Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help on my 1st PC Build

I am making a new PC for and my budget is $1100 excluding the monitor. The total price is $1344. I don't know much about building a pc for gaming and I was looking for some advice or help. I have a link to the full and complete build on PC part picker. If you have any advice, I'd like to know. Also, I do not know what power supply to use. Right now I have an EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified power supply selected.

 

The CPU is an Intel i5 6600

The GPU is an Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB

The motherboard is an MSI - B250 PC MATE ATX LGA1151

 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/muzzybear/saved/6zkjcf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

try getting an i5 8600 + b360 when the motherboard is out or maybe an i3 8300

What do you mean "when the motherboard is out."? Has it not been released yet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go for at least 7th gen i5 if the 8th gen is too hard to get right now. A little performance improvement for about the same price.

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Computers_And_Tech_Is_Cool said:

I'd go for at least 7th gen i5 if the 8th gen is too hard to get right now. A little performance improvement for about the same price.

Like i said, I dont know much about PCs. Would a 7th gen mean like an i7? or an i5 7700?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, personally I'd spring an extra $20 for a 240gb ssd, It's really nice if you have enough space for games on it

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I mean an i5 7700

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Computers_And_Tech_Is_Cool said:

Sorry, I mean an i5 7700

Alright thanks. What power supply should I get?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like you have 250 watts of headroom with what you have right now, that's good. If you don't mind some extra cables to hide, a semi-modular PSU would save some money to invest in a slightly better graphics card or something else.

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Although If you want 80+ gold efficiency, the one you chose looks like a good deal.

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Computers_And_Tech_Is_Cool said:

Although If you want 80+ gold efficiency, the one you chose looks like a good deal.

What is a Semi Modular PSU? And I dont know the difference between gold and bronze, my friend chose it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the budget is really strict, drop the HDD, and add one later. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($193.67 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($122.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: SK hynix - SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: *Western Digital - RE4 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($41.89 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($409.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake - Smart Pro RGB 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: *Acer - Predator XB241YU 23.8" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor  ($399.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1412.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-05 16:16 EST-0500

:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, muzzybear said:

What is a Semi Modular PSU? And I dont know the difference between gold and bronze, my friend chose it.

Semi modular means some of the cables are permanently attached. The difference between Bronze and Gold is the efficiency; not that it makes any difference whatsoever for someone that isn't mining for cryptocurrency

:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, seon123 said:

Semi modular means some of the cables are permanently attached. The difference between Bronze and Gold is the efficiency; not that it makes any difference whatsoever for someone that isn't mining for cryptocurrency

okay thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

If the budget is really strict, drop the HDD, and add one later. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($193.67 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($122.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: SK hynix - SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: *Western Digital - RE4 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($41.89 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($409.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake - Smart Pro RGB 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: *Acer - Predator XB241YU 23.8" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor  ($399.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1412.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-05 16:16 EST-0500

 

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

If the budget is really strict, drop the HDD, and add one later. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($193.67 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($122.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: SK hynix - SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: *Western Digital - RE4 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($41.89 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($409.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake - Smart Pro RGB 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: *Acer - Predator XB241YU 23.8" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor  ($399.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1412.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-05 16:16 EST-0500

Thanks. I will take this into consideration. Is the cpu cooler that comes with this build good. And I was trying to go for a black and green theme. but mostly black

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, muzzybear said:

 

Thanks. I will take this into consideration. Is the cpu cooler that comes with this build good. And I was trying to go for a black and green theme. but mostly black

The cooler that comes with Ryzen is very decent. You should be able to overclock it to ~3.8 GHz with it. 

:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×