Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

xeon vs i5

HI, I am on a tight budget and I want to build my self a great computer for gaming, video editing, streaming, and music producing. Although, my main use for it would be gaming. I was thinking of a xeon e5 1650 v2 for 150$ cad with an intel x79 board. My other option with a i5 8600k would be 1850$ cad and the xeon 1400$ cad. is the extra 400$ worth it? and could I overclock with the intel board? thanks guys!

Get the Core i5-8600K and a Z370 motherboard, that'll allow you to overclock it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // PSU Tier List // Bugs and Issues // Join Floatplane! // Join the LTT Official Discord //

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Get the Core i5-8600K and a Z370 motherboard, that'll allow you to overclock it.

I know that but that is 400$ more. 

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

The i5 8600k will be better for games and you can OC it, the Xeon will be better for multi-threaded tasks but you cannot OC it.

even if I get a x79 board?

Just now, brebis123 said:

even if I get a x79 board?

Even if you get X79, Xeons are locked, the only way to OC is with BCLK which is not worth it.

8 minutes ago, brebis123 said:

how good of an overclock could you get with BCLK

5% if you are lucky

You could try to get a used ML350 or a workstation with x5690s.

Why does everyone think they need to overclock?

shit ok... so you are saying that I would be better off with i5 8600k?

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

5% if you are lucky

I only get 3% on mine, no matter what I try :( Not really worth the effort with such a small gain in the first place.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Saying you can manage a 5% overclock with a "Xeon" via base clock is a bit odd... Also saying "Xeons are locked" is very broad. There are locked Xeons, just as there are locked i5's and i7's. However, this is not an absolute. I'm running a Xeon X5680, the default and maximum cpu multiplier is 26 (so I suppose even though it is in fact changeable, I can see where most people would think it is locked). I managed a 25%ish overclock modifying only the baseclock to reach 4.3GHz on this chip, with a $20 cooler, temperature currently being my only limitation. 

If we go back a little older, with the 5400 series (5470 specifically), the default multiplier was 10, but could be raised up to (I believe) 12 or 15. (I can boot up my old rig for confirmation if need be). 

Now I know that these points may not bear relevancy to the conversation, but I sensed an ambiance of potential ignorance, and I wanted to provide a bit more info for those who care to read up on it. The past few gaming builds I've done have been with Xeons, and its a fun route to go. An X5680 for example can be found for around $50, and will net you comparable performance to a Sky Lake or Kaby Lake in single threads (once overclocked), but give you 2 more cores. 

But back to the discussion, I looked at building an LGA 2011 based rig, and they just are not worth it right now. While the 1650 is a bad ass CPU, there are much better options of the Xeon variety out there right now.