~$1600 Gaming PC Need help with a few Parts

Hello, I am building a pc for Christmas this year, and I've been pulling together some parts and I need help picking the final 2 parts, being the motherboard and power supply (I know literally nothing about these other than they supply power lol).  This is my current list of parts, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, I would like to not go over $1700 MAX, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RxQ6kT Thanks for your help and happy teching.

1 minute ago, Fardin said:

dont get 7700k, get 8600/8700k instead. 

this has less speed but more cores/theads, dont you want more speed for general gaming?

6 minutes ago, pfm4 said:

this has less speed but more cores/theads, dont you want more speed for general gaming?

no, you are misinformed. 8700k has all core turbo nearly at 4.2ghz & single core 4.7ghz . if you are lucky you will be able to overclock to 5ghz without issue. 8700k is the best gaming chip exist in market right now. btw what resolution of your monitor & the water cooling kit you selected comes with with lga socket also? 

1 minute ago, Fardin said:

no, you are misinformed. 8700k has all core turbo nearly at 4.2ghz & single core 4.7ghz . if you are lucky you will be able to overclock to 5ghz without issue. 8700k is the best gaming chip exist in market right now. btw what resolution of your monitor & the water cooling kit you selected comes with with lga socket also? 

monitor is 1080p 24 inch and lga socket? sorry im new to this

22 minutes ago, pfm4 said:

Hello, I am building a pc for Christmas this year, and I've been pulling together some parts and I need help picking the final 2 parts, being the motherboard and power supply (I know literally nothing about these other than they supply power lol).  This is my current list of parts, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, I would like to not go over $1700 MAX, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RxQ6kT Thanks for your help and happy teching.

cooler only supports TR4, ram is overpriced, get a cheaper SL308 instead if you're just gaming, don't need a disc drive if you're just using it to install windows.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, pfm4 said:

I just noticed now the cooler you selected that's aio exclusively for threadripper cpu, it wont be compatible with your cpu socket & would be waste of money. give a min, let me make a build on your budget.  

3 minutes ago, pfm4 said:

which model is your monitor?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($279.89 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright - Macho Direct 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler  ($44.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($154.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: SK hynix - SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Toshiba - P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($40.49 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Black Edition Video Card  ($734.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($52.98 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($92.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1640.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-02 02:12 EDT-0400

do you HAVE to build in the next month or 2 or can it be a belated gift? RAM prices are stupid high, GPU's are still inflated unless you catch a sale.

here is a better overall build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dn66kT

I dropped the M.2 SSD as it's NOT worth the 20-25 dollar premium over the 850 Evo, I went ahead and went with the 8700k because the 7700k is pointless now and bumped you up to a 1080 from the 1070, also dropped to 3000Mhz RAM, the 3200 is pointless waste of money, you might get 1 or 2% better FPS over 3,000 so not worth the 35% higher buy in price, I also dropped the DVD drive but far enough in budget to add it back, same with the Windows install, but you could do like I've been doing and just download, install and NEVER activate the Windows 10 install, i'm a year in with no issues other then the watermark, if you do pay I suggest like Kinquin or somewhere like that, you can get Windows for 20-30 bucks that way, if you run unactivated and where willing to cut the RAM in half till the middle of next year when RAM prices cut in HALF you could possibly swap the 1080 for a 1080ti if you catch a sale, like the 1080 I have listed is 532, I had a newegg email earlier for 100 off the Zotac amp extreme 1080ti making it an even 700 bucks, thats a 168 dollar difference, my build comes in 88 dollars under your 1700 max (after rebates), that leaves 80 dollars to go, well you could cut like 70 buy going to a single 8GB stick, alternatively you could swap the 8700k for the 8600k, pay for your Windows and keep your RAM and come out around the same dollar amount with the 1080ti.

also keep an eye out for cashback promos and stuff, I was browsing an app on my phone my sister told me about called Ibotta and they had a 1 time use (for first time customers) to Jet.com so instead of there normal 1.5% cashback it was 15% casback with a max cap at 100 bucks, I used that, stacked with other Jet site discounts and the 1.5% cashback from my Credit Card so after all was said and done I paid $583 for a Founders 1080ti, which is WAY cheaper then anywhere to get one of those (but it took a month to get all my cashbacks, so if you can "float" parts of the budget that helps save money in the long run).