Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i7-6800k temperatures not really changed after going custom water cooling loop

Hello dear fellows!

At the begin of year I started my first X99 build with i7-6800k, and I've been very happy with it so far. Basically I was running EVGA FTW GTX1080 and i7-6800k, all with stocks clocks, and CPU cooled with Corsair Cooling Hydro H90, and everything packed in Fractal Define R5 case.

Couple weeks ago I started to think, if I'd step up, and build by first custom water cooling loop for PC, so I sat down and placed order for EK. Ordered two 120x240 radiators, CPU block and GPU block for my build. Yesterday I finished my build, so it's time to go and test how new cooling solution performs.

I have to say, I'm really happy with GPU results, but CPU, oh boy... I've installed radiators in the way that front radiator gets fresh air in, and fans are pushing cool air through radiators in the case. Second radiator is installed to top of case, in the way that fans pull in case air through radiator out of case.

But yeah, my temp results before and after the upgrade.

Before temperatures:

Ambient: 24,5 C

Idle CPU: 37 C

Load CPU: 66 C

Idle GPU: 58 C

Load GPU: 82 C

With new custom loop:

Ambient: 23,5 C

Idle CPU: 40 C

Load CPU: 60 C

Idle GPU: 45 C

Load GPU: 67 C

I honestly wonder, is i7-6800K just so damn hot chip, that block just can't cool it fast enough event with water, or am I maybe doing something wrong?

I've reservoir/pump combination, and I filled system with about 0,8L of EK CRYOFUEL coolant, tilted case in the way that system should be pretty much air free.

Any help and comments would be really appreciated! Like I said, this is my first custom water cooling loop, so I've really no idea what I should be expecting as results.

Temperatures look fine to me, maybe a tad higher on idle than I would've expected as well, but nothing to worry about. Remember you're cooling  6 cores :)  (others may know more though). If you want to be sure, put it through a stress test (e.g. Asus RealBench or something) and see what the temperatures are then. The real improvement should come from load temperatures. What is your "Load" scenario you listed?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

You dropped 5*C on CPU in load and 15*C on GPU, soo...

I have the Fractal Define R4 which has a very similar layout and I can assure you that this case has very restricted airflow by default, which luckily, can be greatly improved. I am quite sure that your radiators are not receiving enough air.

Remove the front mesh from the front that is covering the air filters, install intake fan on the bottom, that will greatly improve airflow.

In my case, it improved temps by 10*C and that's on air cooling.

EDIT:

looking at the pictures, the R5 has a lot better mesh at the front than the R4, less restrictive, still, air intake on the bottom helps significantly.

c73ba870-6bb5-4931-acbd-fbd482593dac

003_062216.jpg

2 hours ago, tikker said:

Temperatures look fine to me, maybe a tad higher on idle than I would've expected as well, but nothing to worry about. Remember you're cooling  6 cores :)  (others may know more though). If you want to be sure, put it through a stress test (e.g. Asus RealBench or something) and see what the temperatures are then. The real improvement should come from load temperatures. What is your "Load" scenario you listed?

Thanks for comments.

My "Load"-scenario is on CPU Aida64 stress test run around 40 minutes, and GPU stress test with FurMark.

I'm actually really happy with GPU results, especially that looks like I don't have to run 120mm EK-Vardar EVO's more than ~500-600rpm to keep temps where I said them to be. Maybe only solution would be to bump up the fan curves, to start cool more agressively when going above maybe 50 degrees...?

4 hours ago, Maastonakki said:

Thanks for comments.

My "Load"-scenario is on CPU Aida64 stress test run around 40 minutes, and GPU stress test with FurMark.

I'm actually really happy with GPU results, especially that looks like I don't have to run 120mm EK-Vardar EVO's more than ~500-600rpm to keep temps where I said them to be. Maybe only solution would be to bump up the fan curves, to start cool more agressively when going above maybe 50 degrees...?

That seems load enough :P You have a significant drop in GPU temps, so the loop is definitely working. Play around with the fan speeds until you have an acceptable noise/performance balance I'd say.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB