Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Things to watch out for when buying a used card?

1re

So I found a pretty good deal for a 980 (about $100) on craigslist and everything seems fine, but since i've never done this before are there any caveats I should be aware of first?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, 1re said:

So I found a pretty good deal for a 980 (about $100) on craigslist and everything seems fine, but since i've never done this before are there any caveats I should be aware of first?

Thanks!

If it runs firestrike, its fine.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

make sure you see it run before purchase and that is runs a benchmark to the standard it should.

main system build --> i7-7700K (at 5.0 ghz), MSI Z270 SLI Motherboard, corsair vengeance lpx 8gb ddr4 2666mhz,  costume liquid cooling loop with 360 mm radiator on CPU, GTX 1080 gigabyte windforce OC, 1TB WD drive, 128 gb samsung nvme m.2, EVGA 850 watt semi modular power supply, CM storm stryker case (ya not ideal for costume loop), VIOTEK GN34C 34 inch curved monitor <----

Spoiler

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

Make sure the fans spin, check the temps in a stress test, make sure you update drivers. (after the purchase) See if the buyer is willing to run a benchmark on his PC when you go to buy it so you can see it works.

12 minutes ago, 1re said:

Thanks!

The only good thing about buying from Craigslist is that you have a choice.  Don't, it's most likely a scam unless you can get the seller to demonstrate the card works and behaves up-2-par as it should.

If they are not willing to show you it running in person do not buy it. If at any point it feels fishy just back out. you wanna make sure you see it fully running in person so you know you are getting a good card. if they wont do that there is reason and its probably a scam especially when the price seems to good to be true.

main system build --> i7-7700K (at 5.0 ghz), MSI Z270 SLI Motherboard, corsair vengeance lpx 8gb ddr4 2666mhz,  costume liquid cooling loop with 360 mm radiator on CPU, GTX 1080 gigabyte windforce OC, 1TB WD drive, 128 gb samsung nvme m.2, EVGA 850 watt semi modular power supply, CM storm stryker case (ya not ideal for costume loop), VIOTEK GN34C 34 inch curved monitor <----

Spoiler

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

Okay cool, thanks for all the tips

btw. is it EVGA? If it is... then chill. It's probably under warranty :P You can even check it before buying on Guest RMA web. (you need a S/N - Serial Number)

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Pixelbook 2017 (i5, 8GB, 128GB)