First PC build, budget changed, need help again

evidently i should wait at least a day before posting to forums, the case didn't fall through in the end, i was just impatient. :/

going to be getting the system suggested by Herman Mcpootis (minus the case and ssd) which brings it to a reasonable price point for me.

thanks for all the help everyone!

Edited by TheShellFace

4 minutes ago, TheShellFace said:

Hey there, so this will be my first build (as well as first post here) and i don't necessarily have the best knowledge of PC's, so sorry if any of my questions are stupid! this is what i currently have picked out, some of the stuff is probably more than i need, and there's probably better alternatives to some of it as well,

0.The Parts

pcpartpicker list: First Build

CPU: R3 1300X (would the performance difference be worth the price to go for a R5 1500X?)

Heatsink: Stock

Video Card: GTX 1060 6GB

MotherBoard: MSI-B350 PC Mate (is this a worthwhile board?)

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2x4GB) (is this good RAM? I plan to upgrade to 16GB later)

HDD: Seagate 1TB

SSD: pny CS1311 120GB (is this a good SSD?)

Power Supply: Seasonic evo edition 620 Watts (is this way more than needed?)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST

Case: would love recommendations on cases that are around or under $40, just encase the free one i have planned doesn’t work out.

1. Budget & Location

don't have a solid price, just hoping to stay under $1000 (CAD) but even that is a flexible price. also worth noting i’m not including the peripherals and OS in this budget.

2. Aim

though the main use for the computer will be gaming, i'm looking for it to be pretty well rounded, as i'll also be doing some hobby graphic design, video editing, 3d modelling, etc

I’ll be playing a wide variety of games but mainly things like Fallout 4, Shadow of War, Ark Survival, etc. (i’m not looking for all those games to run at highest graphics settings though)

oh, and i don't have any plans to do overclocking.

3. Monitors

for the first while i'll just be using one monitor, but i’m hoping to upgrade to two monitors later on. don't have a monitor yet though, so I would love some recommendations on good 1920x1080 monitors around $100

4. Peripherals

Already have headphones/speakers, and just plan to get a cheap mouse/keyboard for starters

5. Why are you upgrading?

previous PC was a shared one, and now that i have the money i decided to get/build my own

thanks for any help, and sorry if i missed any important information!

Get the ryzen 5 1200 and oc it, don't but msi mobos, my ASrock ab350 pro4 is doing a great job, unless you choose ryzen5 1600, dont pick any of the others instead of r3 1200, buy a faster memory kit -3000mhz to be precise. Also get a WD Blue 1tb HDD since my seagate 1tb was around 100% usage in all tasks until i changed all the sata ports on the mb -the 5th one was the best but is slower than the others :(

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC 3,7ghz
  • Motherboard
    ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM
    A-Data 2666mhz upgraded to Corsair LPX 2x8gb 3000mhz
  • GPU
    GTX 1060 6gb
  • Case
    Segotep Chariot TF
  • Storage
    1TB HDD, 240gb M.2 Intel NVMe SSD
  • PSU
    Evga 600w B+
  • Display(s)
    Samsung Full HD 24' Free sync
  • Cooling
    3x 120mm case fans
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder Elite
  • Sound
    Razer Kraken Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

10 minutes ago, TheShellFace said:

Hey there, so this will be my first build (as well as first post here) and i don't necessarily have the best knowledge of PC's, so sorry if any of my questions are stupid! this is what i currently have picked out, some of the stuff is probably more than i need, and there's probably better alternatives to some of it as well,

0.The Parts

pcpartpicker list: First Build

CPU: R3 1300X (would the performance difference be worth the price to go for a R5 1500X?)

Heatsink: Stock

Video Card: GTX 1060 6GB

MotherBoard: MSI-B350 PC Mate (is this a worthwhile board?)

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2x4GB) (is this good RAM? I plan to upgrade to 16GB later)

HDD: Seagate 1TB

SSD: pny CS1311 120GB (is this a good SSD?)

Power Supply: Seasonic evo edition 620 Watts (is this way more than needed?)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST

Case: would love recommendations on cases that are around or under $40, just encase the free one i have planned doesn’t work out.

1. Budget & Location

don't have a solid price, just hoping to stay under $1000 (CAD) but even that is a flexible price. also worth noting i’m not including the peripherals and OS in this budget.

2. Aim

though the main use for the computer will be gaming, i'm looking for it to be pretty well rounded, as i'll also be doing some hobby graphic design, video editing, 3d modelling, etc

I’ll be playing a wide variety of games but mainly things like Fallout 4, Shadow of War, Ark Survival, etc. (i’m not looking for all those games to run at highest graphics settings though)

oh, and i don't have any plans to do overclocking.

3. Monitors

for the first while i'll just be using one monitor, but i’m hoping to upgrade to two monitors later on. don't have a monitor yet though, so I would love some recommendations on good 1920x1080 monitors around $100

4. Peripherals

Already have headphones/speakers, and just plan to get a cheap mouse/keyboard for starters

5. Why are you upgrading?

previous PC was a shared one, and now that i have the money i decided to get/build my own

thanks for any help, and sorry if i missed any important information!

Get the 3gb version instead of the 6gb version for the 1060 ... the performance is almost the same ... if the games requires more than 3gb of vram youll likely wanna change your card anyway ! Just my 2 cents

Server 1 PC                                                   Server 2 PC                                               GEAR

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700                                                   CPU: Athlon 200GE                                               Keyboard: Logitech G Pro Keyboard

Motherboard: Aorus AX-X370-K7                            Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H              Mouse: Logitech G900

CPU Cooler: Wraith Spire RGB                                CPU Cooler: Stock Cooler                                    Mousepad : Corsair MM300

Ram: Kingston 32GB 2666MHz                                Ram: Patriot Signature Line 8GB 2666MHz          Monitor: Acer XZ350CU Black 35" 21:9 144 Hz  

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti                              HDD: 1X WD Red 2TB                                           Headphones : Audio technica ATH-AD700X                          

HDD: 5X Seagate Barracuda 7.2k RPM 1TB            SSD: 1X128GB Samsung Evo                              Speakers: Logitech Z506 5.1

SSD: 2X512GB Samsung Evo                                  PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR 500 W1

PSU: HGC 850W Antec 80+ Bronze                         Case: Rosewill 2U Server Chassis

Case: Rosewill 4U Server Chassis           

2 minutes ago, Gpuprodamnn said:

Get the ryzen 5 1200 and oc it, don't but msi mobos, my ASrock ab350 pro4 is doing a great job, unless you choose ryzen5 1600, dont pick any of the others instead of r3 1200, buy a faster memory kit -3000mhz to be precise. Also get a WD Blue 1tb HDD since my seagate 1tb was around 100% usage in all tasks until i changed all the sata ports on the mb -the 5th one was the best but is slower than the others :(

I'd also reconsider the ssd. How about something with the M.2 standard? I have the baseline 960 evo and it works wonderfully for me. This would also pair well with the AB350 pro4, It has two m.2 slots. 

2 minutes ago, ethebigd said:

Get the 3gb version instead of the 6gb version for the 1060 ... the performance is almost the same ... if the games requires more than 3gb of vram youll likely wanna change your card anyway ! Just my 2 cents

dont do that, almost everygame nowadays uses more than 3gb vram. Also, who would want to buy a new graphics card every year unless ur linus.

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC 3,7ghz
  • Motherboard
    ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM
  • GPU
    GTX 1060 6gb
  • Case
    Segotep Chariot TF
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Evga 600w B+
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    3x 120mm case fans
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder Elite
  • Sound
    Razer Kraken Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

I'd also reconsider the ssd. How about something with the M.2 standard? I have the baseline 960 evo and it works wonderfully for me. This would also pair well with the AB350 pro4, It has two m.2 slots. 

Indeed, i'd recommend the 240gb M.2 NVMe SSD 2280 from any brand.

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC 3,7ghz
  • Motherboard
    ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM
  • GPU
    GTX 1060 6gb
  • Case
    Segotep Chariot TF
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Evga 600w B+
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    3x 120mm case fans
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder Elite
  • Sound
    Razer Kraken Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, Gpuprodamnn said:

dont do that, almost everygame nowadays uses more than 3gb vram. Also, who would want to buy a new graphics card every year unless ur linus.

Depends on what you want : either good looking game or high refresh rate... high refresh rate demands less VRAM since you will have to cranck settings down (textures amongs it)

Server 1 PC                                                   Server 2 PC                                               GEAR

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700                                                   CPU: Athlon 200GE                                               Keyboard: Logitech G Pro Keyboard

Motherboard: Aorus AX-X370-K7                            Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H              Mouse: Logitech G900

CPU Cooler: Wraith Spire RGB                                CPU Cooler: Stock Cooler                                    Mousepad : Corsair MM300

Ram: Kingston 32GB 2666MHz                                Ram: Patriot Signature Line 8GB 2666MHz          Monitor: Acer XZ350CU Black 35" 21:9 144 Hz  

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti                              HDD: 1X WD Red 2TB                                           Headphones : Audio technica ATH-AD700X                          

HDD: 5X Seagate Barracuda 7.2k RPM 1TB            SSD: 1X128GB Samsung Evo                              Speakers: Logitech Z506 5.1

SSD: 2X512GB Samsung Evo                                  PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR 500 W1

PSU: HGC 850W Antec 80+ Bronze                         Case: Rosewill 2U Server Chassis

Case: Rosewill 4U Server Chassis           

thanks for the reply everyone!

Hmm… I’ll have to think about the 3GB/6GB 1060 for a bit more, but i think i’ll probably stick with 6GB

1 hour ago, Gpuprodamnn said:

don't but msi mobos, my ASrock ab350 pro4 is doing a great job,

So this MOBO then? It was my original choice actually, https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/yBtWGX/asrock-ab350-pro4-atx-am4-motherboard-ab350-pro4

1 hour ago, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

Is this m.2 ssd good then? i have little knowledge of SSD’s, even less about m.2 type https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZNBrxr/samsung-960-evo-250gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v6e250

Also get a WD Blue 1tb HDD

Is this a good WD 1tb?https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/MwW9TW/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ezex

buy a faster memory kit -3000mhz to be precise.

any recommendations for specific 3000mhz kits?

Get the ryzen 5 1200 and oc it, don't but msi mobos unless you choose ryzen5 1600, dont pick any of the others instead of r3 1200

sorry, but which CPU are you recommending? R3 1200? i'm not really looking to overclock whatever i get...

2 minutes ago, TheShellFace said:

thanks for the reply everyone!

Hmm… I’ll have to think about the 3GB/6GB 1060 for a bit more, but i think i’ll probably stick with 6GB

So this MOBO then? It was my original choice actually, https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/yBtWGX/asrock-ab350-pro4-atx-am4-motherboard-ab350-pro4

Is this m.2 ssd good then? i have little knowledge of SSD’s, even less about m.2 type https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZNBrxr/samsung-960-evo-250gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v6e250

Is this a good WD 1tb?https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/MwW9TW/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ezex

any recommendations for specific 3000mhz kits?

sorry, but which CPU are you recommending? R3 1200? i'm not really looking to overclock whatever i get...

Awesome choices, is the ryzen 5 1600 too expensive for your build? If yes forget about the ssd and get the ryzen 5 1600. As for the kit i’d Look at Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb 2x8 3000mhz. But any kits that are present in ryzen’s page for compatible kits will work just get a faster kit as it will improve ur speed by 15-20%

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC 3,7ghz
  • Motherboard
    ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM
  • GPU
    GTX 1060 6gb
  • Case
    Segotep Chariot TF
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Evga 600w B+
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    3x 120mm case fans
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder Elite
  • Sound
    Razer Kraken Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

30 minutes ago, Gpuprodamnn said:

is the ryzen 5 1600 too expensive for your build? If yes forget about the ssd and get the ryzen 5 1600.

hmm... puts it a little over what i want to pay, but i do want a good ssd as well... i'll have to think about that one

30 minutes ago, Gpuprodamnn said:

As for the kit i’d Look at Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb 2x8 3000mhz.

going with 8GB for now and upgrading to 16GB later, is a 2x4GB set or 1x8GB set better?

Just now, TheShellFace said:

hmm... puts it a little over what i want to pay, but i do want a good ssd as well... i'll have to think about that one

going with 8GB for now and upgrading to 16GB later, is a 2x4GB set or 1x8GB set better?

2x4GB. But don’t pair a gtx 1060 6gb with that cpu unless ur going to oc since it will be bottlenecked

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC 3,7ghz
  • Motherboard
    ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM
  • GPU
    GTX 1060 6gb
  • Case
    Segotep Chariot TF
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Evga 600w B+
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    3x 120mm case fans
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder Elite
  • Sound
    Razer Kraken Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

But don’t pair a gtx 1060 6gb with that cpu unless ur going to oc since it will be bottlenecked

hmm... in that case, would you recommend changing the GPU or the CPU?

okay, so looking at it again, budget won't be as flexible as i thought, and i'll be needing to bring my total down to around $950 CAD (current total is $1168)

definitely going to be looking for a cheaper SSD, what's a good one under/around $100?

i'm thinking i'll go for a lower tier GPU as well, is the gtx 1050 ti 4GB worth it?  https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/wrmxFT/evga-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-acx-20-video-card-04g-p4-6251-kr

and what would be a good lower tier CPU to pair with that 1050 ti?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($259.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.50 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Toshiba - 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 4GB Dual Video Card  ($314.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: Rosewill - SRM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Other: Silicon Power Slim S55 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $952.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-28 20:56 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

On 10/28/2017 at 6:56 PM, herman mcpootis said:

Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Toshiba - 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Other: Silicon Power Slim S55 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Newegg Canada) 

thanks so much for this list! gave me a pretty good idea of what to actually go off of, rather than my original list which was really just me guessing what was good or what i needed. i've got all the guts of my rig picked out now, i'm just waiting on confirmation about a case, but i should be good to go if that all works out.

thanks for the help everyone!

On 29/10/2017 at 1:56 AM, herman mcpootis said:

Pretty good, just throw there a SSD and will be perfect.

13 minutes ago, lukart said:

Pretty good, just throw there a SSD and will be perfect.

the S55 is an ssd

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

@herman mcpootis

Can that mobo, AB350M,last 3 years with overclocking?

so, my budget changed again, actually need/want to be at $600 CAD now...

On 10/28/2017 at 6:56 PM, herman mcpootis said:

just curious, but was this list auto generated or did you pick out the parts yourself?

1 minute ago, TheShellFace said:

so, my budget changed again, actually need/want to be at $600 CAD now...

just curious, but was this list auto generated or did you pick out the parts yourself?

picked it myself.