Go for Ryzen 1500x or Intel Core i3 8100?

I need to build a computer right now for my nephew's fifteenth birthday, but I have a dilemma. I want to get the best overall performance in games and overall daily tasks and am stuck between these CPUs. I could get the 4 core 4 thread Intel part for $120, but the motherboard also costs $120 bringing the total to $240 because I can't wait until January for the lower end chipsets to come out. I could also get the $160 Ryzen part with the motherboard costing as low as $90, bringing my total to $250. Is it worth going for the Ryzen part or the intel part considering it will cost the same?

What resolution/refresh rate will he be playing at?

And what GPU is it going to be paired with?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

What resolution/refresh rate will he be playing at?

And what GPU is it going to be paired with?

It will be paired with a gtx 1050ti and will be played at 1080p. The system is also for web browsing purposes. 

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

The 1500X has 4 cores and 8 threads, whereas the 8100 only has 4 cores. You could get the cheapest B350 mobo that isn't MSI and save some more money there.

Sorry, but why is there alot people not recommending MSI lately?

2 minutes ago, Maximusfoximus said:

It will be paired with a gtx 1050ti and will be played at 1080p. The system is also for web browsing purposes. 

Go for the 1500X, bare in mind you'll need a cooler though as the Ryzen 5/7 X's dont include one. You could get a 1400 though, which is still 4c/8t, slightly lower stock clock speeds, but comes with a cooler.

Edit - oh forget that, apprantly the 1500X does, its 1600X and up where the X's have no cooler.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, tp95112 said:

Sorry, but why is there alot people not recommending MSI lately?

Because they used rather shitty MOSFETs for the VRMs on the board, therefore they can die sooner/give bad voltage (in terms of quality) to the CPU...etc

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Because they used rather shitty MOSFETs for the VRMs on the board, therefore they can die sooner/give bad voltage (in terms of quality) to the CPU...etc

Oh damn, alright. Has this just been for b350 lines of boards?

The 1500x is imho not worth it vs that intel chip. If you're already stretching things go for the 1600. Yes it will be even more money but if you can perhaps find it second hand I'd be much better.

-------

Current Rig

-------

27 minutes ago, Maximusfoximus said:

I need to build a computer right now for my nephew's fifteenth birthday, but I have a dilemma. I want to get the best overall performance in games and overall daily tasks and am stuck between these CPUs. I could get the 4 core 4 thread Intel part for $120, but the motherboard also costs $120 bringing the total to $240 because I can't wait until January for the lower end chipsets to come out. I could also get the $160 Ryzen part with the motherboard costing as low as $90, bringing my total to $250. Is it worth going for the Ryzen part or the intel part considering it will cost the same?

why not the 1600?

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Just now, SeanAngelo said:

why not the 1600?

1600 is gonna cost me a little too much. I don't really want to spend over 400 on the system as a whole

5 hours ago, Maximusfoximus said:

1600 is gonna cost me a little too much. I don't really want to spend over 400 on the system as a whole

I would almost say move down to a r3 1200, overclock it. and get a better graphics card with the money you save. gtx 1060 even 3gb or rx 580 4gb would be a huge jump in performance. 

11 hours ago, Maximusfoximus said:

doesn't matter, both will fullfill your needs so pick what you like the most...i wouldnt get the 1500X...if you go ryzen get a non X so that you get the cooler and just overclock the CPU a little bit by yourself later when you need it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

If you are that tight on budget, why not looking for some second-hand parts to keep the cost down and upgrade later when u have the budget.