CPU running hot? Need some advice (i7-8700k)

(Update in last comment)

Hey guys, going to try to be as detailed as possible :)

So I recently finished my new build (specs at bottom) and have noticed my CPU (i7-8700k) temps seem to be abnormally high with my CoolerMaster MasterAir Pro 4. For context, the CPU idles at 38-40C and gets to 80-85C in games like CSGO. In the more intensive games like R6:Siege, it even hits the low 90's and occasionally thermal throttles (not the whole time, just 1 spike every couple minutes). The room I'm in is not abnormally hot (~24C) and the 2 fans on the CPU are set to auto RPM (I hear them kick up when under load). The strange thing is, when I use the 100% CPU utilization stress test in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (picture 1) the temps simply oscillate in a healthy range and I can hear the fan RPM's go up and down with it. In Prime95 blend it hovers at 74C (acceptable imo) no throttling (picture 2). In Prime95 temp test, CPU instantly hits 100C and throttles the whole time at max 4.35GHz (vs 4.72 idle). I don't think it's a case airflow issue, as my GPU stays at a nice 60-70C no matter what I throw at it (idle 36).

My guess: Maybe I messed up in the process of dropping the CPU cooler down onto the thermal paste (I didn't notice it being too bad, but I suppose it's possible). That or maybe with a single tower air cooler it's normal to experience throttling on super intensive games?

Is it the single tower cooler doing the best it can, or does it seem from the performance that I've done something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5

2 Noctua NF-A14 FLX in front (push), 1 pull on rear of top of case, 1 pull on top of back of case (mobo exhaust)

i7-8700k (stock speeds)

CoolerMaster MasterAir Pro 4 w/ 2 Noctua NF-F12 PWM (push/pull)

Arctic MX-4 paste

ASUS Prime Z370-A

Corsair LPX 2x8GB

Corsair HX750

ASUS 1080ti OC

Capture.PNG

2.PNG

2 minutes ago, TheCoconutCookie said:

So I recently finished my new build (specs at bottom) and have noticed my CPU (i7-8700k) temps seem to be abnormally high with my CoolerMaster MasterAir Pro 4. For context, the CPU idles at 38-40C and gets to 80-85C in games like CSGO. In the more intensive games like R6:Siege, it even hits the low 90's and occasionally thermal throttles (not the whole time, just 1 spike every couple minutes). The room I'm in is not abnormally hot (~24C) and the 2 fans on the CPU are set to auto RPM (I hear them kick up when under load). The strange thing is, when I use the 100% CPU utilization stress test in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (picture 1) the temps simply oscillate in a healthy range and I can hear the fan RPM's go up and down with it. In Prime95 blend it hovers at 74C (acceptable imo) no throttling (picture 2). In Prime95 temp test, CPU instantly hits 100C and throttles the whole time at max 4.35GHz (vs 4.72 idle). I don't think it's a case airflow issue, as my GPU stays at a nice 60-70C no matter what I throw at it (idle 36).

My guess: Maybe I messed up in the process of dropping the CPU cooler down onto the thermal paste (I didn't notice it being too bad, but I suppose it's possible). That or maybe with a single tower air cooler it's normal to experience throttling on super intensive games?

Is it the single tower cooler doing the best it can, or does it seem from the performance that I've done something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5

2 Noctua NF-A14 FLX in front (push), 1 pull on rear of top of case, 1 pull on top of back of case (mobo exhaust)

i7-8700k (stock speeds)

Arctic MX-4 paste

ASUS Prime Z370-A

Corsair LPX 2x8GB

Corsair HX750

ASUS 1080ti OC

Capture.PNG

2.PNG

reapply thermal paste, you probably missed some spots, did u overclock it ?

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC 3,7ghz
  • Motherboard
    ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM
    A-Data 2666mhz upgraded to Corsair LPX 2x8gb 3000mhz
  • GPU
    GTX 1060 6gb
  • Case
    Segotep Chariot TF
  • Storage
    1TB HDD, 240gb M.2 Intel NVMe SSD
  • PSU
    Evga 600w B+
  • Display(s)
    Samsung Full HD 24' Free sync
  • Cooling
    3x 120mm case fans
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder Elite
  • Sound
    Razer Kraken Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

Is it really obviously a problem with cooling performance? And no, stock speeds.

5 minutes ago, TheCoconutCookie said:

Thanks in advance!

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5

i7-8700k (stock speeds)

Arctic MX-4 paste

ASUS Prime Z370-A

Corsair LPX 2x8GB

Corsair HX750

ASUS 1080ti OC

Capture.PNG

2.PNG

Also if my oc'ed ryzen 5 1600 with 1.32500V doesnt reach that temp in 60 min of Aida64 with stock cooler(about 65 degrees AT MAX) something is probably not right

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC 3,7ghz
  • Motherboard
    ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM
  • GPU
    GTX 1060 6gb
  • Case
    Segotep Chariot TF
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Evga 600w B+
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    3x 120mm case fans
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder Elite
  • Sound
    Razer Kraken Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

re seat the cooler and see if that helps first of all

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Gpuprodamnn said:

Also if my oc'ed ryzen 5 1600 with 1.32500V doesnt reach that temp in 60 min of Aida64 with stock cooler(about 65 degrees AT MAX) something is probably not right

Coffeelake is known to run hot, shouldn't be quite this hot at stock settings, but it's normal for them to run hotter than Ryzens.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Stock speeds shouldn't be that high. Check your heat sink mount and thermal paste application. 

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Coffeelake is known to run hot, shouldn't be quite this hot at stock settings, but it's normal for them to run hotter than Ryzens.

That is probably the temperature if oc'ed but since its not oc'ed idk

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC 3,7ghz
  • Motherboard
    ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM
  • GPU
    GTX 1060 6gb
  • Case
    Segotep Chariot TF
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Evga 600w B+
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    3x 120mm case fans
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder Elite
  • Sound
    Razer Kraken Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

Is Intel using mayo again under the IHS..?

Also hope the fans were already owned or the cooler since the combined price would have afforded a more premium cooler.

Just now, Masturnar said:

Asus MOBO have Asus Multicore Enhancement activated by default so every core are running 4.7 GHz. So this is why your chip is so hot. It's running OC by default on your air cooler.

This is insightful! Would you say it accounts for the difference in heat, or still abnormally high?

I'll re-seat the cooler if I need to, I just want to be sure it's absolutely necessary before that pain in the butt haha.

Air cooler with 90C on all 6 cores at 4.7GHZ. I guess it's normal since people are running this chip in the high 70 with 280mm liquid cooler.

16 minutes ago, Gpuprodamnn said:

can't compare different cpus like that, like saying a r9 290x should run cooler because a 780ti is running cool. Coffee lake runs hot AF and if intel is still screwing up their tim job, spoiler: they are,  then it's no surprise to see some hot cpus. 

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

18 minutes ago, Masturnar said:

Air cooler with 90C on all 6 cores at 4.7GHZ. I guess it's normal since people are running this chip in the high 70 with 280mm liquid cooler.

This is worth trying. Since you have an ASUS board.

50 minutes ago, TheCoconutCookie said:

Is it really obviously a problem with cooling performance? And no, stock speeds.

Try the following :

1. Reaplly thermal paste and re-install cooler.

2. If the temp doesn`t drop, you have two choices : 1: live with it 2: Delid the processor (void warranty, andddd im not responsible if it goes bad) and apply liquid metal. Your temps are gonna be 15-20 C LOWER !

I delided my 6600k, and I can push it a lot farther with the delid !

Server 1 PC                                                   Server 2 PC                                               GEAR

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700                                                   CPU: Athlon 200GE                                               Keyboard: Logitech G Pro Keyboard

Motherboard: Aorus AX-X370-K7                            Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H              Mouse: Logitech G900

CPU Cooler: Wraith Spire RGB                                CPU Cooler: Stock Cooler                                    Mousepad : Corsair MM300

Ram: Kingston 32GB 2666MHz                                Ram: Patriot Signature Line 8GB 2666MHz          Monitor: Acer XZ350CU Black 35" 21:9 144 Hz  

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti                              HDD: 1X WD Red 2TB                                           Headphones : Audio technica ATH-AD700X                          

HDD: 5X Seagate Barracuda 7.2k RPM 1TB            SSD: 1X128GB Samsung Evo                              Speakers: Logitech Z506 5.1

SSD: 2X512GB Samsung Evo                                  PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR 500 W1

PSU: HGC 850W Antec 80+ Bronze                         Case: Rosewill 2U Server Chassis

Case: Rosewill 4U Server Chassis           

51 minutes ago, ethebigd said:

Try the following :

1. Reaplly thermal paste and re-install cooler.

2. If the temp doesn`t drop, you have two choices : 1: live with it 2: Delid the processor (void warranty, andddd im not responsible if it goes bad) and apply liquid metal. Your temps are gonna be 15-20 C LOWER !

I delided my 6600k, and I can push it a lot farther with the delid !

Appreciate the suggestion for delid, but that's not something I'm willing to do at this point. I suppose now I'm weighing whether I believe the heat is due to ASUS MCE, or due to poor heatsink instalation, which would require the lengthy process of reseating.

Just now, TheCoconutCookie said:

Appreciate the suggestion for delid, but that's not something I'm willing to do at this point. I suppose now I'm weighing whether I believe the heat is due to ASUS MCE, or due to poor heatsink instalation, which would require the lengthy process of reseating.

Look if your asus board auto oc it as mentionned by a few people. If not, try using fix voltages instead of auto ... like 1.895 to 1.2 ... might lower temp (make sure you disable the auto oc before doing that). Also, if you don't like the temp, you can try to disable the turbo but it`s going to hurt the performance quite a bit !

Server 1 PC                                                   Server 2 PC                                               GEAR

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700                                                   CPU: Athlon 200GE                                               Keyboard: Logitech G Pro Keyboard

Motherboard: Aorus AX-X370-K7                            Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H              Mouse: Logitech G900

CPU Cooler: Wraith Spire RGB                                CPU Cooler: Stock Cooler                                    Mousepad : Corsair MM300

Ram: Kingston 32GB 2666MHz                                Ram: Patriot Signature Line 8GB 2666MHz          Monitor: Acer XZ350CU Black 35" 21:9 144 Hz  

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti                              HDD: 1X WD Red 2TB                                           Headphones : Audio technica ATH-AD700X                          

HDD: 5X Seagate Barracuda 7.2k RPM 1TB            SSD: 1X128GB Samsung Evo                              Speakers: Logitech Z506 5.1

SSD: 2X512GB Samsung Evo                                  PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR 500 W1

PSU: HGC 850W Antec 80+ Bronze                         Case: Rosewill 2U Server Chassis

Case: Rosewill 4U Server Chassis           

It definitely has MCE enabled, I'm just debating whether that factor is enough to justify the high Temps or if it's the cooler application. There might be no way to know for sure unless I try

6 hours ago, Kirito24 said:

Stock speeds shouldn't be that high. Check your heat sink mount and thermal paste application. 

Alright update: I just reapplied the thermal paste. The first 2 photos are what it looked like removed (I don't think too bad?) and the last 2 are the current. Temps are identical. Looks like a cooling issue/naturally hot processors is my guess?

IMG_20171028_155050.jpg

IMG_20171028_155055.jpg

IMG_20171027_165812.jpg

IMG_20171028_163107.jpg

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Under those conditions and re-seating the cooler, the PC should perform just fine. Therefore there are two possibilities:

1. Your motherboard is reporting incorrect temperatures (or software is doing this). The platform is very new so this is possible.

2. Your CPUs TIM is garbage. The TIM Intel uses is terrible, but it really shouldn't be that bad. I guess you could delid the processor if you wanted to, but who know if it will help. Not to mention you will void your warranty. 

Praying it's the first. I suppose I could do an upgrade to a higher quality CPU cooler if necessary.

1 minute ago, Masturnar said:

Have you check BIOS to look if MCE was enabled ?

It is yes, my question above was "I'm just debating whether that factor alone is enough to justify the high Temps", or if it's actually in need of a better cooler etc. Worst case I'll leave MCE on for the performance, the throttles are rare, and maybe upgrade the air cooler if necessary.

10 hours ago, TheCoconutCookie said:

It is yes, my question above was "I'm just debating whether that factor alone is enough to justify the high Temps", or if it's actually in need of a better cooler etc. Worst case I'll leave MCE on for the performance, the throttles are rare, and maybe upgrade the air cooler if necessary.

Your cooler is good enough. First things to check when you have hot temps are voltages and idle in BIOS. If idle in BIOS is 50C or higher, you have definitely bad mount. If its 45C or under, thats normal. But I would say its voltages causing this. You can check it very easy by disabling any auto-OC or using manual voltages.

Not saying that you can't OC. But auto-OC is known to push volts over what is really needed.

Also, refrain from using P95 for any testing. It really isn't worth anymore when we have Aida64, OCCT and Asus RealBench for better testing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thermal paste wasn't bad at all and the amount you put on is more than enough... If MCE is turned off and your cooler is rated well enough to handle your TDP, might want to look at delidding, but like the person above me said, check your temps and and voltages at idle in the BIOS. Make sure that any auto OC is turned off. Something to consider, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, is to set your voltage to manual and use the stock settings out of the box. I know some motherboards allow for you to set a maximum voltage spike but still allow your CPU to throttle down when idle. I know there are a lot of great tutorials out there that would be similar to your board. Plus it helps that the BIOS with ASUS are pretty much the same across the product line when it comes to interface so following a tutorial for kaby or skylake shouldn't be that big of an issue. Again, people here are always here to help if you need it.

8 hours ago, Kirito24 said:

Thermal paste wasn't bad at all and the amount you put on is more than enough... If MCE is turned off and your cooler is rated well enough to handle your TDP, might want to look at delidding, but like the person above me said, check your temps and and voltages at idle in the BIOS. Make sure that any auto OC is turned off. Something to consider, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, is to set your voltage to manual and use the stock settings out of the box. I know some motherboards allow for you to set a maximum voltage spike but still allow your CPU to throttle down when idle. I know there are a lot of great tutorials out there that would be similar to your board. Plus it helps that the BIOS with ASUS are pretty much the same across the product line when it comes to interface so following a tutorial for kaby or skylake shouldn't be that big of an issue. Again, people here are always here to help if you need it.

Temps within BIOS are normal. Not high at all, which is good and means it's probably not my mount (probably ASUS auto high voltages as people are suggesting). I decided to say f*** it and buy a Noctua NH-D15. Will report back with those temps Tuesday. If the change is minimal I can always return it.