Audio-Technica ATH-M50x vs M40x

Beef Boss
Go to solution Solved by DrMacintosh,

Of course, the obligatory, "shit on any mention of the M50xs..." 

I'm debating which one to purchase. I listen to a lot of EDM but I don't need bass. Is there a big enough difference in quality to justify the cost between the M50x to the M40x? 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

The M40X is better than the M50X. Out of all ATH-M**X headphones the only one that is good are the M40X. All the others are complete trash. What's your budget for cans?

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Out of all ATH-M**X headphones the only one that is good are the M40X. All the other are complete trash.

wat

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Just now, shadowbyte said:

wat

What do you mean what? That's not hard to understand.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

The M40X is better than the M50X. Out of all ATH-M**X headphones the only one that is good are the M40X. All the other are complete trash. What's your budget for cans?

$150 at the most, I want a great pair of over ear headphones that will last awhile. I don't have them at full volume ever, so they can be quiet. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Just now, BadluckBrian said:

$150 at the most, I want a great pair of over ear headphones that will last awhile. I don't have them at full volume ever, so they can be quiet. 

Open, closed or don't care?

Just now, Max_Settings said:

What do you mean what? That's not hard to understand.

although I'm not an audiophile by any means, I think my m50xs are fairly fantastic for the price

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Polaroid Spectra System

Open, closed or don't care?

Don't care as long as they sound great 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

although I'm not an audiophile by any means, I think my m50xs are fairly fantastic for the price

Trust me, their not. Do some research and you will find that they are not what their reputation would suggest.

Just now, BadluckBrian said:

Don't care as long as they sound great 

SHP9500, HD 558, HD 598

Trust me, their not. Do some research and you will find that they are not what their reputation would suggest.

oh

https://www.soundguys.com/audio-technica-ath-m50x-592/

http://headphones.reviewed.com/content/audio-technica-ath-m50x-headphones-review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5DyEYuvF3o

strangely positive

Polaroid Spectra System

First of all, none of those are reputable headphone reviewers. 

I'll start with this, but I can go all day if you'd like. Don't be the guy who can't accept that they made a wrong purchase.

I'll start with this, but I can go all day if you'd like. Don't be the guy who can't accept that they made a wrong purchase.

I'm sorry for enjoying my purchase I made 1 year ago after watching and reading about 10 reviews on the subject; all of which were positive.

Polaroid Spectra System

9 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

I'm sorry for enjoying my purchase I made 1 year ago after watching and reading about 10 reviews on the subject; all of which were positive.

But those were not from legitimate audiophile reviewers. And just because you enjoy something doesn't mean it was a good purchase. So if you paid $300,000 for a Civic, you might enjoy your purchase, but that doesn't change the fact that you should of bought a Lambo for the price.

But those were not from legitimate audiophile reviewers. And just because you enjoy something doesn't mean it was a good purchase. So if you payed $300,000 for a Civic, you might enjoy your purchase, but that doesn't change the fact that you should of bought a Lambo for the price.

You've linked 1 source.

Polaroid Spectra System

well this turned into an interesting turn lol get the m40x there fine i personally cant tell a huge difference between the 2.

and i know thats gonna stir the pot lol

4 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Sound guys are realtively accurate

The M50x are the best headphones but compared to the m40x they cost way too much

If you can wait a little bit I would get a DT880 and a amp

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA29P4GR6273&cm_re=Beyerdynamic_DT_880_Premium_All_Black_Limited_Edition-_-9SIA29P4GR6273-_-Product

My life

8 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

But those were not from legitimate audiophile reviewers. And just because you enjoy something doesn't mean it was a good purchase. So if you payed $300,000 for a Civic, you might enjoy your purchase, but that doesn't change the fact that you should of bought a Lambo for the price.

Thats very true. I struggle to get away from the "go buy a M50x comments." Despite having clearly stated I don't want thier sound signature.

Thanks for a decent review.

9 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

It is very hard to find real reviews of any product. I can go into more detail about this if you want. Once you do find decent reviewers, they are gold in comparison.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Just now, Himommies said:

in the m series

No they are not. M40Xs are. Even the M70Xs suffer from the same problems the M50Xs do, way too high highs that are fatiguing and a muddy sound.

7 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

payed

paid*

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

No they are not. M40Xs are. Even the M70Xs suffer from the same problems the M50Xs do, way too high highs that are fatiguing and a muddy sound.

the m50xs smooth out a lot during use.

still get a DT 880 though

My life