Have i wasted money on this pre binned 8700k

Kendo

Hi! so I'm not a very patient person, and I have been waiting for my 8700k for a few weeks and the supplier I brought it from has kept pushing back the pre order date (I Know its probably not their fault) But when they pushed it to the 30th I snapped and made a bit of an impulse buy

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/intel-core-i7-8700k-5.0ghz-coffee-lake-socket-lga1151-pre-binned-processor-oem-cp-00l-oe.html

So I'm paying about £110 more than the standard price, but they had it in stock so I went with it! I have after doing some googleing a very limited understanding of pre binned CPU's. generally are they worth it? I know that any 8700k can reach 5ghz + but I suppose I'm paying for the knowledge it will at least be able to achieve this. 

So yeah is it just wasted money or not really.   

1 minute ago, Kendo said:

Hi! so I'm not a very patient person, and I have been waiting for my 8700k for a few weeks and the supplier I brought it from has kept pushing back the pre order date (I Know its probably not their fault) But when they pushed it to the 30th I snapped and made a bit of an impulse buy

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/intel-core-i7-8700k-5.0ghz-coffee-lake-socket-lga1151-pre-binned-processor-oem-cp-00l-oe.html

So I'm paying about £110 more than the standard price, but they had it in stock so I went with it! I have after doing some googleing a very limited understanding of pre binned CPU's. generally are they worth it? I know that any 8700k can reach 5hz + but I suppose I'm paying for the knowledge it will at least be able to achieve this. 

entirely wasted, they all hit 4.8 ez so 200 mhz guarenteed isnt a big difference

Whether something is "worth it" is relative. I'd say the £110 is an early adopter tax.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Seems like a waste to me. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

110 pounds is not worth for any "binned" label at all, it is idiotic to say the least, normal processors already have a huge chance to reach 5ghz and even if you only have it at say 4,8ghz all cores stable that's more than enough for the highest gaming end today with a 1080 Ti

However as pointed out for a "early adopter tax" that's somewhat justified, the i7 8700k was supposed to only reach the market in February, Intel rushed things with absolutely no stock at hand (while also needing to get rid of the old i7 7700k stocks) because of AMD Ryzen... so you're indeed one of the very few to have the i7 8700k under the hood and the cost of it was this 110 pounds.

Moral of the story binned chips are just a money grab however don't think you overpaid for it, think you overpaid just for the exclusivity of owning the coffee lake i7 before most others.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Nope, ~1-5% performance increase but you paid ~28% instead. 

Magical Pineapples

To be honest I thought as much, I'm happy to accept the £110 as an early adopters fee. I think I would explode if I had to stare at my new PC parts for another month or more! I'm going from a 2010 budget 2500k pc build with a upgrade to a R9 390 a few years back to a new 1080ti and 8700k. I just wanted to know peoples thoughts and try and justify to myself.

I have put my 1080ti in my old rig for the moment but I think my 2500k is bottlenecking it to be honest.

13 minutes ago, Kendo said:

To be honest I thought as much, I'm happy to accept the £110 as an early adopters fee. I think I would explode if I had to stare at my new PC parts for another month or more! I'm going from a 2010 budget 2500k pc build with a upgrade to a R9 390 a few years back to a new 1080ti and 8700k. I just wanted to know peoples thoughts and try and justify to myself.

I have put my 1080ti in my old rig for the moment but I think my 2500k is bottlenecking it to be honest.

Honestly, if the 2500k is overclocked, it shouldnt bottleneck your GPU  0,o Compared to what im gaming on, thats a solid "old" rig lol. That being said, i agree with @Princess Cadence, it kinda depends on how you look at it. Would i have spent that extra money with your other PC being what it was? nope. But to each their own and you'll definately be happy with the new 8700k which will probably erase any type of regret xD Congrats!

Early adopter tax perhaps, but the thing that I find more valuable than the 'pre-bin' tag is located lower in the page. The fact that this is a de-lidded CPU with the TIM replaced. So it will probably be easier to keep cool while you have those overclocks. (Worth 20% extra? I don't know, that is up to you.)

2 hours ago, Kendo said:

So I'm paying about £110 more than the standard price, but they had it in stock so I went with it! I have after doing some googleing a very limited understanding of pre binned CPU's. generally are they worth it? I know that any 8700k can reach 5ghz + but I suppose I'm paying for the knowledge it will at least be able to achieve this. 

I think you did pretty well for yourself and I don't believe you should be concerning yourself with soliciting opinions on this or you'll drive yourself crazy.

The chip that you bought has already been delidded and resealed.  Right off the bat, you don't have to worry about testing it stock and then dealing with the uninstall and delid some time later down the road.  They've included a 1 year warranty and guarantee the chip will run at 5 GHz with an average 240mm AIO.   

Trust me, there's nothing more annoying than only being able to get 4.9 Ghz stable when you see tons of people at or above 5 GHz.  It'll drive you nuts and you'll end up doing dumb shit just to get there like running excessive voltage.  Yeah, the performance difference between 4.9 and 5 GHz is minimal, but that 5 GHz is a nice clean number to see everyday when you boot that new rig of yours up.  Considering that there are reviewers out there only hitting 4.8 to 4.9 GHz with their chips, I'd say you've done yourself a favor.  Enjoy it and don't worry about what the other guy thinks.  :D

Congrats and good luck.

15.JPG

It's true that most chips should be able to get 5GHz.

But it means most ... so some will be still stuck with 4,8GHz when they lost silicon lottery.

Then again difference between 4,8GHz and 5GHz is almost nothing.

The most important thing is that this CPU is delided and it will not overheat.

Sure you could buy delidding tool yourself + that liquid metal ... all together should cost around 40-50€.

So you are paying like 60€ extra for them to test that CPU will indeed work at 5GHz, have stable temperature, and you don't risk deliding by yourself.

If you ask me, that's not so bad deal.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

As has been noted by other members, you're paying an "early adopters tax". Most people haven't been able to get their hands on the Coffee Lake chips. I wouldn't say that you have WASTED money. After all, you got one of, if not the best gaming CPU available way ahead of everyone else. Last I checked, every site was out of stock. You paid extra for bragging rights and that's really it. No harm, no foul. 

Bad move.

Not only have you paid more for an average chip, you have guaranteed you will not get an above average one. 

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

I think I've decided I'm happy with the purchase now, it was an impulse buy that I didn't really consider all the pros and cons. I'm sure the majority of you guys are right in saying the small performance boost is not worth the premium I paid for it but it's been dispatched now and I will be happy to start building my pc on Monday!  

This is my first build and I don't think I would have the confidence de-lidding the CPU and from what I gather this will help the temps, 5ghz seems like a good

overclock I'm not going to be upset if I cant get it any higher. Thank you all for your replies my mind is a rest now I have had some time for the dust to settle.

I also plan on showing my creation when it has been built! doing a 250d Mini ITX build.   

4 minutes ago, Reich said:

How is the 8700k by any means "average"? It is, according to all benchmarks, most certainly above average.

And how has he guaranteed that he will not get an above average CPU?

I'm sorry, I think you missunderstood me.  The 5GHz 8700k he is receiving, is an "average" 8700k.  Since the chip was binned, if it was any better than 5GHz, it would be being sold as such.  If he bought a retail chip, he could possibly get a chip that overclocks better than 5GHz.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

18 hours ago, Kendo said:

Yes tky probably wasted your money. 4.7 is easy to get (often on stock voltages) and 300mhz won't get you any noticeable performance increase in day to day tasks. Also you know it won't go higher because if it did, then it'd have sold for that price. You payed 110 extra for a slightly above average chip. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo