ASUS MG248Q v.s. ASUS VG248QE

Go to solution Solved by Aytex,

In the end though, many professionals use shit tier panels, and are still one of the best players. So if you're getting into competitive gaming and really set on the MG248Q, go for it. There is a damn good deal on it right now.

Hi,

I'm wondering whether I should get the ASUS MG24Q or the ASUS VG248QE, as I am in the market for budget 144hz monitors.

I have a lead on the VG248QE for around $150, and the MG24QE for around $200. Which is better in terms of color, contrast, and 3D?

Thanks,

-Alec

8 minutes ago, Alec M said:

Hi,

I'm wondering whether I should get the ASUS MG24Q or the ASUS VG248QE, as I am in the market for budget 144hz monitors.

I have a lead on the VG248QE for around $150, and the MG24QE for around $200. Which is better in terms of color, contrast, and 3D?

Thanks,

-Alec

Personally I have the VG248QE and its a great monitor for gaming. with some tuning you can get the colors to be decent but the biggest thing is that if you can get it for $150? go for it thats a great deal

1 minute ago, Synawke said:

Personally I have the VG248QE and its a great monitor for gaming. with some tuning you can get the colors to be decent but the biggest thing is that if you can get it for $150? go for it thats a great deal

I have a quick question, do you have to use Display Port to do 144Hz?

IMO I had the VG248QE for 4 days and couldn't keep it.. the colors were way off and the light hurt my eyes (headaches). If either one is an option, I'd look at the MG24Q as it has flicker free technology.. which will help with eye strain. 

4 minutes ago, Alec M said:

yes        I've been corrected below.

2 minutes ago, Alec M said:

You dont have to. I would recommend It though because it locks in and its a thinner cable than the alternative DVI. You cant use HDMI on the VG248QE though. It doesnt support HDMI 2.0 so you would only get 60hz with HDMI

4 minutes ago, Alec M said:

No, you can also use DVI. I have to since my displayport on mine died (troubleshooted it six different ways to make sure)

Technically speaking G-Sync only works on DisplayPort, but since this monitor doesnt support that you dont need to worry about it

Capture.PNG

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, presence06 said:

IMO I had the VG248QE for 4 days and couldn't keep it.. the colors were way off and the light hurt my eyes (headaches). If either one is an option, I'd look at the MG24Q as it has flicker free technology.. which will help with eye strain. 

did you mess with the color settings at all?

Just now, Synawke said:

did you mess with the color settings at all?

I did, the colors still were trash to me, the headaches were the bigger issue. 

I personally have the MG24UQ which is very similar to the MG248Q. It has good color and it is a monitor for gaming. Especially if you can get it for 200.

10 minutes ago, Synawke said:

You dont have to. I would recommend It though because it locks in and its a thinner cable than the alternative DVI. You cant use HDMI on the VG248QE though. It doesnt support HDMI 2.0 so you would only get 60hz with HDMI

@presence06, @goatfeed123, @TVwazhere

So it looks like there's literally no reason to go with the $50 more MG248Q except that it's new, and I could get all the same features with the VG24QE that's used.

9 minutes ago, Alec M said:

@presence06, @goatfeed123, @TVwazhere

So it looks like there's literally no reason to go with the $50 more MG248Q except that it's new, and I could get all the same features with the VG24QE that's used.

Not in my opinion. I have over 5000 hours of screen time playing games on a VG248QE and It has worked great for me

3 minutes ago, Synawke said:

Not in my opinion. I have over 5000 hours of screen time playing games on a VG248QE and It has worked great for me

Apparently you didn't read my post well enough, I was saying there was no reason to get the MG248Q except the fact that it was new from newegg, and the VG24QE was a used item.

Basically saying that I'm going to go with the VG248QE.

6 minutes ago, Alec M said:

Apparently you didn't read my post well enough, I was saying there was no reason to get the MG248Q except the fact that it was new from newegg, and the VG24QE was a used item.

VG248QE is old, and the newer variant is the MG248Q, both panels suffer from resolution degradation, and the VG still has LED PWM dimming which is a cause of headaces.

Colors on both panels are pretty meh.

If you're really set on only these two I highly recommend grabbing the MG248Q 

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

VG248QE is old, and the newer variant is the MG248Q, both panels suffer from resolution degradation, and the VG still has LED PWM dimming which is a cause of headaces.

Colors on both panels are pretty meh.

I mean, I'm currently using a Westinghouse 1080p 60Hz Tv over VGA, so...

Also, what do you mean by resolution degradation?

7 minutes ago, Alec M said:

I know thats what you meant. i was saying there wasnt a reason to get the MG248Q in my opinion 

1 minute ago, Alec M said:

I mean, I'm currently using a Westinghouse 1080p 60Hz Tv over VGA, so...

Also, what do you mean by resolution degradation?

On 144hz mode the resolution is degraded, its less sharp. the XG2401, lg 24gm77, and samsung CF panels iirc do not. the XG in particular is one of the best budget 144hz panels on the market right now, and the newer refreshed XG2402 is coming out soon.

In the end though, many professionals use shit tier panels, and are still one of the best players. So if you're getting into competitive gaming and really set on the MG248Q, go for it. There is a damn good deal on it right now.