Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hp stream 11

So I have been finding used hp stream 11’s online for about $100. I’m looking for a laptop for school and it needs to be small and portable. This seams like a good bet. It would be amazing if this laptop could run robocraft in any capacity but that’s not necessary. So ya is the hp stream 11-r014wm a good laptop? Thanks!!

It's definitely small and portable, but it's not that powerful. It should run the game, but not very well. 

It's good for the price, build quality is very good for a plastic laptop (it's just as sturdy as any premium laptop, but it IS still plastic so it doesn't look or feel premium in any way). If you're looking to save money and don't need anything fancy, it's a great option. 

The main drawback of the Stream over more expensive laptops is performance (not a very powerful CPU, and not much memory) and maybe the display (it's not a great panel, a bit washed out, but it's usable).

It's more comparable to a Chromebook but with Windows. It's best at web browsing, but it can run full versions of MS Office and other desktop software if you need it to. 

The internal drive is usually small but I'm fairly certain it's upgradable (with any m.2 SSD) if you absolutely need more internal space. RAM may be upgradable (I'd have to check), so you could add more, although the cost of SSD/RAM would be getting pretty close to the cost of the whole laptop if you're getting it for $100. 

I think it has microSD as well, which you can find pretty cheap cards for nowadays, plus the standard USB, HDMI ports.

2 minutes ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

It's definitely small and portable, but it's not that powerful. It should run the game, but not very well. 

It's good for the price, build quality is very good for a plastic laptop (it's just as sturdy as any premium laptop, but it IS still plastic so it doesn't look or feel premium in any way). If you're looking to save money and don't need anything fancy, it's a great option. 

The main drawback of the Stream over more expensive laptops is performance (not a very powerful CPU, and not much memory) and maybe the display (it's not a great panel, a bit washed out, but it's usable).

It's more comparable to a Chromebook but with Windows. It's best at web browsing, but it can run full versions of MS Office and other desktop software if you need it to. 

The internal drive is usually small but I'm fairly certain it's upgradable (with any m.2 SSD) if you absolutely need more internal space. RAM may be upgradable (I'd have to check), so you could add more, although the cost of SSD/RAM would be getting pretty close to the cost of the whole laptop if you're getting it for $100. 

I think it has microSD as well, which you can find pretty cheap cards for nowadays, plus the standard USB, HDMI ports.

Ok. I mean are. Ere any used or new laptops around that price point that would be better? Thanks! 

Well I don't really know much about buying laptops, I've just played around with the Stream a bit. For a laptop that's $200 new, it's very good IMO, really the only thing separating it from other laptops is the performance (if you have more than a few webpages/apps open, it starts to slow down).

So I can't comment on what other laptops are gonna be like. But I really don't think you'll get anything better without spending at least $300+. Maybe used laptops you could find a really good deal, but you'd have to look and probably get lucky. 

At $100-200 they're all gonna have cheap CPUs and displays. You're not getting anything significantly better with other brands, and this is the only HP model that's $200 new (probably like ~$320 new if you want something noticeably better, see link below). Build quality is fairly consistent across HP's lineup though, that's one area that they don't cheap out on (can't comment on other brands, no experience with them).

So yeah, if you're set on keeping the cost ~$100-200, the Stream is probably as good as it gets. It's a nice compact system, doesn't feel cheap, but if you do a lot of multitasking it might struggle with that. 

I don't know how much used laptops go for, but if you see something like this that's within your price range, it'd be a pretty significant step up from the Stream. It's got a much better processor and more memory and storage, so it'll be better performance-wise. Also bigger though.