Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question about PC Steering wheel and joystick.

SwiftXShadow

Thinking about getting a Steering Wheel with pedals but i was wondering is it only ment for racing games? Can it be set up to sometimes use it like for example in GTA, you get in a car u grab ur wheel and drive,when you get out of your car then you go back to keyboard and mouse. Or any other game like that mad max, just cause, arma etc etc.

I dont care about some high end really good steering wheel setup just a basic one with pedals because lets be honest driving with a keyboard is pretty crap, with the whole tapping your keys while turning or taping to keep at some specific speed.

Same question about joystick, for example enter some plane, jet, helicopter is it possible to have the controls instantly go over to your joystick and when u get out then back to keyboard and mouse.

Idk about a steering wheel in Arma but I do believe you're able to have a joystick for helicopters etc. about everything else, no idea.

i7 6700k | Asus Z170I Pro Gaming ITX |16Gb Kingston HyperX FURY 2400mhz DDR4 | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb + WD Black 2Tb | Corsair RMx 650W | Phanteks EVOLV ITX

16 minutes ago, SwiftXShadow said:

Thinking about getting a Steering Wheel with pedals but i was wondering is it only ment for racing games? Can it be set up to sometimes use it like for example in GTA, you get in a car u grab ur wheel and drive,when you get out of your car then you go back to keyboard and mouse. Or any other game like that mad max, just cause, arma etc etc.

I dont care about some high end really good steering wheel setup just a basic one with pedals because lets be honest driving with a keyboard is pretty crap, with the whole tapping your keys while turning or taping to keep at some specific speed.

Same question about joystick, for example enter some plane, jet, helicopter is it possible to have the controls instantly go over to your joystick and when u get out then back to keyboard and mouse.

There is a hack/mod/tweak for using your wheel in GTA V, most other casual racing games will do just fine with a cheapo 90degree spring loaded non ffb non fancy wheel.

Same with planes, you'll get by just fine without any fancy gear, unless you're looking at srs simming, in which case one should probably spend a bit more monies to get a more 'authentic' experience.

In Arma a lot of people prefer the keyboard/mouse combo for choppers even if they have other peripherals, or a combination of the keyboard/mouse with rudder pedals, which some people use and have configured for use even when on foot.

Not sure if you can configure your flight pedals as racing (gas and brake) ones but there is probably a hack for it too.

Just now, strat guy said:

There is a hack/mod/tweak for using your wheel in GTA V, most other casual racing games will do just fine with a cheapo 90degree spring loaded non ffb non fancy wheel.

Same with planes, you'll get by just fine without any fancy gear, unless you're looking at srs simming, in which case one should probably spend a bit more monies to get a more 'authentic' experience.

In Arma a lot of people prefer the keyboard/mouse combo for choppers even if they have other peripherals, or a combination of the keyboard/mouse with rudder pedals, which some people use and have configured for use even when on foot.

Not sure if you can configure your flight pedals as racing (gas and brake) ones but there is probably a hack for it too.

So game do not just support a quick switch to go from one to the other auto detecting?

9 minutes ago, SwiftXShadow said:

So game do not just support a quick switch to go from one to the other auto detecting?

Haven't tried the GTA hack, no idea. In Arma I only play single player scenarios but have my trackIR 5 and rudder pedal/flight stick configured for the choppers. Arma 3 is pretty arcadey when it comes to flying but its stil more fun HOTAS/headtracking (spl since the game does not support the thumbview joystick lookaround button, afaik anyway)

I can only answer about the GTA mod - Yeah, it supports hot-switching between controller/keyboard and steering wheel. Not sure if you can hook up a joystick to the games' config.

Though you're better off with a good controller than a cheapo non-FFB wheel. If you get a wheel, at the very least get one with more than 360 degrees of rotation and force feedback.

10 hours ago, ikt said:

I can only answer about the GTA mod - Yeah, it supports hot-switching between controller/keyboard and steering wheel. Not sure if you can hook up a joystick to the games' config.

Though you're better off with a good controller than a cheapo non-FFB wheel. If you get a wheel, at the very least get one with more than 360 degrees of rotation and force feedback.

What is a FFB wheel or Non-FFB wheel? whats the FFB?

If dont care for racing games both of them would really be for hot swaping in games that go on and off with driving or flying

If i would buy one it would probably be something like Logitech G920 i have no idea if it has that ffb or something

Force feedback. It's the wheel working against you and actually being able to turn on its own. The G920 has force feedback, but if you're in the Logitech market anyway, get a G29 instead of G920.

Now I think of it, LTT's not done many reviews on this kind of simracing gaming apparatus, only some HOTAS things and the G29.