Is my power supply good enough?

I need to know if my power supply is powerful enough for overclocking my CPU.

My PSU is the 410 watt efficiency <75% Power Man IP-P410Q3-2 <--- link to psu specs

I just ordered the Corsair H55 AIO liquid cooling unit and i know that this cooler is fairly capable of some overclocking and so is my board and CPU.

I just dont know if my power supply is good enough.

Low efficiency, 410 watts max. I dont really know if i can push it very far.

System specs.

AMD FX 6300

Corsair H55 AIO

12 GB DDR3 1333MHz

Gigabyte Windforce GTX 960 4GB

450Gb 7200RPM HDD

everything else is kind of irrelevant so i wont bother mentioning it.

Just wondering if my psu is good enough to OC and if not what are some good cheap power supplies that will be capable of OC.

I personally wouldnt trust that power supply at all. Never heard of it. 400W seems like enough to OC your CPU though.

2 minutes ago, IziBartek said:

I personally wouldnt trust that power supply at all. Never heard of it. 400W seems like enough to OC your CPU though.

Its an OEM psu out of some random prebuilt system but it really doesnt seem to bad.

7 minutes ago, Preston builds said:

I need to know if my power supply is powerful enough for overclocking my CPU.

My PSU is the 410 watt efficiency <75% Power Man IP-P410Q3-2 <--- link to psu specs

I just ordered the Corsair H55 AIO liquid cooling unit and i know that this cooler is fairly capable of some overclocking and so is my board and CPU.

I just dont know if my power supply is good enough.

Low efficiency, 410 watts max. I dont really know if i can push it very far.

System specs.

AMD FX 6300

Corsair H55 AIO

12 GB DDR3 1333MHz

Gigabyte Windforce GTX 960 4GB

450Gb 7200RPM HDD

everything else is kind of irrelevant so i wont bother mentioning it.

Just wondering if my psu is good enough to OC and if not what are some good cheap power supplies that will be capable of OC.

I'll say no. Don't try to use a bad power supply for overclocking, it can actually be cause some serious damage if troubles arise. I'll recommend using a good power supply from a reputable manufacturer if you want to overclock.

Here's a thread that can help you get started.

Also check out reviews from sites like http://www.jonnyguru.com/ for some good professional reviews of power supply. 

that thing looks crappy AF. i'd expect it to burst into flames if you even dare to overclock your cpu.

happened to me you know. i had an ewent "500" wtt psu, in my previous gaming rig (Q9550 quad core) and i overclocked that. worked for about 2 weeks. then, BANG, smoke, and the power went off. the stupid thing fried my motherboard, audio interface connected to the pc, and 2 harddrives. 

just get a good quality psu from a respectable brand. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

that thing looks crappy AF. i'd expect it to burst into flames if you even dare to overclock your cpu.

happened to me you know. i had an ewent "500" wtt psu, in my previous gaming rig (Q9550 quad core) and i overclocked that. worked for about 2 weeks. then, BANG, smoke, and the power went off. the stupid thing fried my motherboard, audio interface connected to the pc, and 2 harddrives. 

just get a good quality psu from a respectable brand. 

Ok i just need to somehow get like $50 and ill be good

1 minute ago, Preston builds said:

Ok i just need to somehow get like $50 and ill be good

what do you mean..? somehow get $50? you should have thought about that when you bought your cooler. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

what do you mean..? somehow get $50? you should have thought about that when you bought your cooler. 

Well i needed a cooler because the one i had previously was off ebay for $5 and my system temps were 70 degrees celcius idle

Well i needed a cooler because the one i had previously was off ebay for $5 and my system temps were 70 degrees celcius idle

that liquid cooler is literallty twice as expensive as a hyper 212 evo. "i needed a cooler" is no excuse. 

She/Her

not in my country, also i am using toothpaste for thermal paste so i need a decent cooler

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

you could also just wait with overclocking until your next paycheck.. 

I dont have a job

Just now, Preston builds said:

not in my country, also i am using toothpaste for thermal paste so i need a decent cooler

really? my god, you can get a tube of thermal paste for like €2.

if this is true, your temps won't improve one bit, because the heat won't get transferred to the cooler properly. 

Just now, Preston builds said:

I dont have a job

then how do you buy a $60 watercooler?

She/Her

Thats enough of this discussion I think.... To sum up... Get a good 550W PSU from a trusted manufacturer and some proper thermal paste. Dont try overclocking before doing that.

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

really? my god, you can get a tube of thermal paste for like €2.

if this is true, your temps won't improve one bit, because the heat won't get transferred to the cooler properly. 

then how do you buy a $60 watercooler?

birthday money

3 minutes ago, Preston builds said:

birthday money

Return the water cooler and get a cheap air cooler, some thermal paste and get a non crap PSU. Toothpaste is not gonna cut it and that’s why you had such bad temps

That's an F in the profile pic

Just now, Froody129 said:

Return the water cooler and get a cheap air cooler, some thermal paste and get a non crap PSU. Toothpaste is not gonna cut it and that’s why you had such bad temps

i cant get an air cooler, thermal paste and a non crap psu for $60 ($45 US)

Interestingly enough, it looks like it's made my inwin?!?

However, I still don't really trust it. Efficiency less than 75% isn't a great sign, and across the two twelve volt rails it's only rated for around 320w.

5 minutes ago, Preston builds said:

birthday money

Return it, get a cheap $20 CPU cooler (Cryorig m9i for example) and a decent $40 psu to go with it.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Coolers come with thermal paste on them nearly all the time.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Then return your current cooler and use your old one with thermal paste. That leaves you with like $55 to spend on a non crap PSU 

That's an F in the profile pic