Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will a 34" LG Ultrawide work with my laptop at 144hz?

I have an ASUS ROG STRIX laptop which I shall link here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XD5BNMZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am looking to buy this monitor: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-34uc79g-34-2560x1080-ips-freesync-144hz-curved-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-14c-lg.html

What I want to know is, will my laptop be able to support the max res and the max refresh rate? I'm inexperienced at this, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

best way to tell is using the game settings you have now have a look at the fps in some games to see what your getting, if its not holding 144+ fps then no it wont handle it, what settings are you games running ? like low, med, high or max ?

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

If the laptop's video out port (and version) supports 1440p@144Hz, then I don't see why not.

Also the GPU is from Nvidia, so forget about using the Freesync function.

Amazon specs list the video out port as HDMI but not the version. Thus I can't say for certain that it will handle the res and refresh rate you want.

Never owned an Asus gaming laptop.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

If the laptop's video out port (and version) supports 1440p@144Hz, then I don't see why not.

Also the GPU is from Nvidia, so forget about using the Freesync function.

Amazon specs list the video out port as HDMI but not the version. Thus I can't say for certain that it will handle the res and refresh rate you want.

Never owned an Asus gaming laptop.

just because it supports it don't mean it will run it, aside for refresh rate, its what about 700k more pixels to push ? and the higher the refresh rate the more demanding it will be, never tested a 1050 laptop edition so not sure of its power but seeing as its only 1080p I don't see why it wouldn't, question is what settings it would need to push 144hz, if ot needs to be low would that be worth it ?

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

Well I don't play any resource intensive games like PUBG or anything, just games like Rocket League and Minecraft really. Rocket league can run on max settings with ease. I shall get on them now and report back with FPS readings. 

I also forgot to mention that I've been playing said games on a 25" LG ultrawide. It's just that I'm unsure if the 34" will be worth getting. 

4 minutes ago, Brett_Bst said:

just because it supports it don't mean it will run it, aside for refresh rate, its what about 700k more pixels to push ? and the higher the refresh rate the more demanding it will be, never tested a 1050 laptop edition so not sure of its power but seeing as its only 1080p I don't see why it wouldn't, question is what settings it would need to push 144hz, if ot needs to be low would that be worth it ?

You fail to make the distinction between refresh rate and framerate. A 144Hz display will refresh at 144Hz given a connection that supports the framerate at resolution. And yes it will still be refreshing at 144Hz even at the desktop where the GPU only operates at 60fps. OP is asking if the res and refresh rate is supported, not if he will be getting 144fps in games (he didn't even mention gaming)

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, a71ad_ said:

I also forgot to mention that I've been playing said games on a 25" LG ultrawide. It's just that I'm unsure if the 34" will be worth getting. 

If that 25" Ultrawide was also 2560x1080 and 144Hz, then yes the 34" will work the same. Its the resolution and refresh rate that matters. Size is meaningless for data transmission.

the 25UM58-P LG uses HDMI 2.0 @60hz some say 75hz and some say its 2460x1080 or 2560x1080.

The laptop don't say what the specs are without knowing what the gpu is

The 25" one was at 60hz, sorry I should've mentioned before. Generally speaking, I'm looking at this monitor to enhance my viewing experience. It'll be for games and for watching videos. 

Rocket League caps at 60 with VSync on + max settings and caps around 130 without VSync and max settings on the 25" ultrawide (at 60hz).

47 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

If that 25" Ultrawide was also 2560x1080 and 144Hz, then yes the 34" will work the same. Its the resolution and refresh rate that matters. Size is meaningless for data transmission.

as said above it should be ok, shame you cant go in a shop witht the laptop and run a few games lol

HDMI 1.4a will not support that resolution and refresh rate guys...Cmon... You will want a 2560X1440@60 panel (max supported) the hdmi level your laptop has does not even support 1920X1080@120.

Your laptop doesn't have Displayport so those are your only options unfortunately the monitor is not the issue.

So effectively does this mean that the monitor I'm looking at will be 2560x1080 just at 60hz?

There's another version of the LG monitor which is similar. It's not curved and is only 75hz, would it be more worthwhile to get the 75hz one instead?

12 minutes ago, PPCs-Kat said:

HDMI 1.4a will not support that resolution and refresh rate guys...Cmon... You will want a 2560X1440@60 panel (max supported) the hdmi level your laptop has does not even support 1920X1080@120.

Your laptop doesn't have Displayport so those are your only options unfortunately the monitor is not the issue.

HDMI 1.4a will work fine for 1080p 120 Hz if the monitor supports it over HDMI.