graphics card durability

heimdali

What is your experience with the durability of graphics cards?  Does it take longer for founders editions to fail than it takes for other versions?

1 minute ago, heimdali said:

What is your experience with the durability of graphics cards?  Does it take longer for founders editions to fail than it takes for other versions?

I learned that copper heat sinks falling off an M.2 SSD can kill a 1050 Ti yesterday.

ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

1 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Red Led

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
250 GB SanDisk 850 EVO - Elementary OS, Windows 10, Debian

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
240 GB SanDisk - Windows 10, Linux Mint

That might not happen with a founders edition unless the heatsinks fall into its fan?

Components running at lower temperatures and voltages tend to last longer in the long run, so if a video card is using a reference PCB and a custom cooler that allows everything to run cooler, it should last longer than a total reference design under the same conditions.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

4 minutes ago, heimdali said:

That might not happen with a founders edition unless the heatsinks fall into its fan?

It fell on the back of the PCB (I think that's what its called) and it has no backplate.

ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

1 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Red Led

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
250 GB SanDisk 850 EVO - Elementary OS, Windows 10, Debian

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
240 GB SanDisk - Windows 10, Linux Mint

Hmmm, good point.  I haven´t thought of that at all.  Now I think I might want to do something with some fans or something ...

1 minute ago, TurbulentWinds said:

It fell on the back of the PCB (I think that's what its called) and it has no backplate.

Right, and the FEs are like in a closed case ...

12 minutes ago, TurbulentWinds said:

I learned that copper heat sinks falling off an M.2 SSD can kill a 1050 Ti yesterday.

rest in peace

4 minutes ago, TurbulentWinds said:

I imagine the card shorted out and/or something was physically damaged on the card. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I have a working gtx 460, its old. As for founders editions, they will last as long as any other card, if anything they might die first (because they run so darn hot).

Performance doesn't really degrade, Linus did a video where they got a quite old card new in box, tested it with an identical card they abused the hell out of over the years and they performed within margin of error of each other

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

The graphics card of my dell laptop went out of order due to overheating :|

1 hour ago, Cyracus said:

Performance doesn't really degrade, Linus did a video where they got a quite old card new in box, tested it with an identical card they abused the hell out of over the years and they performed within margin of error of each other

Oh I´ve seen it, and I would have been surprised if the performace would have degraded over time.

I have 4 or 5 cards broken over time, most of them lasting about three years, so last time I got a founders edition, hoping it might last longer.  Time will tell if that was a good idea or if it doesn´t make a difference.

When there´s some agreement that better cooling is likely to make it last longer, I need to figure out how to do that.  It´s not so easily done with the machine the card is in.

Usually they’ll last longer than you’ll use them for, unless you’re doing crazy over clocking. In general the only variation in lifespan a different cooler will give you is that one fan might last longer. If anything the FE cards will die sooner because they run hotter 

That's an F in the profile pic

They didn´t last longer than I´d have used them.  That´s why I´m wondering what might last longer, or how to make them last longer.  I didn´t overclock any of them.