Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

best smartphone with mirco sd and removeable batteries

General Winter

i was thinking it was V20, especially if you were to get one of these for instance https://www.amazon.com/Battery-ZeroLemon-10000mAh-Extended-Protection/dp/B01MQFT3SP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508468871&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+v20+battery+10000+mah you'd piss on the battery life of these newer phones and have the added benefit of 64gb (internal) & 256gb mirco sd (i actually have 2, got em for $20 a pop and thats a lot of storage for a mobile device , so i don't wanna leave em to waste)

so with the V30 not having replaceable batteries, its in a mixed bag in my book because i'd really rather have both of those things and with the bigger price drop of the v20 when the v30 comes out, that gives me less reason to want it over the v20

however, i haven't done too much hw on other android phones, i think the v20 is the best in my two biggest concerns, however, if there is a better phone that has these 2 things, i would like to know and compare em iffanyone has any better suggestions

Go for the V20 while you can.

I'm also a believer in lasting products.

Buy a couple extra batteries, custom rom from XDA, and you're set for the next half decade.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

44 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Go for the V20 while you can.

I'm also a believer in lasting products.

Buy a couple extra batteries, custom rom from XDA, and you're set for the next half decade.

custom rom

whats that and how do i start?

i don't toy too much with my phone but when i do i'd like the liberty to do so

2 minutes ago, General Winter said:

custom rom

whats that and how do i start?

i don't toy too much with my phone but when i do i'd like the liberty to do so

Basically a modified/user compiled operating system (Android) to use instead of the one provided by the manufacturer.

Reason people go for it is to get rid of otherwise unavoidable bloat, add additional features, use a different native UI, security and version updates after end of support from manufacturer, extensive low level performance and battery life enhancements. Also some custom roms are pre-rooted, for people who absolutely need root apps.

There is no convenient 'one click installer' to set up a custom rom on your phone. The process is complicated and mistake and oversights can result in a bricked device. Manufacturers actively get in the way and make installation of non-official firmware/OS difficult because they want to force their bloat on you, force you to buy their new phones in order to get security updates and newer versions of Android.

You can get a custom rom from the V20 section of XDA. Keep in mind there are several versions of the V20 and you need a rom that explicitly supports your version else your device will brick. There are many available and each has their own quirks and special features. Be sure to read at least the last few pages of posts in the rom thread to be aware of important stuff related to the latest releases. Also to follow the OP's installation instructions down to the word. I've never owned a V20 so please don't ask me for installation instructions.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Basically a modified/user compiled operating system (Android) to use instead of the one provided by the manufacturer.

Reason people go for it is to get rid of otherwise unavoidable bloat, add additional features, use a different native UI, security and version updates after end of support from manufacturer, extensive low level performance and battery life enhancements. Also some custom roms are pre-rooted, for people who absolutely need root apps.

There is no convenient 'one click installer' to set up a custom rom on your phone. The process is complicated and mistake and oversights can result in a bricked device. Manufacturers actively get in the way and make installation of non-official firmware/OS difficult because they want to force their bloat on you, force you to buy their new phones in order to get security updates and newer versions of Android.

You can get a custom rom from the V20 section of XDA. Keep in mind there are several versions of the V20 and you need a rom that explicitly supports your version else your device will brick. There are many available and each has their own quirks and special features. Be sure to read at least the last few pages of posts in the rom thread to be aware of important stuff related to the latest releases. Also to follow the OP's installation instructions down to the word. I've never owned a V20 so please don't ask me for installation instructions.

you don't know, could you point me to somewhere or someone who has done it before so i could ask them if i have any questions on the process

3 minutes ago, General Winter said:

you don't know, could you point me to somewhere or someone who has done it before so i could ask them if i have any questions on the process

Best place to ask is in the XDA rom thread itself, for the rom you chose to install. Thing is, installation steps can very even between roms for the same version of the phone. If you need or expect a designated person to hold your hand through the process, I'd say you're not yet ready to delve into phone modding. The first time will always be daunting for fear of making a mistake. But you'll quickly get the hang of it.

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Best place to ask is in the XDA rom thread itself, for the rom you chose to install. Thing is, installation steps can very even between roms for the same version of the phone. If you need or expect a designated person to hold your hand through the process, I'd say you're not yet ready to delve into phone modding. The first time will always be daunting for fear of making a mistake. But you'll quickly get the hang of it.

From my own experience, even with following the steps to a T, success is not a guarantee. Assume that every step carries the risk of bricking your device. (In my case, that occurred while installing GAPPS).

Note however that I refer to soft bricking. Fixing a soft brick is not insurmountable, though you will probably be swearing a lot as you frantically search through XDA to find a solution and move forward again.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

From my own experience, even with following the steps to a T, success is not a guarantee. Assume that every step carries the risk of bricking your device. (In my case, that occurred while installing GAPPS).

Note however that I refer to soft bricking. Fixing a soft brick is not insurmountable, though you will probably be swearing a lot as you frantically search through XDA to find a solution and move forward again.

what the hell do i even get out of this other than improve performance by removing bloatware; seems like a lot of risk for little reward

im fine with my v10 performance as is, however its wearing out and its got some cracks; if it has the durability of a Nokia i would have no (major) reason to move on

20 minutes ago, General Winter said:

what the hell do i even get out of this other than improve performance by removing bloatware; seems like a lot of risk for little reward

im fine with my v10 performance as is, however its wearing out and its got some cracks; if it has the durability of a Nokia i would have no (major) reason to move on

well, you also lose the ability to use certain DRM protected apps like Netflix without use of a workaround.

Updates and access to the latest updates to Android are some of the bigger draws to a Custom ROM. One particularly extreme example would be the Galaxy S3 being able to run a ROM based on Android Nougat.

My eyes see the past…

6 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

well, you also lose the ability to use certain DRM protected apps like Netflix without use of a workaround.

Updates and access to the latest updates to Android are some of the bigger draws to a Custom ROM. One particularly extreme example would be the Galaxy S3 being able to run a ROM based on Android Nougat.

do you mean i could run an OS that isn't officially support

i could try that with my K1 tablet since nvedia decided to abandon it (and thus it isn't getting oreo despite being capable to)

15 minutes ago, General Winter said:

do you mean i could run an OS that isn't officially support

i could try that with my K1 tablet since nvedia decided to abandon it (and thus it isn't getting oreo despite being capable to)

In a sense, with the case of a Custom ROM, support is essentially moved to individuals within the community that choose to support it. Usually, well known flagship devices can be supported by the community via custom roms long after the OEM abandons it. There are some outliers as well that get support, such as my LeEco Le Pro 3.

The Shield Tablet also has some ROMs available as well, though it might take some time for developers to move to Oreo. It looks to be that the bootloader here is readily unlockable, in which case makes flashing far easier. In some devices, just unlocking the bootloader is half the battle. ;)

My eyes see the past…