Can't download Windows 10 error: 0x80072F26 - 0x20017

Go to solution Solved by Strayan_Hades,
On 12/3/2017 at 5:42 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

There are easier way than what suggested here. You just need to change how download site sees your browser. One way to do it, is to download User Agent switcher for Firefox and use some non-supported OS as what browser shows to be run with. Thats how I got .ISO on Win7. I selected Safari on macOS.

Thanks for the reply. Microsoft have recently patched it late November and its working great now.

From a quick Google search, the error seems to be resulting from some issue with Windows Update. Are you trying to download an iso for later use? You could try accessing https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10ISO/ instead, downloading the iso via your web browser, and then either upgrading/burning/using it that way instead of via Media Creation Tool.

Note: This site only works if you access it via Linux or OSX; otherwise Microsoft diverts you to the Media Creation Tool page. 

If you know what edition, language etc. version you need, I could probably get you a direct link to the iso and save you trying to fix your issue with MCT.

If you are planning on using this to *upgrade* your machine though, you might run into the same problem during upgrade if it's Windows Update related. Have you tried any of the fixes posted here? I gave them a cursory glance and they all seem to be reasonable things to try for this.

9 minutes ago, Tabs said:

From a quick Google search, the error seems to be resulting from some issue with Windows Update. Are you trying to download an iso for later use? You could try accessing https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10ISO/ instead, downloading the iso via your web browser, and then either upgrading/burning/using it that way instead of via Media Creation Tool.

Note: This site only works if you access it via Linux or OSX; otherwise Microsoft diverts you to the Media Creation Tool page. 

If you know what edition, language etc. version you need, I could probably get you a direct link to the iso and save you trying to fix your issue with MCT.

If you are planning on using this to *upgrade* your machine though, you might run into the same problem during upgrade if it's Windows Update related. Have you tried any of the fixes posted here? I gave them a cursory glance and they all seem to be reasonable things to try for this.

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look at those solutions. I'm looking at installing Windows 10 on a USB and perform a full clean install of windows.

8 minutes ago, Strayan_Bass said:

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look at those solutions. I'm looking at installing Windows 10 on a USB and perform a full clean install of windows.

In that case, I would absolutely 100% recommend getting it as a raw iso via the -ISO link I posted above. The iso you get through the Media Creation Tool has an encrypted install.esd instead of a standard (update-friendly) install.wim, and it errors out if you try to use DISM or other management tools on it.

Although I haven't had to integrate drivers using DISM in a while (I no longer need the intel network drivers for my z170 motherboard since 1607 now has generic ones that work), it's still something I try to keep track of in case I ever upgrade in future and need to modify the image.

Easiest way to get it is to boot a Linux VM and download it there, assuming you don't have a Linux/mac machine handy that you can use instead.

Edit: Also, I highly recommend using Rufus to generate your bootable USB, it's been my go-to utility ever since I started having mixed MBR(bios) and EFI systems at home that need different types of bootable media.

51 minutes ago, Strayan_Bass said:

Hi,

Just been trying to download windows 10 with the media creation tool and keep running into the following error " There was a problem running this tool " with error code of 0x80072F76 - 0x20017.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Anyone else experiencing this issue or know a fix?

Cheers.

Run "sfc /scannow" in an admin shell, (the command prompt or cmd). This is a system file Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files. Helped fix my win10 update issues.

HI Strayan Bass

if you do a clean install make sure you do not forget to save all your important files. What version is your Windows0 10 at the moment?

you can start in run cmd and type: Winver

Press Enter

A new Window opens and you can see the version number.

As Blue Fin mentioned in his post above run sfc /scannow" in admin Cmd Prompt. 

disable all Anti Virus and Firewall Programs you have installed. Otherwise  they might add to the problem downloading Windows 10.

I hope this helps.

Kathrin

• 4 weeks later...

There are easier way than what suggested here. You just need to change how download site sees your browser. One way to do it, is to download User Agent switcher for Firefox and use some non-supported OS as what browser shows to be run with. Thats how I got .ISO on Win7. I selected Safari on macOS.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 12/3/2017 at 5:42 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Thanks for the reply. Microsoft have recently patched it late November and its working great now.

On ‎6‎-‎11‎-‎2017 at 1:43 AM, Strayan_Bass said:

Hi,

Just been trying to download windows 10 with the media creation tool and keep running into the following error " There was a problem running this tool " with error code of 0x80072F76 - 0x20017.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Anyone else experiencing this issue or know a fix?

Cheers.

Maybe you can try to download a ISO to a usb, then use the motherboard startup option.

6 hours ago, Etrecz said:

Maybe you can try to download a ISO to a usb, then use the motherboard startup option.

If you actually read the whole thread and not just OP, you would see that one can't just download .ISO on OS which supports using media creation tool.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv