IBM claims new ‘in-memory’ computing architecture will speed up computers by 200 times

Captain Gecko

IBM Researchers believe this new prototype technology will enable ultra-dense, low-power, and massively parallel computing systems that are especially useful for AI applications. The researchers tested the new architecture using an unsupervised machine-learning algorithm running on one million phase change memory (PCM) devices, successfully finding temporal correlations in unknown data streams.

Original article http://www.kurzweilai.net/ibm-scientists-say-radical-new-in-memory-computing-architecture-will-speed-up-computers-by-200-times 

von-Neumann-vs-computational-memory.png

10/10 great post by the OP.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

Doubtful 

why ? Architecture plays a major role in computer performance . This is a radical departure from standard Von-Neumann/M.Harvard architectures .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Cool stuff sadly the thread will be moved since it does not attend the criteria for being posted in this section.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

If someone wants to re-post it properly, they are more than welcome, I just thought it was interesting. 

14 minutes ago, Sniperpaul296 said:

I just thought it was interesting. 

Nobody's bashing or any thing, it is interesting by all means... there simply is a posting rule that should be met for this particularly section [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

39 minutes ago, Sniperpaul296 said:

If someone wants to re-post it properly, they are more than welcome, I just thought it was interesting. 

You could change it to fit the posting guidelines as well. 

5 hours ago, HomeBoi said:

But will it improve crysis fps?

No, but it will give the AI bots the processing power they need to develop a virus for your PC that allows them to escape the confines of the game and reek havoc on the rest of the world.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Finally, with this maybe i can run crysis now...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 hours ago, Leshya said:

So IBM, through a new architecture is claiming to have 200X the speed of current attainable performance. In other words this could me a game changer.

The theory behind his claim is quite interesting with the idea being memory isn’t used to its fullest potential.

I’m interested to see how this affects the wider populous and wheather this is simply tailored to one specific task as seen with intels refreshes claiming “up to” 15% improvements in certain tasks.

Examples of this performance is as follows;

Sauce:

http://www.kurzweilai.net/ibm-scientists-say-radical-new-in-memory-computing-architecture-will-speed-up-computers-by-200-times 

von-Neumann-vs-computational-memory.png

So are they saying it's faster if the ALU of used to help get the address for the next instruction from main memory and bypass the cache?

The thing is that this has been know for a very long time, there were computers that implemented a non-von Neumann architecture back in the '50s and they are  still used in some specialized applications, this is not a non-von Neumann. When I was getting my BSCS we had lots of discussions of the various reasons that the von Neumann architecture was settled on for the core of generalized computers. nvN architectures require you to fetch instructions in a non-sequential way, and be able to process them out of order - the last few generations of x86 chips are actually moving in this direction more than this is due to the fact that both Intel and AMD seem to have solved some of the generalization issues that normally happen when dealing with out of sequence operations. What it appears IBM is doing is effectively drastically increasing the cache size for each individual control unit. So they move the bottleneck farther out to between the "computational memory" and the "conventional memory". So if I am understanding things correctly what they will be doing is trading chip real-estate on the CPU dies between CPU/Cache transistors and "computational memory" transistors. I question if this is a worthwhile trade off - it might be or it might not be. Can the CPU die size really afford several GB of memory on die to handle having enough of this new memory type to be worth the effort for general use?

Considering many tasks are IO bound I can actually see this having a noticeable effect. Maybe not as much as they say but it could help with better parallelization of tasks. Idk, I didn't actually read the full article so I'm not sure how they're implementing it aside from what I gathered from the title and diagram.