I am having weird issues with my new setup, made up of the following:

* Gigabyte AB350 Gaming

* Ryzen 5 1600

* 700W PSU

* GeForce 460 (old)

* 8G DDR4 UDIMM

* 500GB SSD (old)

* 500GB HDD (old)

The issues started right after the first successfull startup. I realized I had forgotten to add the speakers, which turned out to indefinitely beep after starting. This issue was successfully resolved by updating the BIOS to the most recent version; Then the real issues began though. I realised that most of the times I try to start up the computer, it would not do so. Either it would not even pass POST (no beep whatsoever), sometimes it would beep once, then show a black screen. Then again sometimes it would beep, show the POST screen and then crash during boot. Sometimes it would not power the keyboard or the mouse, sometimes if those work it wouldn't let me access the BIOS (freezing effectively). From my current point of view there is no correlation other than the hardware, and I cannot make out a reason except faulty hardware. The funny thing however is, that sometimes it will start up and boot the system, which I then can use indefinitely (i.e. for 5 hours straight now, only built the rig today). What I did for troubleshooting is:

* Power on with just MB, CPU and RAM, same issues

* Look for settings in BIOS possibly corrupting

* Update BIOS

* Reset CMOS by shorting the jumpers

* Reset the components (RAM, GPU)

Since I sometimes can successfully boot the rig, I don't think it is incompatibility between RAM/ CPU, the RAM is listed as compatible in a list published by gigabyte. The graphics card worked in my old computer, which had issues with randomly turning off and (unrelated because occurred with another graphics card and components) bluescreens, so it MAY be the graphics card, which I doubt though. I cannot test this right now though, since the ryzen does not offer an igpu. I currently ordered a replacement for the Mainboard, because I suspect it to be faulty, but I am still trying to resolve this issue or at least identify the faulty part.

Has anyone encountered this issue, or does anyone have any tips for me? I am getting pretty disappointed RN.

Thanks in advance.

8 minutes ago, wdfourty said:

Hello guys,

I am having weird issues with my new setup, made up of the following:

* Gigabyte AB350 Gaming

* Ryzen 5 1600

* 700W PSU

* GeForce 460 (old)

* 8G DDR4 UDIMM

* 500GB SSD (old)

* 500GB HDD (old)

The issues started right after the first successfull startup. I realized I had forgotten to add the speakers, which turned out to indefinitely beep after starting. This issue was successfully resolved by updating the BIOS to the most recent version; Then the real issues began though. I realised that most of the times I try to start up the computer, it would not do so. Either it would not even pass POST (no beep whatsoever), sometimes it would beep once, then show a black screen. Then again sometimes it would beep, show the POST screen and then crash during boot. Sometimes it would not power the keyboard or the mouse, sometimes if those work it wouldn't let me access the BIOS (freezing effectively). From my current point of view there is no correlation other than the hardware, and I cannot make out a reason except faulty hardware. The funny thing however is, that sometimes it will start up and boot the system, which I then can use indefinitely (i.e. for 5 hours straight now, only built the rig today). What I did for troubleshooting is:

* Power on with just MB, CPU and RAM, same issues

* Look for settings in BIOS possibly corrupting

* Update BIOS

* Reset CMOS by shorting the jumpers

* Reset the components (RAM, GPU)

Since I sometimes can successfully boot the rig, I don't think it is incompatibility between RAM/ CPU, the RAM is listed as compatible in a list published by gigabyte. The graphics card worked in my old computer, which had issues with randomly turning off and (unrelated because occurred with another graphics card and components) bluescreens, so it MAY be the graphics card, which I doubt though. I cannot test this right now though, since the ryzen does not offer an igpu. I currently ordered a replacement for the Mainboard, because I suspect it to be faulty, but I am still trying to resolve this issue or at least identify the faulty part.

Has anyone encountered this issue, or does anyone have any tips for me? I am getting pretty disappointed RN.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried booting the system with a different gpu? Just a random thought but it's possible the gpu has failed.

1 hour ago, MineParker101 said:

Have you tried booting the system with a different gpu? Just a random thought but it's possible the gpu has failed.

I will try this later. I didn't have one but I found someone who can lend me his for a short time. Generally I'm really confused, because it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Maybe the graphics card is what made my last rig shutdown randomly, but shutting down and not starting up are two different errorschemes, so I dunno.

Will update this reply when I tried.

Update: Will not get the card today, so I have to put this step on hold

Edited by wdfourty
Update

@wdfourty You've definitely done the usual troubleshooting steps I would do and recommend. One thing I know is that Ryzen is an absolute pain in the ass with memory compatibility. Which doesn't make sense if the ram is listed as compatible and you're on the most recent bios release. Try the ram in different slots. I'm not sure how your board labels the slots, but I'll link a picture to show the 'proper' slots to use. Maybe that'll make a difference. It may be worth trying another kit of ram or another PSU (maybe from a friend or something).

a2b2.png.3303600174772a849d2e746ec5556238.png

I'd also consider spraying some WD-40 on the entire board, but you've probably tried that already.:dry:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

32 minutes ago, johndms said:

@wdfourty You've definitely done the usual troubleshooting steps I would do and recommend. One thing I know is that Ryzen is an absolute pain in the ass with memory compatibility. Which doesn't make sense if the ram is listed as compatible and you're on the most recent bios release. Try the ram in different slots. I'm not sure how your board labels the slots, but I'll link a picture to show the 'proper' slots to use. Maybe that'll make a difference. It may be worth trying another kit of ram or another PSU (maybe from a friend or something).

a2b2.png.3303600174772a849d2e746ec5556238.png

I'd also consider spraying some WD-40 on the entire board, but you've probably tried that already.:dry:

He, yeah I tried that of course :D

I read this already, and I also checked on the compatibility list of gigabyte. My DIMM will not work on #4, but I will put it into the others the next time it doesn't work. As it is often with these kind of errors I tried turning off and on a couple of times right now, but it worked 4 out of 5 times, the fifth time linux crashed, which I think is another issue with concurrently installed drivers. I will update tomorrow when I am back from university and encounter these issues again.

Is your OS a fresh install and have you tested the RAM, as this sounds like faulty RAM or a faulty Mobo? Also, disconnect everything that isn't essential and double check all connections on the Mobo, including for fans and drives, and make sure everything is securely and properly seated.