Kik VS Discord Or Neither?

Go to solution Solved by Geekz45679,
  1. Yes, all of the voice/text/video/screen packets of discord are relayed through their own servers and the connection is not P2P (Peer to Peer).
  2. You can block the display of the following: link previews, images directly uploaded, image link previews.
  3. No, their are virtually no security problems with Discord as far as I know, you are able to set weather you'd like to scan all received DMs or not, who can add you as a friend and if you'd like to be able to receive DMs from fellow members in a server that you're in.

Personally, I love Discord and will never go back to Skype.

Over the past few months I've periodically been hounded to try either Kik or Discord as a secondary means of communication between my online friends. However no offense to them intended, but I just don't trust anyone enough to use anything I thought was similar to Skype or social media. After finally researching them though I actually can't find anything wrong with. Apparently Discord is DDOS proof & Kik doesn't expose any personally identifiable information either, claiming to be a very secure messaging app. Although I know malicious attachments embedded within pics, videos or links could possibly be sent with either, here are my questions about that & more.

1: Is Discord or Kik really DDOS proof & how exactly do they go about hiding your IP when Skype still doesn't?

2: Is there a setting within Discord or Kik to automatically block images, videos, links or any other specified attachment yet still use the text & voice chat?

3: Are there any other security & privacy vulnerabilities with either app that I should be aware of before using?

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

1. Can't tell

2. You can block certain people and their message won't show up. You can also disable previewing pics/vids in discord. Not sure bout Kik

3. Discord servers sometimes go offline for a while

rip

1. Yes, all of the voice/text/video/screen packets of discord are relayed through their own servers and the connection is not P2P (Peer to Peer).
  2. You can block the display of the following: link previews, images directly uploaded, image link previews.
  3. No, their are virtually no security problems with Discord as far as I know, you are able to set weather you'd like to scan all received DMs or not, who can add you as a friend and if you'd like to be able to receive DMs from fellow members in a server that you're in.

1 hour ago, tp95112 said:

I use discord, no issues. 

1 hour ago, rip said:

1. Can't tell

2. You can block certain people and their message won't show up. You can also disable previewing pics/vids in discord. Not sure bout Kik

3. Discord servers sometimes go offline for a while

36 minutes ago, Geekz45679 said:

Thank you all for the feedback, just might give em a go now.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

6 hours ago, Mike Soda said:

Thank you all for the feedback, just might give em a go now.

No problemo.

I can vouch for Discord best online chat program out there right now.  Kik isn't bad for mobile but Discord is great both on desktop and mobile.