Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Want to change raid card

Nakruf

I bought a HP ProLiant DL380 G5 but it got a capacity of 2TB with the current raid card i believe. Is there a card i can change it with so i can place hard drives with more storage?

P410, with current firmware, would probably be the first to support >2TB.  Since you got a proliant, I´d go with an HP card (and a BBU) because it would make sense that using a smart array in an HP server is rather likely to work well.

LSI should be fine; a (LSI) card from Dell, with some likelyness, might not work at all.

30 minutes ago, heimdali said:

a (LSI) card from Dell, with some likelyness, might not work at all.

That shouldn't be an issue, I've put HP cards in to IBM servers without issue. The OEM cards are more branding than anything else, the only issue that might happen is any specific plugins in the bios setup to configure the RAID card without having to enter the actual RAID card BIOS. My IBM has that feature but it actually works on LSI cards too not just IBM OEM LSI.

Shouldn't and won't though are different, so yea go with an HP card.

Well, recently I had to return two Dell cards because they didn´t work at all, not in a Z800 and not in the board they were supposed to work in.  The two P410s I replaced them with do work in a Z800 and in the board they´re supposed to work in.  I´ve always been told that Dell likes to make incompatible hardware, so now that point was proven, hence I thought I better give a warning.

So I don´t know.  HP has made it difficult or impossible to get firmware updates, and Dell might be different.  That´s why I even tried the Dell cards and would like to deprecate HP, but when the Dell stuff doesn´t work, what can I do.  Particularly HP is easy to get at awesome prices here, and it works.  The only Dell hardware I can remember ever buying right away didn´t work.  I never got anything from HP that didn´t work.