Workstation build x299. Adding more ram

ZachTobin

Hi guys, new to the forum. Hello to all :)

I am building a workstation for 3d modelling and rendering using programs Maya, 3ds Max, Vray, Arnold etc. The computer will also be used for digital painting in photoshop and graphic work using illustrator, after effects etc...

I will be gaming on this machine but it will be mainly used for 3D work.

I am planning on building with the following parts...

MOBO: X299 SLI Plus (Socket 2066)

CPU: i7-7820X 3.6GHz

GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070Ti AMP Extreme 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (ZT-P10710C-10P)

RAM: Vengeance LED 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-21300C16 2666MHz Dual Channel Kit - White LED   or   Vengeance LPX 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 PC4-21300C16 2666MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit - Black (CMK64GX

M.2 SSD (Boot Drive): Samsung 960 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive

HDD: 2 x WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - OEM (10EZEX)

PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750W '80 Plus Platinum' Modular Power Supply

CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler

CASE: NZXT H700i Midi Tower Gaming Case - Black

Monitor: Dell U2414H Ultrasharp IPS 1920x1080

I have listed two options for ram choices. I am planning on installing 64gb of ram and am wondering is it possible to buy 2x16 gb stick for now as a dual channel setup and in a few months when i have the cash, buy another 2x16gb kit and install this to make it run in quad channel? Would i be better off just getting a 4x16 gb kit? Also i have chosen the x299 mobo as I may need to upgrade ram further in the future and want the possibility to be there as this is going to be my main workstation for the next few years. Apologies if this question has been asked before but i have been searching a lot and have yet to find what is the best solution.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

4 minutes ago, ZachTobin said:

it possible to buy 2x16 gb stick for now as a dual channel setup and in a few months when i have the cash, buy another 2x16gb kit and install this to make it run in quad channel?

Sure is

Also welcome to the forum ^^

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

just get dual channel for now and get more ram as you save up for it since it's very expensive these days.Im sure your build will be good for many years before you feel any need for a new mobo and processor.

@ZachTobin

It is theoretically possible to buy a dual channel kit and at a later time add a second identical kit and get quad channel memory operation. However, this is less than a certainty. I would suggest going with a quad channel kit to start. Besides, there are eight memory slots on the motherboard, so a second 4x8GB kit or even 4x16GB kit (check motherboard manual) can be easily added later.

I would suggest a Cryorig H7 cpu cooler. A Noctua NH-U14S would be even better.

If you can squeeze one into the budget, I would suggest an i9-7900X.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Thanks for the great advice brob. 

I will have to have a second look at my choice of cpu cooler, maybe going for the noctua will be better in the long run with the warranty and build quality being soo good.

Unfortunately the extra jump to 7900x would be a bit much for my budget. Possibly could upgrade in the future though...

As for the ram i might just go with the 32gb (4x8gb) quad and avoid any possible issues with quad channel support further down the line. That way i can still add up to another 64gb extra ram. 

Cheers