Internet connection weird with router hooked up.

So i have a weird issue with my internet connection when i use my router. it started about two years ago. At this current time i don't use a router i just run the cable from the wall to my pc.

If i were to hook up the router at this point it would work fine UNTIL i shutdown or restart my pc. After that computer says i have connection but i can't access internet sometimes i can load a few pages but they do take 10-15 mins to load. but it's very rare that happens. Wifi works fine at all times. If i want to regain connection to internet i need remove the router and do it as i have it now, restart computer and then rehook the router and it works until i restart or shut down computer again.

At this point i would love to get this fixed as i want to get the roccat app for a spare phone for a simulator game i play to get more controls so i don't have to reach for my keyboard all the time.

I was thinking of buying a new router but i can't see my router being broken as wifi works fine i can restart my phone and nothing changes. and my pc works on cable solid until a restart.

Calling my isp and get their help is not an option as my package don't include a router even though i have one of their routers. Was to supposed to be returned but my friend never got the papers to send it back.

When this first started i was on a few forums and asked for help and we tried different options. For some reason my ip was changing every time i restarted my computer back then so we tried forcing the pc to have an ip but that did not change anything.

Do anyone have any ideas of what the issue might be?

6 minutes ago, Nailroth said:

So i have a weird issue with my internet connection when i use my router. it started about two years ago. At this current time i don't use a router i just run the cable from the wall to my pc.

If i were to hook up the router at this point it would work fine UNTIL i shutdown or restart my pc. After that computer says i have connection but i can't access internet sometimes i can load a few pages but they do take 10-15 mins to load. but it's very rare that happens. Wifi works fine at all times. If i want to regain connection to internet i need remove the router and do it as i have it now, restart computer and then rehook the router and it works until i restart or shut down computer again.

At this point i would love to get this fixed as i want to get the roccat app for a spare phone for a simulator game i play to get more controls so i don't have to reach for my keyboard all the time.

I was thinking of buying a new router but i can't see my router being broken as wifi works fine i can restart my phone and nothing changes. and my pc works on cable solid until a restart.

Calling my isp and get their help is not an option as my package don't include a router even though i have one of their routers. Was to supposed to be returned but my friend never got the papers to send it back.

When this first started i was on a few forums and asked for help and we tried different options. For some reason my ip was changing every time i restarted my computer back then so we tried forcing the pc to have an ip but that did not change anything.

Do anyone have any ideas of what the issue might be?

A: What is your router?

B: What is your ethernet card?

This is very weird. Does this happen on any other routers? How about plugging directly into the modem?

What do you mean by "i just run the cable from the wall to my pc", where does that cable come from? Where does that wifi come from? How have you been able to connect more than one device to the internet with no router at all?

Are you on some kind of shared network?

Having no router at all for your own internet connection is such a strange setup. I've only ever seen something like that in a rental property where some slumlord decided that putting all devices (in all twenty units) in one giant subnet was somehow a good idea.

26 minutes ago, Nailroth said:

For some reason my ip was changing every time i restarted my computer back then so we tried forcing the pc to have an ip but that did not change anything.

Your PC's IP is supposed to change when you hook up that router, set this to DHCP and try again.

Main Linux rig: HP Elitebook 2560P (i5-2410M, 8 GB, Pop! OS)

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

Phone: Asus Zenfone 10

1. are the ethernet ports on the router still okay? maybe there is dust in them or something making bad contact..?

2. how old is that router?

3. what network card are you using in your pc? 

She/Her

Whatever you do, DO NOT connect your PC to the internet without some kind of firewall (as would be present in any decent router). That is the best way to get yourself a virus apart from actively installing one

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

By running the cable from the wall to the pc i mean i run a cable from my ethernet connection i have in the wall to the pc. I run fiber optic internet as it's the cheapest and most popular choice for internet. I currently don't have any wifi or else i would not need the router fix.

Router is about 4 years old. 

network card is the one on the mobo. Gigabyte b150m - hd3

Router is a Technicolor TG799TSvn v2 (you don't think you can find much info on it. It's a isp only router here)

Got no modem to plug into as the router is a modem, router, phone and tv modem all in one.

My other router i have is a dsl router i bought when i still lived at home and as a dsl it won't work with fiber.

The ports are clean from dust and works fine as long as i don't restart the computer.

However i did check what other posts i had made on this forum and found one about the issue.

There was a post that my network was at the time set to 24 bit when normaly it's 16 bit.

3 minutes ago, Nailroth said:

By running the cable from the wall to the pc i mean i run a cable from my ethernet connection i have in the wall to the pc. I run fiber optic internet as it's the cheapest and most popular choice for internet. I currently don't have any wifi or else i would not need the router fix.

Router is a Technicolor TG799TSvn v2 (you don't think you can find much info on it. It's a isp only router here)

Got no modem to plug into as the router is a modem, router, phone and tv modem all in one.

My other router i have is a dsl router i bought when i still lived at home and as a dsl it won't work with fiber.

The ports are clean from dust and works fine as long as i don't restart the computer.

However i did check what other posts i had made on this forum and found one about the issue.

There was a post that my network was at the time set to 24 bit when normaly it's 16 bit.

Ditch the ISP provided stuff. Get a Nighthawk from Netgear, Asus router or something. For the modem, what ISP do you have? Because that will decide on what modem you will need.

11 minutes ago, Nailroth said:

That's probably about subnetting. Just set your pc to DHCP ("automatically get an ip" or whatever Windows calls it) and it should work with your router.

You have fiber, so there should be a little box somewhere with fiber going in and ethernet coming out. Are you connected directly to that box?

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

I would get a cheap router if anything but this router is a good router. Now i can't remember who makes it but it's either d-link or netgear. i'm 80% sure it's netgear. It's just made for isps here were they can set restrictions on what you can do with it. I would only buy a new router if this one is broken and it don't seem to be as it works as long as my pc never shuts off. there is a communication issue between the router and pc after a pc restart.

Modem is something we don't have. we haven't had modems since 03 or so.

Box and box but yea. thats were i'm connected. it's more of a ethernet jack in the wall. I believe we have a box in the utility room and from there it goes ethernet cables to all the apartments were you plug in.

Now it starts to make sense. My fiber ISP runs a similar setup.

Browse to "settings" -> "network & internet" -> "view your network properties" on your PC, what kind of IP addresses do you see there?

It should look something like this:

image.png.ae76810e08424a68432fc65283fdc78f.png

If you see anything but 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x or 172.16-31.x.x here means that you're directly connected to the internet with a public IP, which is both insecure and inconvenient.

IPv4 address:    81.229.200.231
IPv4 DNS Servers:    195.67.199.24
Manufacturer:    Realtek
Description:    Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Driver version:    9.1.406.2015
Physical address (MAC):    ‎1C-1B-0D-1E-88-05
Is what i see. This is without router

Just now, Nailroth said:

IPv4 address:    81.229.200.231
IPv4 DNS Servers:    195.67.199.24
 is what i see

you are directly connected to the internet, not a router.

Yeah, that means that your PC has received a public IP address directly from your ISP.

Now connect the router and set your pc to "automatically obtain an IP address", if all your devices on wifi can get on the internet through that router than it should just work the same for your pc.

Have you ever messed with a screen that looks like this:

image.png.7eb80de24f9cd5d55b1bc65817e737bd.png

If yes, change it back to "Obtain an IP address automatically"

Yes i have but it didn't work so i changed back. But i had to reinstall windows a week ago. as my ssd broke. so i have a fresh install now.

IPv4 address:    192.168.1.64
IPv4 DNS Servers:    192.168.1.1
Primary DNS suffix:    lan

Is what i have now as router is hooked in. ill restart computer and copy what it says after restart and come back and see if that help you figure out this issue

Ok, then in theory everything should "just work" when you connect the router.

If you hook it all up how it's supposed to be and the wifi is working fine then we can start troubleshooting the PC.

Okey this is weird but in a good way i hope. restarted the pc and i still have internet. and speed test is normal 103 up and 113 down. I did test after i did the fresh install just to see if there was something wrong with windows when it all failed and it was like it used to be nothing working after a restart.

Wifi works fine as my phone no longer functions. (about a year since i was connected to wifi so a LOT of updates incoming)

Maybe the issue will show it self later on if so ill return to this topic with updates.

An incompatible ip configuration on your previous install could have caused an issue like this.

Good to know that it's working now.

Yeah thats what i figued when i went to try it after a fresh install. When that didn't work i started doing research as i hate to post on forums before days of research trying to figure it out myself so i don't get the response google is your friend.

The only thing i have done concerning internet since the reinstall is going in and copying the info i sent earlier.

oh well main is that it works lets just hope it's permanent

8 hours ago, Nailroth said:

i bet fiber uses docsis rules

go into router and add your pc mac address to router as the routers mac(how cable recognizes and authorizes your device)

or call isp and tell them routers mac so they can change your accounts authorization

dsl uses hostname and password

if fiber uses dsl like rules then router needs ppoe(hostname and password) added to its setup config

Edited by bcguru9384
more info

7 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

i bet fiber uses docsis rules

go into router and add your pc mac address to router as the routers mac(how cable recognizes and authorizes your device)

or call isp and tell them routers mac so they can change your accounts authorization

dsl uses hostname and password

if fiber uses dsl like rules then router needs ppoe(hostname and password) added to its setup config

His problem has already been solved. None of this applies to OP's situation.

He gets a straight ip address directly from his provider with no mac filtering or pppoe.

Just now, Just.Oblivious said:

His problem has already been solved. None of this applies to OP's situation.

He gets a straight ip address directly from his provider with no mac filtering or pppoe.

ok

should have been marked solved

what im saying nothing do with filtering but how the provider knows your modem from anyone elses

so uname or mac is needed 

its called two factor authentication and everyone irregardless of dsl cable fiber or even dialup must do