$650 QUAD SOCKET Gaming Workstation!

14 minutes ago, benjyjm said:

Do you not pay taxes every month...

Generally taxes are done yearly, here in Australia.

Is this actually something viable for a hobbyist that would want a slave PC just for rendering out their animations?

image.png.c5f84a76c6e0ce1aa413352cd462ae4f.png

image.png.7bd77e5ec545ff00250a0390dfc48e2f.png

Bought an old dual Xeon workstation and replaced both CPUs for two Xeon E5-2670(from 2012). Games are much smoother, great performance for the price.

• 3 years later...

I kinda find it funny that they say theres literally no case for it but after about 3 google searches I found one which fits the mobo: the Supermicro CSE-828. Also, the PSUs in the case come with 3x 8pin cpu power connectors, which is whats needed. Finally, Linus could have just used 3 of those 8 pins on a single modular PSU, as most PSU manufacturers use the same location to plug in the cpu and pcie devices, meaning this wouldn't be a problem (if that makes sense).

How do I know? Here is my own Supermicro H8QG6-F inside of my own Supermicro CSE-828 (sorry for low picture quality lol):

sorbor.png

i like trains 🙂

Unfortunately I don't think the PCIE and EPS(8 pin) are the same from my experience..  I found my Lenovo C30 had three 8 pin power connectors and the PCIE 8 pin cables from my spare standard modular psu did not fit as I had hoped (wanted to rule out the stock psu as being the issue) . 

Also see: https://superuser.com/questions/849265/is-there-a-difference-between-8-pin-eps12v-and-pci-e-connectors

Guess it depends if those 8 pin are standard eps 8 pins..