Looking For New Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T470, Lenovo ThinkPad X270, Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon, Dell XPS 15 9560

So i've been looking for a new laptop for quite a while now. And recently, i stumbled upon four laptops, but i don't know which of them is best. So, i'll just link all of them down below.

Dell XPS 15

http://www.dell.com/dk/p/xps-15-9560-laptop/pd?oc=cnx95603&model_id=xps-15-9560-laptop#overrides=cnx95603:55~FPR81;463~475604

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/X1-Carbon-5th-Generation/p/22TP2TXX15G?irgwc=1&clickid=TeaRdh0TAzj1zG7xDMShE0WaUkmyGxyH4THF1w0&PID=13013&acid=ww:affiliate:bv0as6

Lenovo ThinkPad T470

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/T470/p/22TP2TT4700?irgwc=1&clickid=TeaRdh0TAzj1zG7xDMShE0WaUkmyG2Vu4THF1w0&PID=13013&acid=ww:affiliate:bv0as6

Lenovo ThinkPad X270

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X270/p/22TP2TX2700

So these are the four laptops i've looked quite a bit at, but i still don't know which one i should go with, or if i should choose a completely different one. But of course, if you need to help me choose, you probably need to know what i'll use it for, and what i need.

Astrophotography, and controlling my telescope: As i'm very interested in astronomy (and penguins). A good cpu (and battery life).

School: I also attend a private school, so this is also going to be my school computer. So battery life would be nice.

Documentaries and movies: About space and such. A good screen (non-touch).

Research and browsing the internet: Probably a good idea to let you know that i have 6 tabs open most of the time. So 16 gigs of ram would be nice (i can live with 8).

Light gaming (if any): I have a desktop so it will only be used for gaming in school breaks, or on holidays. So a decent gpu would be lovely.

Bose QuietComfort 35: I just want to know if an external sound card is necessary, or if it already has a good one (I'll just buy a good external sound card if needed).

PS It doesn't need to be the most portable device, my brothers 17 inch i'm using atm i have no problem taking with me. But please keep it a little smaller, as i prefer a portable device :)

So this is basically my needs, and the laptops i've looked at, and remember, it doesn't need to be these laptops.. So please help find the best laptop for my needs.

10 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

The U series dual cores become quad cores with 8 threads on KB-R. It's a 50% CPU performance boost.

If that is correct, then yeah, definitly wait for KabyLake R

Aside from that, personally, I would go with the T470, because is has an ethernet port and you can upgrade to a 48Wh battery (I know a guy with a T470, and he does more than a day of near constant use without recharging). Spec-wise, there is not much difference I think (you can configure most of them too), so just have a look at IO and battery-life.

Be safe, don't drink and sudo

Laptop: ASUS K541UA (i5-6198DU, 8GB RAM, 250GB 850 EVO) OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

Desktop: i7-7700, ASUS Strix H270F, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD from laptop, some HDD's, iGPU, some NIC's, OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

2 minutes ago, 101dmrs said:

If that is correct, then yeah, definitly wait for KabyLake R

Aside from that, personally, I would go with the T470, because is has an ethernet port and you can upgrade to a 48Wh battery (I know a guy with a T470, and he does more than a day of near constant use without recharging). Spec-wise, there is not much difference I think (you can configure most of them too), so just have a look at IO and battery-life.

I see, thanks :D

Right, so i've done a bit of research and narrowed it down to the Lenovo ThinkPad T470 vs the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon. Please help me decide.

Size is not a problem: My school is really close, and i have a bigger laptop atm which isn't that bad (when it comes to weight) to be honest.

I want good battery life: Since i'll be doing a lot of research, with many tabs open. Though it isn't the biggest priority because i'll have easy acces to chargers where i'll be using it most of the time. Would be really nice with 12 hours when having a few tabs open or something.

Good keyboard I've heard both are good, so i'm fine with either.

A good screen: I'll be watching quite a lot of movies, and documentaries.

Looks. I like the X1 Carbon looks a tad bit more, but i'm really fine with either.

Future proof: Would be nice to have a future proof laptop as i don't really plan on upgrading down the line. Will do if necessary of course..

And as i stated above, i'll be using it for

Astrophotography, and controlling my telescope: As i'm very interested in astronomy (and penguins). A good cpu (and battery life).

School: I also attend a private school, so this is also going to be my school computer. So battery life would be nice.

Research and browsing the internet: Probably a good idea to let you know that i have 6 tabs open most of the time. So 16 gigs of ram would be nice (i can live with 8).

Light gaming (if any): I have a desktop so it will only be used for gaming in school breaks, or on holidays. So a decent gpu would be lovely. Though not really needed.. Not a priority!!

Bose QuietComfort 35: I just want to know if an external sound card is necessary, or if it already has a good one (I'll just buy a good external sound card if needed).

9 hours ago, Droidbot said:

The U series dual cores become quad cores with 8 threads on KB-R. It's a 50% CPU performance boost.

ITS OUT :D

Waiting for a power user to stress test the shit out of it. 

9 hours ago, Marius5013 said:

snip

Some are already out of KBLR. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

6 hours ago, Pendragon said:

ITS OUT :D

Waiting for a power user to stress test the shit out of it. 

Some are already out of KBLR. 

yeah, I've seen some in local shops already

x280 will finally give my 2570 a rival in terms of performance

idk

The ThinkPad T470p offers also quad core KBL CPUs with dedicated GPU. If it's not terribly urgent it might be good to wait for Coffe Lake.

Personally I wait for a T480(p) and would like to see if they carried over some good stuff from the T25 like the 7 row keyboard. Unfortunately the T25 was only available with 1080p screen. I want at least 1600p (2560x1600).

23 hours ago, Slippery Vagoo said:

Don't pick the x1 carbon, it is one of those style over substance machines which sacrifices usability for looks. You should definitely pick the T470 if you are not waiting for 8th gen Processors.

Well, i won't be able to buy it now. I will in December-January so i am waiting for the 8th gen processors i suppose..

17 hours ago, visitor2015 said:

The ThinkPad T470p offers also quad core KBL CPUs with dedicated GPU. If it's not terribly urgent it might be good to wait for Coffe Lake.

Personally I wait for a T480(p) and would like to see if they carried over some good stuff from the T25 like the 7 row keyboard. Unfortunately the T25 was only available with 1080p screen. I want at least 1600p (2560x1600).

It isn't urgent, and that's why i'm going to wait for the new processors. I just like to have things planned ahead so i know what to buy or look for.

On 10/25/2017 at 8:08 AM, Marius5013 said:

So i've been looking for a new laptop for quite a while now. And recently, i stumbled upon four laptops, but i don't know which of them is best. So, i'll just link all of them down below.

Dell XPS 15

http://www.dell.com/dk/p/xps-15-9560-laptop/pd?oc=cnx95603&model_id=xps-15-9560-laptop#overrides=cnx95603:55~FPR81;463~475604

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/X1-Carbon-5th-Generation/p/22TP2TXX15G?irgwc=1&clickid=TeaRdh0TAzj1zG7xDMShE0WaUkmyGxyH4THF1w0&PID=13013&acid=ww:affiliate:bv0as6

Lenovo ThinkPad T470

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/T470/p/22TP2TT4700?irgwc=1&clickid=TeaRdh0TAzj1zG7xDMShE0WaUkmyG2Vu4THF1w0&PID=13013&acid=ww:affiliate:bv0as6

Lenovo ThinkPad X270

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X270/p/22TP2TX2700

So these are the four laptops i've looked quite a bit at, but i still don't know which one i should go with, or if i should choose a completely different one. But of course, if you need to help me choose, you probably need to know what i'll use it for, and what i need.

Light gaming (if any): I have a desktop so it will only be used for gaming in school breaks, or on holidays. So a decent gpu would be lovely.

PS It doesn't need to be the most portable device, my brothers 17 inch i'm using atm i have no problem taking with me. But please keep it a little smaller, as i prefer a portable device :)

So this is basically my needs, and the laptops i've looked at, and remember, it doesn't need to be these laptops.. So please help find the best laptop for my needs.

I love Thinkpad the IBM T40 was my first laptop in college.  I guess it depends on how much you game?  Personally the X1 Carbon would be my pick since I already have a 9560 and a desktop, but if you needed a laptop that doesn't everything fairly well the Dell 9560 or a Gigabyte 14/15 would be my picks.  Both these computers have dedicated GPUs so AAA titles are not out of the question, they are fairly thin and light, and they have massive batteries.  

If I were buying a laptop for college yeah a T470 for it's value and robust build would be the best thing since I dropped my laptop a ton back then and spilled a few beers on my desk.  If you have the extra money the ultra thin design of the X1 is awesome though and would be a computer great for typing or bringing into a boardroom out of college.  

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42"