing something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Psittac said:

I would have to relate with this to some extent.  I built a machine 2 years ago and hated everything about it.  I built a new machine that was supposed to be my dream machine, and I still dislike it though to a lesser extent.  There is something to be said about finding peace with the thing you have created.  It will never be perfect.

that's really why you have to really have done all the research on what you plan on buying. if you already knew all the drawbacks of what you were aiming for and had weighed them against the other options you wouldn't end up getting unfortunate surprises down the line that ruin it for you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

that's really why you have to really have done all the research on what you plan on buying. if you already knew all the drawbacks of what you were aiming for and had weighed them against the other options you wouldn't end up getting unfortunate surprises down the line that ruin it for you

Nope, buyers remorse is real.  I'm fine with my system now but the urge to burn it to the ground and start over is real.

Cans                                          Amps                                                               Speakers                                      Mic

Sennheiser 6xx                          Topping DX7 (dac/amp) (class D balanced)     Micca RB42                                  Antlion ModMic Uni

Beyerdynamic DT880-600         Emotiva A-100 (class A)                                                                                         Vmoda Boom Pro

Phillips Fidelio X3                      Nobsound Little Bear P7 (pure tube)                 Accessories                                Neego boom mic

Harmonicdyne Zeus                   Little dot MKII (pure tube)                                  Dekoni, Brainwavz and ZMF pads

Fostex T50RP                            Darkvoice 336SE (pure tube)                            Hart and Periapt cables

HiFi-man HE400i (2017)            Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)                Yoga Blocks (headphone stands)

Blue Microphones Lola               Xduoo MT-602 (class A hybrid tube)

Koss KPH30iCL                          Schiit Fulla (class D dac/amp)                          Headset

AKG K-361-BT                                                                                                      Turtle Beach Stealth 700 v2 + adapter

Phillips shp9500

AKG K240 studio

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Psittac said:

Nope, buyers remorse is real.  I'm fine with my system now but the urge to burn it to the ground and start over is real.

yes buyers remorse is real... that's not what i said. i explained why you got it in the first place

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

define mini C isn't very big to start off. 

mini c is huge. compared to a full-sized atx tower, it's probably 30% smaller.  

 

but considering advances in technology in the past few years, this is really pitiful.  it's like 30 times the size of a tablet, but it definitely doesn't have 30x the functionality.

 

there's just so much inefficiency.  motherboards have lots of inessential features.  power supplies dont need to be atx for 300-400w consumption.  cases are not efficiently designed.  cables are needlessly long.  drive bays are pointless unless you have 10tb of porn

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, minervx said:

mini c is huge. compared to a full-sized atx tower, it's probably 30% smaller.  

 

but considering advances in technology in the past few years, this is really pitiful.  it's like 30 times the size of a tablet, but it definitely doesn't have 30x the functionality.

 

there's just so much inefficiency.  motherboards have lots of inessential features.  power supplies dont need to be atx for 300-400w consumption.  cases are not efficiently designed.  cables are needlessly long.  drive bays are pointless unless you have 10tb of porn

WHAAAAAT O_O you DON'T HAVE 10TB OF PORN?!?!?!?

 

no but jokes aside yeah sure from that standpoint one of them slim laptop sized towers is what you want. it exists you just have to buy it. or a briks or what ever. and there are SFF varients of everything from powersupply to motherboards GPUs you name it. other people also want smaller computers. some things you physically can'T shrink though. radiator cooling performance is directly linked to it's size. and most cases want lots of sales and the only way of getting that is by having the biggest compatibility same for powersupply so longer cables and bigger space to fit the biggest components comfortably. it's just a different aim. you can totally find things that suit your personal need

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

I want something like this.

 

Screenshot_20170905-012850.thumb.png.5656638d4c4539b78356eb61a836000a.png

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 06/11/2017 at 11:57 AM, minervx said:

 

 

I want something like this.

 

Screenshot_20170905-012850.thumb.png.5656638d4c4539b78356eb61a836000a.png

Then go for the Node Series

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

 

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

 

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×