AMD CPU heats up when latching the lock on its cooler

I am working with an old AM2(+?) board with an Athlon 64 3800+, I have changed out the thermal paste on it as when I got my hands on it, the thermal paste that was already on it had hardened (was still paste like but made me uncomfortable) so I put on some MX-4 paste. I installed the heatsink and locked the latch and powered on the board, I then went into BIOS and checked the CPU temp and (after some time) the CPU had reached 61C (at one point was at 91C on a different boot), I (I cant remember why I did but I got results from it) then unlocked the latch and the only thing holding the heatsink down were the two mounting points at either side of the heatsink, when I unlocked the latch the temperature on the CPU immediatly dropped to 45C. I had also noticed that when it was locked, the heatsink didn't get very warm, it began to warm up a little more when I unlocked the latch. I am not sure why this is but it seems safe enough to leave it unlocked. But I would like to have an idea as to what could be causing the CPU to heat up when I lock the latch on the heatsink. Any thoughts?

Main system "Kethlon":

Core i7 3820 - Intel Desktop Board DX79TO - 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM Dual channel - EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SSC - EVGA 550 B3 - PNY 120GB SSD (boot),WD Blue 1TB (Mass Storage)

See profile for full specs

Primary Laptop "Vengeance":

HP HDX16 1370US - Intel Core2Duo P8700 - 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM Samsung - HGST 1TB 7200RPM (Windows 7, Linux, MacOS 10.11.6) - Nvidia GT 130M 1GB DDR2

Downed Laptop "Xarasky":

MacBookPro3,1 - Core2Duo T7700 - 4GB DDR2 RAM 667MHz - Nvidia 8600M GT 256MB VRAM - 640GB HDD (MacOS and Windows)

Testing laptop #1 "Leonard":

HP 15 F387WM - AMD A8 7410 APU - 8GB DDR3 Samsung RAM 1600MHz - AMD Radeon R5 graphics (1GB VRAM partitioned out of physical RAM) - 500GB WD Blue mobile drive