Safe percentage load for psu

jerry22

Hi guys,

I have a doubt about power supply units and maybe you guys can help me;

What is the safe percentage load of a psu? I need to do some operations with my pc and I will keep it on 24/7...what is a safe percentage load to avoid the psu from catching fire or drastically reduce its lifespan or other bad things happening?

I own a corsair cx550m 80 plus bronze and I want to add new components to my pc...

Also, in your opinion, which are the top 3 brands for psu?

Thanks 

Regards

Anything below the continuous rating of your PSU, so below 550w. Don't worry if you are using a reputable PSU brand.

its always a good idea to have some headroom. lets say your running 435 watts worth of components through a 450 watt PSU. Adding more to the load in the future can potentially run you into your limit and can also limit if you want or can even push your parts further like overclocking. Personally id go with at least 100W over what your pc says it can pull, but as @jeff.proto-_- said, if its a good PSU, it should be fine up to its rated wattage.

As long as you're not overloading the power supply, you will be fine. A good unit can run at 100% load, 24/7. Some manufacturers even advertise it... though it's a good idea to have "some" headroom.

There are no "top three brands". Each company has good and bad units.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Up to 90% I'm pretty comftable about the PSU not blowing up. But some PSUs get's pretty loud when under such high loads. Also you need to ensure you don't have pwer spIkes above 100%.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

57 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Up to 90% I'm pretty comftable about the PSU not blowing up. But some PSUs get's pretty loud when under such high loads. Also you need to ensure you don't have pwer spIkes above 100%.

If you meant Voltage spikes, I hope you run your power through a good UPS with Surge protection before connecting to the PSU. That would take care of spikes. In my case, the power runs through an inverter(backup) then to a UPS before finally reaching the PSU.