Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CPU Thermal Compound.

Zeruel Zypher

Im looking to re-apply thermal compound for my alienware 14 and i would like to know what is the best for a toasty CPU.

anything you can buy off shelf in store will probably be better than the bulk stuff they put on originally

The best in the industry are generally recognized as MX-4, Arctic Silver 5, IC Diamond, and Thermal Grizzly Cryonaught(sp?)

PSU Tier List Thread | Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | Corsair HX850 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

arctic silver is usually most peoples go-to for thermal compound.

its cheap and works really well.

if you really want to get better, you're looking at Thermal grizzly Kryonaut

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

Cryonaught(sp?)

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Just now, Tsuki said:

Figured I had the spelling wrong lol thus the question mark at the end. Thanks. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | Corsair HX850 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Tsuki said:

arctic silver is like 10$ in store when the 5$ one they well next to it is just as good within 1 or 2C. it just got better marketing

Just now, legacy99 said:

Figured I had the spelling wrong lol thus the question mark at the end. Thanks. 

yea i saw that, thats why i figured i'd tag you, just in case you cared enough to know the right spelling  lol

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

7 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

The best in the industry are generally recognized as MX-4, Arctic Silver 5, IC Diamond, and Thermal Grizzly Cryonaught(sp?)

I've lost some faith in AS.  Maybe I got a bad batch, but I got way cooler temps with MX-4.  I'm using Noctua NT-H1 now (one of the only products they make that doesn't look like diarrhea) and it seems slightly better.

4 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

arctic silver is like 10$ in store when the 5$ one they well next to it is just as good within 1 or 2C. it just got better marketing

Thermals are a bigger deal for laptops though.

5 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

I've got absolutely no experience to back it up, but I heard their thermal paste wears down fast.  Do you know if there's any truth to that?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I've lost some faith in AS.  Maybe I got a bad batch, but I got way cooler temps with MX-4.  I'm using Noctua NT-H1 now (one of the only products they make that doesn't look like diarrhea) and it seems slightly better.

I have only used ICDiamond for the last 7 or 8 years so I am not sure personally on the others beyond what I see around the web with tests done comparing thermal pastes ans these were the ones usually in the top 5 or so that are not a liquid metal based TIM. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

18 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

yeah but then again changing the thermal compound is generally not the solution for that.

16 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I have only used ICDiamond for the last 7 or 8 years so I am not sure personally on the others beyond what I see around the web with tests done comparing thermal pastes ans these were the ones usually in the top 5 or so that are not a liquid metal based TIM. 

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, and it does have relevance to the OP: Is that stuff abrasive at all?  I've never used it.  Laptop CPU's don't have an IHS, so you're placing it directly on the die.

@Jay Zypher I don't know if you've taken a laptop apart before, but it's not easy.  I've taken apart hundreds, and I still make mistakes sometimes.  Your model isn't especially difficult, but it's also not convenient.  You'll have to take apart almost the entire thing to get to the heatsink.  Watch this from start to finish (I know it's long, but you'll probably spend more time on this yourself anyway):

Also keep a copy of this handy.  It's a disassembly guide by Dell.  Get some compressed air to clean out the dust too.  That's your main concern.  Finally, if you don't have a good bit set, I strongly recommend this one.  I've been through a lot of sets over the years, and this is the only one that hasn't let me down.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

@JoostinOnline ICDiamond can be mildly abrasive as it does have crushed Diamonds in it but it usually takes lots of applications and movements etc to really do any damage, and usually all it is is removing some etching on the IHS and does not hurt the chip in the slightest. So if you do 1 and done, you are perfectly fine without issue. It would take numerous applications sit heating pressurized etc probably dozen or so times for it to start showing wear on your IHS from it. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, legacy99 said:

@JoostinOnline ICDiamond can be mildly abrasive as it does have crushed Diamonds in it but it usually takes lots of applications and movements etc to really do any damage, and usually all it is is removing some etching on the IHS and does not hurt the chip in the slightest. So if you do 1 and done, you are perfectly fine without issue. It would take numerous applications sit heating pressurized etc probably dozen or so times for it to start showing wear on your IHS from it. 

There is no IHS on a mobile CPU.  Here's a picture of the current laptop I'm (trying to) fix right now:

20171101_004639.thumb.jpg.caf4c95bb8e50b4f2d28c0baa0c7e6e6.jpg

The heatsink sits right on top of the die.  I wouldn't worry about putting it on metal, but silicon is another story.

@JoostinOnline mmmk, so ICDiamond may not be the best option then for an open die. MX-4 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut would be the best then in terms of thermals. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

53 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I've got absolutely no experience to back it up, but I heard their thermal paste wears down fast.  Do you know if there's any truth to that?

i havent gotten to do any long term testing with it yet.

i applied it to my cpu, then redid my entire build a month later, and just recently swapped my cooler again.

and the gpu i applied it to, i no longer have lol  (sold it)

Kryonaut isnt the easiest to apply, its super dense and doesnt spread easy.  that being said, you only need a little bit. i dont even prespread it like it suggests, just a tiny dot and let pressure do the rest.

i can imagine people using WAY too much and it not working well.  but i havent personally had issues, or heard that it goes bad fast.

but ill def. keep an eye on it and make a post if i notice anything.

EDIT: looking at the 1 and 2 star reviews on amazon, they are saying it only have 1-2 applications with the same tube i got (the 1gram tube).  that tells me they are using way the fuck too much. im on 4 applications of the stuff, and i have enough for at least 2 more, ill probably do my new gpu this week sometime.

|Specs in profile|