My PSU fine for a GPU upgrade?

GeorgeKellow
Go to solution Solved by HKZeroFive,
2 hours ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Well If I am buying a 1080ti I definitely can afford a good psu, as its a must! As long as its modular and better than I have, It'll be good 

EDIT- Pc part picker says I will be pulling around 491w (Not sure if thats under full load or not) However that is 59w under what the psu is rated for. Is that cutting it fine 

PCPartPicker tends to overestimate power draw. 550W is more than enough for an i7-4790K + GTX 1080Ti, both overclocked.

The GS is prety good quality, you'll be fine.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

550W is more than enough.

It's a flawed unit (protection chip leaves something left to be desired and its performance in cross-overload tests is quite bad) but I'd say it's good enough for a GTX 1080Ti.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

3 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

550W is more than enough.

It's a flawed unit (protection chip leaves something left to be desired and its performance in cross-overload tests is quite bad) but I'd say it's good enough for a GTX 1080Ti.

Thought my PSU is decent. Loads of people have said its decent, how is it a flawed unit? @STRMfrmXMN Help us out? 

1 hour ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Thought my PSU is decent. Loads of people have said its decent, how is it a flawed unit? @STRMfrmXMN Help us out? 

I have the exact PSU you chose. It doesn't properly protect itself when overloaded. Instead of shutting down to save itself and/or your hardware it simply commits suicide. 

It's not a terrible unit outside that but you should probably get a G3 instead.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

49 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I have the exact PSU you chose. It doesn't properly protect itself when overloaded. Instead of shutting down to save itself and/or your hardware it simply commits suicide. 

It's not a terrible unit outside that but you should probably get a G3 instead.

Can I run this 1080ti on it though? 

34 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Can I run this 1080ti on it though? 

Sure, just don't go stupidly crazy with overvolting your hardware and you'll be fine. Just don't put a 16-core AMD chip in it or something along those lines and you'll never exceed that PSUs 545W max.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

9 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

The GS is prety good quality, you'll be fine.

no it's not.

Its rather shit, can die with overload on DC-DC modules. everything is soldered to the PCB, not really a good design...

If it had proper prtection it would have been somewhat OK, nothing special though...

But the case is rather nice and it can be used for "other things", if you have the knowledge and tools :D:D

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

no it's not.

Its rather shit, can die with overload on DC-DC modules. everything is soldered to the PCB, not really a good design...

If it had proper prtection it would have been somewhat OK, nothing special though...

But the case is rather nice and it can be used for "other things", if you have the knowledge and tools :D:D

So what PSU Should I get then? Want fully modular 

14 hours ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Explained it right there; it fails cross-overload tests and has a bad protection chip (HY-510N). To put it more simply, don't overload it or it'll die and it might even take some other components with it.

It depends on how much you can spend on a new PSU. The Corsair RM550x, the BitFenix Whisper M, the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold and the EVGA G3 (warning: it's loud) are all good units.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

4 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

Explained it right there; it fails cross-overload tests and has a bad protection chip (HY-510N). To put it more simply, don't overload it or it'll die and it might even take some other components with it.

It depends on how much you can spend on a new PSU. The Corsair RM550x, the BitFenix Whisper M, the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold and the EVGA G3 (warning: it's loud) are all good units.

Well If I am buying a 1080ti I definitely can afford a good psu, as its a must! As long as its modular and better than I have, It'll be good 

EDIT- Pc part picker says I will be pulling around 491w (Not sure if thats under full load or not) However that is 59w under what the psu is rated for. Is that cutting it fine 

2 hours ago, GeorgeKellow said:

PCPartPicker tends to overestimate power draw. 550W is more than enough for an i7-4790K + GTX 1080Ti, both overclocked.

Spoiler