Copying my hard drive to my ssd

Exceef

So I have a new ssd I bought and I want to install it in my laptop. I need help in transferring everything from my old hard drive to my ssd. How do I do this?

5 minutes ago, Exceef said:

So I have a new ssd I bought and I want to install it in my laptop. I need help in transferring everything from my old hard drive to my ssd. How do I do this?

You could use a drive cloner but in my experience it doesn't really work with windows. There was a good cloner program I used to use but I can't recall the name at the moment sorry. https://lifehacker.com/5839753/the-best-disk-cloning-app-for-windows I am sure any of those would work. But as its a laptop you can't really insert another drive, using a cloner would only work if you have access to a desktop. 

If it where me I would just start from scratch and copy important files to a USB.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

3 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

You could use a drive cloner but in my experience it doesn't really work with windows. There was a good cloner program I used to use but I can't recall the name at the moment sorry. https://lifehacker.com/5839753/the-best-disk-cloning-app-for-windows I am sure any of those would work. But as its a laptop you can't really insert another drive, using a cloner would only work if you have access to a desktop. 

If it where me I would just start from scratch and copy important files to a USB.

What if i remove my old hard drive from my laptop and plug both my ssd and hdd to my desktop and clone it would it work?

5 minutes ago, Exceef said:

What if i remove my old hard drive from my laptop and plug both my ssd and hdd to my desktop and clone it would it work?

Yep. I have done it before...That's also how I backup my dad's window laptop too. Just remember to boot to the desktop HDD. ..

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

1 minute ago, fixitnow said:

Yep. I have done it before...That's also how I backup my dad's window laptop too.

Alright ill try it out now

Cloning is the quickest one but it is more likely to encounter issues on a laptop. My suggestion is to backup everything on your old HDD to a safe place, USB drive or network shared (make sure you can access it later). Create a bootable USB drive (with Windows PE installed). If you have installation disc, it can be used as a bootable device as well. 

Then, replace old hard drive with new SSD on laptop. Boot from the bootable medium and do the restoring. 

It may be time-consuming comparing to disk cloning, yet with higher success rate.