SLI Question regarding the 1070 and 1070TI

Vallgor

Hello, I was wondering why the 1070TI was created I feel like it will cut into the 1080 market and the 1070 market and would just kind of float there and be overlooked but I was wondering if SLI between the 1070Ti and the 1070 was possible. I'm not all that clued up on GPU's but I'd like someone to shed some light on this idea.

No, for SLI to work the GPU has to be the same exact chip(in this case either a 1070 or a 1070Ti) with the exact same VRAM amount.

We're all confused as to why the 1070Ti is a thing too haha.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

it would be like trying to do SLI with a 1080 and 1080 TI just wont work
yeah the 1070 TI coming out is stupid given how late it is but may be due to AMDs vaga cards.

it sucks coz im waiting to get 2 of the next get 1080s and with the 1070 TI coming out feels like it will be while before they release next gen cards.

Now I was giving this a bit of thought and do you think, given the price point of the card this could try and cut into the cryptocurrency mining boom? These cards come in cheaper and if nvidia was to offer a decent farming card undercutting the vega's it would take away from amd? I was looking at the card price and it seems to only be around £30 give or take on some sites and if it does have a big performance gain I can see it having a big appeal in farming rigs. We saw all the 980TI's get snatched up towards the end of the 900's era GPUs and I feel like it will follow the same flow since we are reaching the end of the cycle. No idea if these cards are efficient farmers so my post may now be pointless 

(P.S sorry for the super messy post, new here and posting in between PUBG games :)  ) 

The GTX 1070 Ti indeed is targeting into the AMD's RX 580 mining market, it is a GTX 1080 using the GDDR5 memory that provides superior performance on mining specific loads that didn't benefit from GDDR5X like games do.

Gaming and computing wise the GTX 1070 was competing fine enough against the RX Vega 54 and the GTX 1080 with the RX Vega 64, the only place nVidia was behind was here.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)