Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Water or Air for 8700k?

 Share

kinda stuck between getting the Noctua NH-U14S or the H100i V2 for my 8700k. I will be planning on overclocking it to 4.8ghz. I already have the H100i V2 but it is still sealed in the Amazon box. The only reason why I'm considering this is the price... I don't wanna spend £100 on an AIO where an air cooler for half the price can do the job. If I was to go with an air cooler, I don't want something too big that you cannot see my RGB memory.

 

just for reference:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/DMjG3C/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu14s

or

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/CrDzK8/corsair-cpu-cooler-cw9060025ww

 

Thanks,

Sean.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand the question.

 

If you already have the H100 then why even consider getting the Noctua? Use the one you already have.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Same. Especially when overclocking a watercooler will keep your CPU nice and cool (ish)

75% of what I say is sarcastic

 

So is the rest probably

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Master Disaster said:

I don't understand the question.

 

If you already have the H100 then why even consider getting the Noctua? Use the one you already have.

It's sealed and could be sent back?

75% of what I say is sarcastic

 

So is the rest probably

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

kinda stuck between getting the Noctua NH-U14S or the H100i V2 for my 8700k. I will be planning on overclocking it to 4.8ghz. I already have the H100i V2 but it is still sealed in the Amazon box. The only reason why I'm considering this is the price... I don't wanna spend £100 on an AIO where an air cooler for half the price can do the job. If I was to go with an air cooler, I don't want something too big that you cannot see my RGB memory.

 

 

if both can do the job for your overclock i would go with the aircooler, i recently had a custom loop and i had aio's before but nothing is more reliable and quieter than a good aircooler like noctua. (IMO)

 

i will say that aio's look better in most pc builds. but that's up to you

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-12700KF 5.1ghz/4.1Ghz - Asus GTX 1080TI Strix OC - Corsair vengeance 32GB 3200Mhz -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

the watercooler will do a better job especially when you get towards the higher tdp side of things, the air cooler will probably manage just fine, but its a big block of metal with an "untastefully colored" fan on it, and will probably be rather on edge thermal wise (guessing from their TDP guide)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I don't understand the question.

 

If you already have the H100 then why even consider getting the Noctua? Use the one you already have.

i'm trying to save as much money as I can on rather just spending it at pointless things that have no benefit over another product that's lower in price.

 

45 minutes ago, wildthing said:

if both can do the job for your overclock i would go with the aircooler, i recently had a custom loop and i had aio's before but nothing is more reliable and quieter than a good aircooler like noctua. (IMO)

 

i will say that aio's look better in most pc builds. but that's up to you

i'm tempted to just buy the noctua and test both coolers out and return whichever one performs worse.

 

42 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the watercooler will do a better job especially when you get towards the higher tdp side of things, the air cooler will probably manage just fine, but its a big block of metal with an "untastefully colored" fan on it, and will probably be rather on edge thermal wise (guessing from their TDP guide)

I don't mind the colour of the fan. if you were to guesstimate what temps do you think the noctua will go up to at 4.8ghz?

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, SeanAngelo said:

I don't mind the colour of the fan. if you were to guesstimate what temps do you think the noctua will go up to at 4.8ghz?

depends on:

- what kind of voltage you'll need

- ambient temperature

- case fan setup

- the amount of fan noise you can deal with

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my two cents. I used to always use 120mm air coolers. They are very good for what they do. The liquid cooling solutions give you added flexibility, lower noise in most cases and you do not have to worry about bad cooling cases. Water is less dependent on a case having good air flow vs a case with good aesthetics but bad air flow such as the Phanteks P400 case. With that said any water cooler of 240mm or more is what I think is best. A 120mm cooler is mostly for the cool factor as it cannot outperform a 120mm air cooler. 

Ryzen 5600 Be Quiet! PureBase500DX  CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB  Asus ROG Strix B450-F   1660 Super   Ballistix Sport LT E-die 32GB 2x16 3800mhz   SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB NVMe  Seagate Barracuda 3TB  Aukey Mechanical Keyboard Red switches Logitech G502 mouse  EVGA Supernova 550w GA gold   32" Acer curved 1440p 144hz 32" MSI Curved 1440p165hz  Aopen 32" 1440p 144hz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

H2Oh yeah

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

Liquid Cooling is better its quieter and I've never seen a Air Cooler get as high as 4.8 without frying the CPU. Plus with I7 it runs fast enough that you don't need to overclock unless you intend to use your pc as a workstation. Most games these days realy on how much ram you have and how good your GPU is. It depends on your preference really but Liquid cooling would give lower temps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×