2K monitor won't display 3440x1440 res?

a71ad_

First off I just wanna say I'm inexperienced so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Basically, I bought a 34" 2k Ultrawide monitor to use with my ASUS ROG Strix laptop (that has a GTX 1050). As the laptop only has HDMI, I used that. For some reason, the max resolution that it allows me to choose is 2560x1440 when, as I said, it should be able to display 3440x1440. Is there a problem with the HDMI cable? Or the laptop/monitor itself maybe?

The monitor: ElectriQ 34″ 2K Quad HD Freesync Curved Gaming Monitor – eiq-34CMUWQ60GAFS

Which hdmi version is the laptop port and your cable?

I'm unsure how to find out, Ive searched my laptops model number and it doesn't specify that. It only says HDMI, not HDMI 2.0 or anything. Sorry.

Whole point in me coming here was to get advice as nothing I have found on google has helped

Googled how to turn it on, my Nvidia control panel doesn't have any DSR options that they're talking about. 

Most Strix laptops have Mini displayport right next to the hdmi it should be between the ethernet and hdmi. Your going to want to MiniDP to Displayport cable for your monitor instead of HDMI since 1440P@60 is best HDMI 1.4 can do before going to 30hz.

I don't have MiniDP on this laptop, is there another option at all?

Just now, a71ad_ said:

I don't have MiniDP on this laptop, is there another option at all?

Can you share the model number of laptop? most GTX 10 series rogs should have it here (picture is 1050 variant)minidisplayport.PNG.fb37af972c7dacc934f16d14969db07b.PNG

Unless...you have the model with cd drive then ouch :( how long is your hdmi cable and what brand? shorter is better

Going from the amazon order: ASUS ROG Strix ZX553VD-DM640T

Yeah, it does have a CD drive. I used the HDMI cable that came with the monitor. It's also a meter long. 

11 minutes ago, a71ad_ said:

Going from the amazon order: ASUS ROG Strix ZX553VD-DM640T

Yeah, it does have a CD drive. I used the HDMI cable that came with the monitor. It's also a meter long. 

It could be that displays not sending DID and since its using optimus the igpu is responsible for rendering the display but we can try something.

Right click your desktop and open nvidia control panel then click change resolution. Select the proper display then click customize.check the box  "Enable resolutions not exposed by the display" accept the terms that pops up and then punch in 3440 horizontal pixels 1440 Vertical lines and set your refresh rate to 59hz and click test...it should work but you may be locked down to 30hz because its right at the edge of half the res of 4K and 7700HQ is HDMI 1.4

You can also go into the intel control panel and try force setting it but it may say there is not enough bandwidth.

That's where i run into problems, I have no option to change resolution on the Nvidia control panel. 

I put in 3440x1440 and it's telling me that this exceeds maximum bandwidth

I would settle for 2560x1080 just like my 25" lg ultrawide has, however every other res i choose from always looks stretched out on this new one