Find results that contain...
Find results in...

High Temps Help - Corsair H115i

Specs:
Asus Maximus VIII Hero mobo
Intel i7-6700k, overclocked to 4.4, at 1.3 volts
EVGA GTX 1080 ftw, very mild overclock
32Gb ram, Gskill at 3200
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX case (maybe relevant)
EVGA Supernova G2 850 watt psu
Corsair H115i water cooler

The short version: I'm having cpu temperature problems, and have been for a long time. This chip is capable of overclocking as high as 4.7 and remaining stable, that's where I set it when I first built it, but I've turned it down, and down, and down, to try to get the temps under control. Now, at 4.4, the temps are still spiking over 90c when I run some games (Forza 7, most recently; even easy-to-run games like Overwatch get my cpu very hot, 80+). I guess what I'm really looking for is some help figuring out where, exactly, the problem is, so I only have to replace 1 component, and not the whole package.

Things I've tried:

1) I know this case has a reputation for somewhat bad airflow. I originally had my radiator mounted in the top, as an exhaust (fans blowing in 'push' from underneath), and I tried the fix of using electrical tape over the open section on the radiator bracket, to prevent hot air from recirculating into the case. Seemed to help a little at first, but my temperatures have been extremely high again.
2) Yesterday I took the whole thing apart and moved the radiator to the front of the case, and set it up as an intake (fans blowing in 'push' from the outside/front), so it would get only cool air from outside the case. I've also left the front completely off the case, so there are no obstructions at all to the airflow. I also cleaned off the cpu and plate, applied new thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5), and reseated it very firmly. I know it is making good contact, because the water temps in the radiator get pretty high, so the heat is transferring. Even after all this, I booted up Forza this morning, and before starting a race my cpu temps were hitting 90.

Temps at idle seem to be ok, right now they're sitting at around 30 or so, water temp at 30.

I guess I have the following questions, then:

1) Is my water cooler bad? Should I replace it with another of the same?
2) Is water cooling just not going to work in this case? Reviews of the case seem to say it works fine. But should I get an air cooler instead? I'd like to keep my overclocks up, I spent the money for it. Is there some other way I can set up or modify the case to get the temps fixed? The temps on my gpu always seem to be fine.
3) Is my cpu somehow bad? Is there a way to know if I just have a bad chip that heats up way too much? Is that a thing?
4) Is there anything else it could possibly be that I haven't thought of?

If there's any more information that would help you help me, let me know. And thanks very much to anyone who takes the time to read this and tries to help me out, it's much appreciated.

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

what kind of temps are you getting when the CPU is at stock speeds/voltages while playing?

using the corsairlink or other software to monitor temps (use only one).

Hey, thanks for the reply. I've just reset everything to stock: cpu frequency to auto, voltage control to auto. I left all my fan curves aggressive, front is still off the case. Playing some Overwatch for about an hour or so, and my temps are sitting most of the time in the 50s, spiking as high as 83 on all 4 cores, and water temps are sitting at 46. This is way too hot.

Is there any factor of the case that could account for this? Or is it more likely either the cooler or the cpu?

there should be a setting for the pump; set also to aggressive. if we still have coolant temps 5° above ambient, then the pump is not responding or the radiator is plugged up.

On 10/28/2017 at 3:34 PM, Elritus said:

Specs:
Asus Maximus VIII Hero mobo
Intel i7-6700k, overclocked to 4.4, at 1.3 volts
EVGA GTX 1080 ftw, very mild overclock
32Gb ram, Gskill at 3200
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX case (maybe relevant)
EVGA Supernova G2 850 watt psu
Corsair H115i water cooler

-snip-

- That case has a heat trap at the top, where the radiator bracket is. It's not properly vented up there. Watercooling is very possible in the case, You may not get the best temps.

- Increase the RPM's on the fans to see if there any kind of change.

- My first suggestion would be get some quality radiator fans, the packaged fans are ok but I would switch to something like ML Pro's.

- CPU is unlikely bad.

- Make sure the motor on pump is running properly. If I recall Corsair has three modes. Silent, Balance & performance. Try switching to performance for a bit just to see if the temperature decreases.

- Also check the room temperature. If your room temp is hot, your PC temps are going to run a bit hotter.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

Thanks for reply.

-Water pump is set to run 100%, in bios.

-Yeah, I know the top of the case is bad for venting, that's why I moved the rad to the front. Hasn't helped. Still, even assuming the case makes it a little harder to cool, I think these temps are tooooo high.

-RPMs on the fans are all turned up to max.

-I bought better fans (Phanteks) way back when I first got the cooler, so that is already done.

-Pump is set (in Corsair Link) to performance, always is.

-Room temp is high-ish, about 24-27c. Probably not high enough to account for these temps.

I guess it has to be a faulty aio unit, right?

Well, minor update.
I am RMA'ing the cooler, just to be sure I have a functioning unit.
But now I'm thinking it might be an airflow issue that I failed to properly diagnose before. I had tried running the computer with the radiator on the front as an intake (that's still how it's set up), and I removed the front panel completely, but the temperatures were still high; very very high. I took the side panel off the other day, to try to get a photo of the cooler's lot sticker for the RMA, and left the side panel off after hooking everything back up. Now that I'm running with both the front and side panels off, my temperatures seem normal. I'm not positive of this, and I'm going to run some games tonight for a few hours. I also need to try putting the side panel on, and removing the top panel, to see what happens in that case.
Anyway, I'm not very good with understanding airflow, but it does seem like what must be happening is the hot air is getting trapped within the case, recirculating into the radiator, thus causing the high cpu and water temps. But I'm not sure how to fix it. I already have 3 exhaust fans: 1 rear, 2 top. So I don't understand exactly why the hot air is unable to escape. Should I switch the top fans from exhaust to intake? Should I remove them altogether, so the air is flowing only front-to-back? There must be a way to get the air flowing properly so I can put the side panel back on...

Any thoughts from those better versed in airflow than I? All help is much appreciated!