Using SO-DIMM to DIMM adapters

So yesterday I broke a 4GB stick of RAM trying to learn how to swap coolers attatched with adhesive, not my smartest move given the current ram prices. I'm now hurting given that I'm down to 4GB of memory that I can use.

Anyway, I have plenty DDR3 SO-DIMM memory lying around and I know SO-DIMM to DIMM adapters are a thing so I was wondering, would it be wise to utilize an adapter to use laptop RAM with a desktop motherboard, or am I better off just buying a new kit of memory?

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

what the heck, RAM is RAM, might as well do it, right?

Also I'm curious to see if this would work myself

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

i think ul end up with compatibility issues on a laptop from sodimm to dimm :v compatibility is a huge thing with ram

ur better off buying a new kit of ram really in this case , because even if u can get dimm to work on a sodimm slot the latencies would be off, and a laptop usually cant set these, so pretty much its a recipe for disaster

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

i think ul end up with compatibility issues on a laptop from sodimm to dimm :v compatibility is a huge thing with ram

ur better off buying a new kit of ram really in this case , because even if u can get dimm to work on a sodimm slot the latencies would be off, and a laptop usually cant set these, so pretty much its a recipe for disaster

I'm not trying to plug desktop RAM into a laptop, I want to do it the other way around.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

Just now, UnbrokenMotion said:

I'm not trying to plug desktop RAM into a laptop, I want to do it the other way around.

yeah its the same story with compatibility issues there :v that issue is vice versa

i think sodimm to dimm converters are for special ram kit testing tools, not for actual use hehe

(◑‿◐)