Old second monitor

Nordellak

Hi everybody,

I'm planning of building a new pc with a GTX 1070 for which I will buy a 144hz 1920x1080 monitor. I would also like to reuse my old 60hz 1440x900 monitor that only has VGA connection as a secondary screen. I have a couple of questions about this setup.

First of all, since my old monitor only has VGA connection and the GTX 1070 doesn't have it (it has a DL DVI-D output to which, as far as I know, I cannot use with a simple converter since it provides a digital output while VGA is analog), I was wondering if I could connect the second monitor directly to the motherboard while the main monitor is plugged into the graphics card. I won't use the second monitor for any kind of gaming, only web browsing and document editing, so I'm not worried about performance on that part. What I'm worried about is if I will be able to use both monitors if they are connected to different places.

Finally, I have read one the internet that some people, when they connect their old 60hz monitors together with a new 144hz monitor, the latter is limited to 60hz in some cases. Is this something that can happen? And if so, is there a way to remedy it?

Thank you :D

what motherboard will you use? 

most modern motherboards have a setting in the bios which overrides the disabeling of the iGPU when you plug a dedicated card in. if you do this, you can use the iGPU and your dedicated card at the same time. make sure the board you are going to use supports it. 

also, are you planning to go with intel or amd? because ryzen as far as i know doesn't have integrated graphics, and thus the ports on the motherboard won't do anything. 

She/Her

I will use an MSI Z270-A Pro motherboard with an Intel i5 7600K. Do you know if this motherboard has the setting you are talking about, or what is the name of the feature so that I can try to look it up?

Thanks for the answer :)